• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Useless Distraction

Useless Distraction

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

Ok, so I got the Orange Box for Christmas and installed it on my computer. I went to launch it then it froze, canceled out the program, and said I needed DirectX 8.0 or higher to run it. Now, we've been installing like DirectX 8.0 stuff off the internet but it still won't launch. All of my other Steam games work fine, such as CS:S and DOD:S but TF2 won't work. What is the problem? I don't understand this DirectX stuff! Please help!

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Your video card (that integrated intel) does not support dx8 or above... nothing you can do except buy a new video card... unless TF2 has the same thing where you can run it in dx7 (like HL2 or CSS), but i dont know about that...

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

No, you need a video card that supports DX8 due to the effects used in TF2 (such as the spy cloaking) aren't supported under DX7.

#4 Useless Distraction

Useless Distraction

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

Oh, ok. Thank you! :) Well, I may just get the video card for my laptop instead of my computer because the video card on my laptop is the only thing stopping me from playing my games right now. Well, thanks! :)

#5 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Oh, ok. Thank you! :) Well, I may just get the video card for my laptop instead of my computer because the video card on my laptop is the only thing stopping me from playing my games right now. Well, thanks! :)

Am I missing something here? Ususally laptops arent upgradable as far as video cards go. Most of the time they dont even have a "card" its either integrated or soldered on.

EDIT: Looking at your previous posts you have the intel GMA950. It should support Dx9 games but yeah have fun getting it to work well.

Edited by The Drizzle, 26 December 2007 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users