2 replies to this topic

#1 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Ok, i know i've made a topic like this before, but that was to get a general price.

But now, i have the money and we all know technology constantly changes.

I have around 400 right now, my next checks going to be around 140 range some somewhere between 540$ -150 for car payment. So in about 2 weeks i should have enough to build a new decent computer. Which i'm planning on doing.

As stated before, i prefer Nvidia over ATi but thats just me, if theres a better ATi card for cheaper i'll take that in a heartbeat.
I don't need a sound card, i have a fairly decent one right now.

So right now i'm willing to spend around 500-700 for this beast. Lets do it up! Give me some good set-ups!

:tup: :tup:

#2 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Are you overclocking or running stock??

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Probably just overclock a Core2 depending on how much you want to spend on each component, I think the 3870 is great and it can be had for ~$150. However, the 9600 GT is slightly more expensive depending on the vendor. Both cards are excellent and are pretty even on performance (3870 usually edges out the 9600 GT by a smidgen though).

So yeah, a Core2/Athlon X2 (whatever is better for the price) and 38xx ATi/9xxx nVidia series card, 2GB of RAM (RAM is cheaaaaaap), a 500w minimum PSU, and a fairly big hard drive. You could use the hard drive in the current PC but remember that most motherboards these days have many more SATA slots than IDE slots. Try to get at least a 7200RPM SATA hard drive. Many people get a smaller (30GB) SATA hard drive that spins at 10k RPM and put only Windows on that so Windows runs faster and then they just use 7200RPM drives as storage. Also to save money just use the floppy/CD drive out of your current PC but do get a decent case/CPU fan, bad cooling is a fucking nightmare especially for overclockers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users