6 replies to this topic

#1 Unleashed

Unleashed

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

I'm looking to build a new pc or perferably get a laptop. I'm thinking somewhere between $1000-1200 including monitor if it's a desktop. I know laptops aren't very good for gaming, but i would like one that can handle the new games great. If it's a desktop, i would like an outstanding one (is it possible for $1200?). Now i'm not that computer smart and dont know which processors, graphics cards, etc to choose. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Edit: right now i have an HP. AMD Athlon 64 X2 duel core processor 4200+ 984 mhz, 2 gigs of ram with 300 Gb hard drive and ATI radeon 1600xpro graphics card. Would it be worth it just to upgrade this computer?

Edited by Unleashed, 08 October 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#2 SoulWind

SoulWind

Combine Elite

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:40 PM

cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to just buy a new video card. that's really the main thing holding a system like that back in games

#3 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:15 AM

cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to just buy a new video card. that's really the main thing holding a system like that back in games

He is going to need a new power supply for that videocard, because I can almost guarantee he is using the power supply that came with it. With my mind powers of telepathy he is using a Bestec 330 watt switching power supply with a meager 13 A on the +12v line ;) . Just did a upgrade to a similar specced HP so that is a total guess and it's probably right ;) I have encountered a few HP's where the power supply area is a non-standard small bay that a full size/longer power supply will not fit into.

But yes, I agree with soulwind, it isn't that bad of a computer, definitely the videocard in your instance is holding you back.

This is assuming I am thinking of the same case I think you have. These will be the parts you will need:

Corsair 550 watt power supply
Sapphire Radeon 4870

Total price: Just under 370$

Yes I know the power supply is a bit 'overkill' but I am thinking future upgrade here. Once he outgrows his processor, blam he already has the power supply and videocard taken care of.

Edited by Scroll_Lock88, 09 October 2008 - 02:18 AM.

#4 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

Another thing I would like to add. Once you get these parts in. I HIGHLY recommend a total system wipe/cleanup. That may also be holding you back performance wise.

#5 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

Another thing I would like to add. Once you get these parts in. I HIGHLY recommend a total system wipe/cleanup. That may also be holding you back performance wise.

wouldn't hurt to apply some arctic silver also.

#6 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:44 AM

wouldn't hurt to apply some arctic silver also.

It wouldnt be bad, but the stock HP coolers that come with the socket AM2 computers are pretty decent. Push quite a bit of air and are pretty hefty. Probably wouldnt need to.

#7 Unleashed

Unleashed

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

He is going to need a new power supply for that videocard, because I can almost guarantee he is using the power supply that came with it. With my mind powers of telepathy he is using a Bestec 330 watt switching power supply with a meager 13 A on the +12v line ;) . Just did a upgrade to a similar specced HP so that is a total guess and it's probably right ;) I have encountered a few HP's where the power supply area is a non-standard small bay that a full size/longer power supply will not fit into.

But yes, I agree with soulwind, it isn't that bad of a computer, definitely the videocard in your instance is holding you back.

This is assuming I am thinking of the same case I think you have. These will be the parts you will need:

Corsair 550 watt power supply
Sapphire Radeon 4870

Total price: Just under 370$

Yes I know the power supply is a bit 'overkill' but I am thinking future upgrade here. Once he outgrows his processor, blam he already has the power supply and videocard taken care of.

Damn you have gotten good with your mind powers of telepathy because you sir are correct. My system doesn't seem to have heat issues so i should be good there. Guess ill have to order that power supply and vid card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users