• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hey guys, recently when i plug a usb device into the front port of my computer once the metal of the usb device touches the metal of the usb port my computer freezes solid, but only sometimes. I noticed that the usb device isn't even in the port before it freezes, so basically on contact it freezes, but only sometimes. Other times it works normally. I have tried my canon camera, my Kingston memory stick, my memorex memory stick, everything does it, even just the wire for the camera makes it freeze sometimes. I cant for the life of me figure out what would cause this, other than maybe some kind of electrical shock that invents its self and travels through the usb port and manages to freeze the computer so i have to manually restart. The weird part is it just recently started doing this.

Any help appreciated. I hope this does not stump you guys like it has me.

Matt

#2 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

easy, just don't use that port

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

If you built the computer yourself, then you might have fucked up the jumpers on the motherboard. Check your manual and make sure the jumpers are correctly hooked up.

Other then that.... Don't use it.

#4 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

My headset does the same thing. Every once in a while when I plug it into the front port, my computer restarts. I just live with it lol.

#5 Armitage

Armitage

Journeyman

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

if you do what zeke said and check the jumper configuration and make sure you don't have it backwards or something is weird, what you can do is order a cheap usb port with the cable, like the one on the front of your tower and just attach it to the spot on your motherboard where that port is and plug something to it and see it freaks out, then you know its the board, if not then you know its faulty port/wiring, maybe the power for the port is grounding on the case? just looking at it from an electrical stand point. good luck.

#6 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

ya, i checked the config, i was sure it was good, cause i did it myself, (i learned from my mistake the first time, plugged it upside down on the mobo, and lost a 30$ usb bluetooth adapter) and it was, i unplugged, then and put them back, if it still does it i am going with plan b. Plan b is exactly what armitage said, buy new ports for the front. I will never live with this, if its broken, i fix it, thats my rule. Also it is the usb in the front, i will not like having to go to the back every time i have to plug in my usb devices.
Thanks, Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users