21 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

Ok, so I'm getting a 3870HD soon, as you know, and I figured that now is as good of a time as any to at least try Vista. (on my own computer)

So I got it and it's on a DVD.

I wanted to keep XP incase it didn't work out so I got this systemrestoreCD thing...basically a Linux LiveCD distro used for the sole purpose of resizing/renaming/doing whatever you want with partitions. I made a 30GB partition, installed Vista on it and...goddamn...there's a lot of bad press about it but, you know what, with my specs, which aren't even the best...there is NO drop in performance in games, I played TF2 at the same settings as on XP (1280x1024, all high, 4xAA/8xAF), and if anything, there was actually a gain in performance, even with Aero turned on and all AIDS settings on default. Applications load faster and boot time is not noticeably longer.

It's really not that bad of an operating system, if you can run XP flawlessly then you can probably do the same with Vista, I know I did and actually gained a little performance.

tl;dr:

<3 Linux and Vista isn't that bad.

This morning after a fresh install:

Posted Image

#2 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

Interesting... I've been running Vista for about 6 months, and I'm getting used to it. It's not as horrible as everyone says, but there are still alot of issues that need to be worked out (as with any Microsoft product with less than two years worth of patches...)
I lol'd at the wallpaper.

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Interesting... I've been running Vista for about 6 months, and I'm getting used to it. It's not as horrible as everyone says, but there are still alot of issues that need to be worked out (as with any Microsoft product with less than two years worth of patches...)
I lol'd at the wallpaper.

alky project/ + New Windows in 2 years = no point in Vista.

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

http://forums.boss-g...h...;p=114765

I think Chris is missing the point. It's not that you installed vista (probably half of the people in BoSS have vista installed.... including myself). It's that you constantly have the most outrageous opinion about something (fanboyism), then do a quick 180 with no warning.

There is nothing wrong with having an open mind, accepting that there is such a thing as healthy competition, and that your chosen brand might not be the best.

That being said, I think that Shadow is the same way, but he holds out a bit longer. Remember the XP Service Pack 2 scenario? He held out for years, but eventually he realized that it wasn't the monster that he expected.

IMO, there is no need for vista instead of XP, unless you are curious. I've gotten sick of XP, so now I'm using vista.

#5 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

I held out because that 10 Connection TCP/IP limit that jewed p2p to fuck.

I'm totally not going to *hold out* for vista, if Microsoft think they can motivate me to buy their product, I guess they never Heard of *nix.

#6 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

http://forums.boss-g...h...;p=114765

It's that you constantly have the most outrageous opinion about something (fanboyism), then do a quick 180 with no warning.

Hmm, let's take a look at that topic.

I agree with InColdBlood, and for me it's a little bit of both.

I've used Vista. Is the interface nifty? Yes. Did it steal some much needed features that are useful? Yes. But that doesn't really matter when it eats up 17% of your performance compared to XP.

IMO, they fix the performance issues, debug the OS, and just make it generally better, then it will be good. When and if this will happen? I don't know.

Microsoft made a huge mistake making DirectX 10 a Vista only plugin.

Microsoft thought people would flock to Vista because it had DX10, just like Sony thought people would eat up the PS3 because it would play Blu-Ray. But just like Sony, Microsoft has yet to learn that people aren't going to buy into that gimmick anymore.

Until there is a real need for Windows Vista. (i.e. a badass DirectX 10 game with a really noticeable difference between DX10 and 9) then you should stay with XP.

(Oh and if you defend Vista, prepare for Shadow to yell at you) :evil:

Ok, now if we read the post, we see this:

IMO, they fix the performance issues, debug the OS, and just make it generally better, then it will be good.

They did. It's good. Vista DID suck. Now it's better. It's not like I have a static opinion my entire life. At the PS3's release it completely sucked. Now it's getting progressively bigger.

#7 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

They did. It's good. Vista DID suck. Now it's better. It's not like I have a static opinion my entire life. At the PS3's release it completely sucked. Now it's getting progressively bigger.

why did you single out PS3?

#8 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

why did you single out PS3?

Using it as a valid example. When PSTriple hit the market it was not well received and was too expensive. Now it's catching up because of the increasing demand for Blu-Ray, the lower price, and the higher amount of games.

I know you're a fan of the PS3 but it DID suck at release. Now it doesn't. Similar to Vista.

#9 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

I wanna try vista but i can't "buy" it from their site, i dont have any CDs big enough to hold it, whenver i try to put dvd's in they just get stuck in my drive and i have to take them out and ripp the cd out.

Can anyone help me lol?

#10 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Yeah i used Vista for a month when i built my computer a year ago, and went back to XP because the difference in performance was huge. Now they have wrote better drivers for everything and performance is on par with XP (and with 4gigs, it really flies) and when my XP started causing me lots of trouble about a month ago, i switched to Vista for everyday use and have been using it ever since, and i don't plan to change back to XP, since Vista drivers are on par with Vista's and the extra 1.2 gigs (i only have 2.8 available on a 32 bit OS) really make a difference.

#11 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

So now it is recommended that you use Vista as your OS? If yours specs can handle it of course.

#12 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

I guess it kind of varies. Like Chris said, depending on your hardware Vista may be the better choise from a performance perspective at this point. It doesn't agree perfectly with my specific videocard (actually nor does XP), but it might with yours. And if you're building a new rig, you could probably tailor it to work perfectly with Vista.

#13 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

but they have a 64 bit windows xp.

#14 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I guess it kind of varies. Like Chris said, depending on your hardware Vista may be the better choise from a performance perspective at this point. It doesn't agree perfectly with my specific videocard (actually nor does XP), but it might with yours. And if you're building a new rig, you could probably tailor it to work perfectly with Vista.

I'm gonna try it out anyway. What harm can it possibly be? :evil:

#15 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

but they have a 64 bit windows xp.

wat

I'm gonna try it out anyway. What harm can it possibly be? :evil:

Be warned of two things:

1. System requirements. Like I said before, if you can't run XP flawlessly (full boot to the desktop in under a minute, no lag ever doing anything, at least 2GB of RAM, a dual-core or really nice single-core processor, and a semi-decent video card) then don't even attempt Vista. That means what I said. No GeForce FX cards. No Pentium 4s. If you have the hardware, by all means, but if you don't, it will perform like shit and you'll regret it.

2. Get SP1. If you don't you'll have worse performance and problems transferring large amounts of files between drives. This was the only major problem I encountered with Vista, I couldn't transfer all the shit from my external drive to my Vista partition. Fixed with SP1 though. :D

#16 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

http://www.microsoft...it/default.mspx

thats how i would roll if more programs were compatible..

edit: ill probably be getting a seagate 500gb 32mb hard drive (im running a 320 WD now) and install the x64 on it and see if it suits me, if not, ill put x86 with SP3.
My opinion: another reason not to get vista, hahaha chris you just got it.

Edited by matthew0155, 18 May 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#17 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

Works fine, as I said, if your hardware is shitty shit then don't do it but I've heard Windows XP 64-bit is horrible so let me know how it is.

#18 Snookers

Snookers

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

so is it really worth it to switch over to vista?
im just asking, im fine with xp

#19 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'm pretty damn sure that it's been said enough...but if you would like something new as far as an OS and your hardware can handle it, yes...

otherwise, no

#20 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

wat

Be warned of two things:

1. System requirements. Like I said before, if you can't run XP flawlessly (full boot to the desktop in under a minute, no lag ever doing anything, at least 2GB of RAM, a dual-core or really nice single-core processor, and a semi-decent video card) then don't even attempt Vista. That means what I said. No GeForce FX cards. No Pentium 4s. If you have the hardware, by all means, but if you don't, it will perform like sh*t and you'll regret it.

2. Get SP1. If you don't you'll have worse performance and problems transferring large amounts of files between drives. This was the only major problem I encountered with Vista, I couldn't transfer all the sh*t from my external drive to my Vista partition. Fixed with SP1 though. :D

Alright, thanks man. I'll let you know how it goes. First I gotta get some money though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users