• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KaMaRo

KaMaRo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

alright, i've been using vista since Jan 31st. the day it released. i've got my opinion and i wanna hear your's. now keep in mind if you've never used it, don't have it, or have no clue what the hell i'm talking about. then you have no right to put your 2 cents in. other than that, express yo self niegal!

Edited by KaMaRo, 02 September 2007 - 10:48 PM.

#2 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

I have vista with 2gigs of ram and a 8800 so vista was a must at least for me.If you dont have either i say xp but i enjoy the pretties of vista.Also the only downfall with vista for me is that i have to put way more cpu volts to overclock for 3.0 i need 1.481 in xp i only need 1.25 so my temps suffer but i can deal with it.There hasn't been one program i use to not work in vista.

#3 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

vista fucking sucks, end of story.

#4 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

vista f*cking sucks, end of story.

^^Is that from personal use or what you've been told???

#5 The Punisher

The Punisher

Who Knows?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

hasnt there been 7000 topics on this?

#6 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

^^Is that from personal use or what you've been told???

I agree with InColdBlood, and for me it's a little bit of both.

I've used Vista. Is the interface nifty? Yes. Did it steal some much needed features that are useful? Yes. But that doesn't really matter when it eats up 17% of your performance compared to XP.

IMO, they fix the performance issues, debug the OS, and just make it generally better, then it will be good. When and if this will happen? I don't know.

Microsoft made a huge mistake making DirectX 10 a Vista only plugin.

Microsoft thought people would flock to Vista because it had DX10, just like Sony thought people would eat up the PS3 because it would play Blu-Ray. But just like Sony, Microsoft has yet to learn that people aren't going to buy into that gimmick anymore.

Until there is a real need for Windows Vista. (i.e. a badass DirectX 10 game with a really noticeable difference between DX10 and 9) then you should stay with XP.

(Oh and if you defend Vista, prepare for Shadow to yell at you) :evil:

#7 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

At the moment, there isn't really a contest here. XP has had most of it's wrinkles smoothed and has less issues. I think Vista will eventually turn out better than XP, but it needs time. I plan doing a complete rebuild in the next year and I will probably get Vista so that I dont have to worry about it later.

Edited by *CHILIDOG*, 03 September 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#8 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

1) It needs time to get the bugs out.

2) It needs Microsoft to get their head out their ass and not charge $400 for the *supposide* gaming version.

#9 EpicFail:/

EpicFail:/

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

XP FTW. I had to cut my hard drive from 250 to 125 gigs and get a new copy of windows from somewhere, still don't really know why ._.

#10 *3RD sfg* killswitch

*3RD sfg* killswitch

"Nope, That Instantly made it worse."

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:20 AM

Bought a laptop that had vista on it. 30 days later, format, install XP Corp. The laptop had some issues with hardware drivers only being out for Vista. found some work arounds for the issues and have been running smooth ever since. Computer also runs faster with XP.

#11 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:24 AM

I'm currently on xp on my desktop and vista on my laptop. Not really sure if I like vista. It does some things really well (network discovery for one), but is a little slower. Haven't had any program compatibility issues on it, and overall it's kind of nice. We'll see how long it takes to get up to ~XP performance levels. Most of the memory hogging issues are just it caching programs (it gives it up instantly if something else needs it) so I really don't think 3 gigs is really necessary. (Running 1.5 right now on my laptop). My biggest gripe with it is that I can't find half the menus I'm used to in XP (like folder view options etc.)

#12 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

When i built my pc, i installed vista business, used it for about a month, then wiped it since there were no dx10 anything at the time.. but just when i wiped it and put xp back on, stuff started coming out... so now i have XP, Vista, and Gentoo Linux... i use XP mostly.. i only get on vista when some new dx10 thing comes out (world in conflict demo, bioshock demo, etc).. vista is not super horrible, but there is nothing really special about it, and the performance drop is noticeable... so for right now, its XP all the way (and maybe dual boot with vista, if you got a dx10 setup)

#13 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Im staying with XP for a little while longer. Im lazy and dont like changing things unless I have to. XP FTW, at least for now.

#14 Lone Rapist

Lone Rapist

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

vista has to many problems. like turning of your sound, and sh*t like that. once they get a service packet for it, it should be better, but as of now, xp ftw.

#15 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

Vista is a memory hog. That is the only real downside for me. You know something is retarded when you look and its using 500MB of your memory while idle.

It does search alot faster though.

#16 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

Vista's usage isn't justified as the DX9 / 10 difference is currently not big enough.

#17 KaMaRo

KaMaRo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

Vista is a memory hog. That is the only real downside for me. You know something is retarded when you look and its using 500MB of your memory while idle.

It does search alot faster though.

Vista's usage isn't justified as the DX9 / 10 difference is currently not big enough.

i agree with both these statements. the fact is vista is a completely new os. it takes more space and more memory. it does f*cking idle using at least 512, witch is beyond me. but i think if you have enough ram it'll make it worth you while. i have 2 gig in my laptop, along with an intel dual core, with vista and it blazes especially with multi tasking. i know if i went back to xp it see an increased performance, but i think i'd be sewing up the potential of my pc.

#18 Yacht

Yacht

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

I'll be sticking with XP until Vista becomes a little more homegrown, and most of the driver problems are fixed. Some of the other online games I play aren't compatable with Vista yet, and that's a bummer.
And like it was previously stated, DX10 isn't even being used by many games yet. (At it's full potential) So, I can wait. 8D

#19 $VT-c0brA

$VT-c0brA

drunken master

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

1) It needs time to get the bugs out.

2) It needs Microsoft to get their head out their ass and not charge $400 for the *supposide* gaming version.

+1

ps. xp ftw

#20 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

As usual with Microsoft's products, they need about a year or so to mature before they are worth looking into. XP sucked cock (maybe even more than Vista) for the longest time before some of the major bugs and issues were fixed. Windows 98 was the same way (BSOD heaven for one)...

I suspect Windows 95 was the same way, but I was not using PC's at the time of the release so I do not know. Although I have also used Windows 3.11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users