34 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Ok so my processor runs at 2.6GHz stock and since it's the black edition I have been using it at 2.8 for a while now (increased CPU multiplier). This also made my memory run at 400mhz instead of 370 which it ran at when the proc was at 2.6.

So I figured I'd bump it up even more, so I increased the cpu multiplier to 15x and the processor ran fine at 3.0GHz, although for some reason the memory now ran at 370mhz again.

So I increased the multiplier once more to 3.2GHz and the system didn't POST (just showed a blank screen with a cursor) so I restarted it and increased the CPU voltage to the next level and it ran fine at 3.2GHz. So I booted into Windows and the memory once again ran at 400mhz and everything appeared to be running fine, but then I launched TF2 and played for a little over 5 minutes when the computer froze. Obviously overheating, so I hit the reset button on the front of the machine and it seemed to go through the boot process except when I hit to boot into Windows Vista, I got the "Windows did not shutdown properly" message, so I hit start Windows normally and it says a startup file is missing or corrupt. I've had this happen before, so I stuck in the Vista CD, hit F12, selected boot form CD and it seemed like it was starting up but then I got the "Windows did not startup properly" message again so I hard-reset it again and it was acting weird, so I hard-reset it a fourth time, and that's when instead of the Gigabyte startup screen showing up, I get a message that says "checking floppy drive for BIOS....recovering BIOS from hard drive....and the computer repeatedly reset itself with this message, so I hard-reset it again and the same thing shows up. The last time this happened, I took out the battery to reset the CMOS to default so I did that again this time.

Here's the problem: Now when I bootup, nothing shows up on screen. My monitor says no signal even though the computer sounds like it's starting up normally, I hear no beeps.

I tried taking out the video card and using my old x1800, I don't think the mobo is broken because everything still turns on (all the fans and lights) and the mouse still turns on (shows the red light underneath).

I haven't changed anything since, but can someone help? This has never happened before. Nothing at all displays when I turn the computer on.

#2 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

There are 2 things that drive your clock speed:

Clock multiplier
Front Side Bus

Your proc can usually only handle subtle (if any) multiplier increases. If it does, it gets pretty unstable anyways. Real overclockers increase their FSB.

The front side bus (FSB) also drives your memory speed. So, when you jack your FSB, you are inherently overclocking both your CPU and RAM (which includes your Hypertransport link). So, to sum up, you should leave your multiplier at your stock setting. Jack up your FSB, and if needed, reduce your RAM speed so that it can keep up with your CPU speed. Also, turn down that Hypertransport from 5x to 4x (or 3x for baddass overclocks) so that your memory can keep up.

Oh, to boot up properly again:

Remove your power cord from your power supply
Remove the battery from your bios
Reset your BIOS (manually, usually a jumper on your mobo)
Wait a minute or two
Hook all that sh*t back up and start from scratch.
Don't get greedy with the memory overclocks or multiplier overclocks.

#3 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

* Side note.

Check your mobo manual, because they usually have an overclocker's backout plan. These will have a set of steps to follow if you f*ck up your overclock too much. Hit me up on vent and I'll help as much as I can Chris.

#4 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

It was probally the hypertransport that made it unstable. As far as it not booting do everything monster says + check everything make sure the ram is seated the cpu is firmly clicked or screwed in all your power connections make sure no bare fan wires are shorting go over the whole system.Should only take a couple extra mins and good luck.

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

No, I have reset the BIOS. I removed the battery and set it aside for a minute and put it back in. That's all I have to do to reset the BIOS according to the manual.

Also, something that's peculiar. When the PC started normally, the keyboard lights (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock, etc...) would light up quickly before the boot screen displayed. Now they don't, however, if I press num lock the light comes on but if I repeatedly turn it on and off (about 3 times) it stops working, and scroll + caps lock don't work at all. Also, the mouse light (optical mouse) is on even when the computer isn't, which has never happened before.

:(

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

you're doing it wrong imo.

you don't just remove the battery, note the jumpers right next to it, you've gotta flick that pin over (with everything off), do a quick power cycle, and unplug it all again, then put the battery back iirc, readup on it to be sure, I can't remember the exact process because it varies board to board.

#7 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

According to my manual, I either have to remove the battery and set it aside for a minute or short the 2 pins labeled BIOS.

I shorted the pins by touching the metal part of my screwdriver to them and the battery is out and sitting on my desk, I'll give it some time and try again.

#8 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

you're doing it wrong imo.

you don't just remove the battery, note the jumpers right next to it, you've gotta flick that pin over (with everything off), do a quick power cycle, and unplug it all again, then put the battery back iirc, readup on it to be sure, I can't remember the exact process because it varies board to board.

I agree, the best way to totally reset your bios is to:

1. Unplug the power from your PS
2. Take the battery out
3. Short the BIOS (use a jumper, not a screwdriver lol)
4. Wait a few minutes
5. Plug in battery, put jumper back, plug in, and have fun resetting all of your bios settings again.

FYI, I did this to mine today after the exact same symptoms. I have an ABIT mobo, and it took all of these things to get the bios back. I had that b*tch screaming until it ground to a halt and called me a pussy.

#9 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

I did all of that, took the battery out, shorted it by plugging a jumper into the pins. I waited 30 minutes to put the battery back in ffs.

I plug the keyboard, monitor, psu back in, turn it on. Everything sounds like it's starting up normally but nothing is being output to the monitor.

#10 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:56 PM

then unplug ur comp, take out the battery, goto sleep, plug it back in about 12 hours from now.

if that fails, goodjob on breaking you're system.

#11 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

LoL @ failed overclocking

Makes me feel all fuzzy inside when I see people f*ck up their computers without even reading up thoroughly on how to overclock safely and effectively. I predict a motherboard RMA is in order to the manufacturer.

#12 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Yeah it's still not working, I've ruled out that it's the graphics card or the hard drive...it shouldn't be the CPU, PSU, or RAM...nothing appears to be shorting it out...I haven't changed anything physically, it's just weird...this has happened before, but last time when I removed the battery and put it back in a short while later everything worked fine...

#13 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

You probably fucked you're bios if clearing the CMOS didn't work.

#14 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

I recently lost my video card + mobo pci express controller randomly, with a similar problem where it fully boots up but nothing on screen. I was doing some homework (this was before school was still over, like 3 weeks ago), went to the bathroom, come back and its black screened. Checked everything (including another video card) and it was still gone and giving an error code on boot up, so i RMA'd the thing, got the new one in a week, and it was still doing that same thing. Then i checked with another video card again, and it worked fine, so now im still waiting for my video card to come, should get it this thursday.

Ok, that didn't have much in common with your problem, except for the symptoms, but i just felt like sharing.

But yeah looks like you need to RMA the board, and just hope you didn't overvoltage your CPU and burn it out...

#15 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

No, I only increased the CPU voltage to the very next level, 1.550v I believe.

Well I put in a ticket at gigabyte and we shall see...though if they refuse I'll just buy another mobo.

#16 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

1.550?! the default for that cpu is like 1.3, even getting 3.2 GHz only requires 1.4v, you broke you're cpu imo lol

#17 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

No, I only increased the CPU voltage to the very next level, 1.550v I believe.

Well I put in a ticket at gigabyte and we shall see...though if they refuse I'll just buy another mobo.

1.550 VOLTS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! That is WAAYYYY over what it should be. The standard voltage is 1.3v, even if it did run at that voltage, it wouldnt last long. Now that you say the voltage I believe you definitely fried your processor.

#18 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

lol that's what the next highest level was in the bios...

But ok, even if the processor is fried, wouldn't at least a message be displayed on screen?

#19 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

BTW this is what the CPU looks like:

Attached File  cpu.JPG   61.13KB   38 downloads

So if the CPU were broken could I get another one and the mobo/hsf would still work? The slot looks fine and so does the cooler.

#20 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

That's some horribly spread thermal paste, holy fuck -_-

Edit: They MIGHT take an RMA for the CPU, but I dunno, they could possibly notice the high voltage and realize you pretty much raped it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users