9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:03 AM

Well I've saved up some jewgolds and am about to buy one of these bitches. The processor served me excellently up until my incident (which was sort of my fault, for not reading up on how to overclock properly, but still the voltage choices jumped right from Normal to 1.5v goddamn what the fuck)

Yeah, I'm sure vent/the servers have been really peaceful in my absence, it won't last much longer.

Also, Scroll was nagging me about the case speaker which was funny, because while RTFMing I found out that my mobo has a place to plug one in, but the case doesn't have one built in, and my local Best Buy had none. BTW Best Buy employees are fucking retarded, I walked up to the clerk IN THE COMPUTER PARTS AREA and asked if they sold case speakers, he told me no and that case speakers were "extremely specialized parts". So I'ma pick one up at RadioShack or somewhere and use it for future reference. Gigabyte has also informed me that they will accept my RMA if the mobo is fubared as well (which I doubt).

So yeah get ready to get fucked by the end of this week or so.

Plus if I DO end up having to send my mobo in that means 2-3 moar weeks of not having my system, so in that case I'd just slap my ol' FX5500 in my HP which I'm using right now (albeit without the 5500) which also has a 2.6GHz P4 and 1GB of RAM...which, funny story about this computer, when I got my first build back around New Years 2007 I just shut off this PC and didn't do anything with the hard drive, etc...so everything on here is late 2006-era shit, some of the interesting things I found on my desktop when I booted up were:

-The announcement trailer for Silent Hunter 4
-A parody flash for the Red Moon Rising Patch for EVE, I understood it for fuckall when Shadow showed me back then but now that I play the game it is quite funny
-The Counter-Strike: Source beta for the (lol) dynamic weapon pricing
-About 1GB of Counter-Strike: Source screenshots
-This picture

It's great fun going through all your old shit.

So I figure maybe 20fps on TF2 if I have to resort to that.

#2 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:25 AM

Don't buy it from radioshack you fool! Go to a mom + pop computer parts store, they can sell you one for like 50 cents or mabe a dollar tops. Hell, borrow it from a older PC, they are in pretty much EVERY computer case you buy nowadays, well not recently since they have been integrating the speaker onto the motherboard.

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

HOLY SHIT!

I was on the Newegg page looking at the proc I linked above and noticed the combo deal. According to that deal, I can get this case with it for free IMO that's a very good deal for a pretty nice processor and a nicer case than I have for ~$100 total.

Anybody with Thermaltake cases have any comments? Are they good or shit?

#4 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

Got a thermaltake case.

I like it and dislike it for a few reasons

- Snap in/out drive bays
- Not made of chinsey crappy aluminum

Dislikes:
- Stock fans kinda blow
- Depending on the finish, can scratch easily
- The additional USB ports break easily

IMO the cons outweigh the pros, I like my case overall, and would probably buy a new one of the price were right.

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

Interesting...I don't know if I would use it for my current PC but I'm going to get the case anyway for future builds. The only thing I'm concerned about is the cooling because of there only being one fan and it apparently not being decent.

Thanks snipr.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

I don't like thermaltake, all their cases revolve around plastic, plastic, and more plastic.

#7 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

Oh and i own your vent channel now Chris :evil: :evil:

#8 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

why dont you just suck it up and buy 6400+ Black (maybe this one will be quick enough so you dont try and OC it)
also normally internal error speakers if not built into the motherboard come with it.. and look like this:
Posted Image

Edited by matthew0155, 25 June 2008 - 11:16 PM.

#9 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

Because fuck you, I'm not looking to drop a fortune and the 5000+ is fine, plus I can overclock it now because I know not to increase the voltage and also that changing fsb speed > multiplier speed.

#10 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

82$ is a good price...
but it would be cool to start off with 3.2ghz right off the bat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users