9 replies to this topic

#1 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I'll start by saying all I did was buy a new case, didn't get any other new parts.

I have a sata drive that windows is installed on that is still working fine but ever since putting my parts in this new case my 2nd storage sata drive doesn't work(it was obviously working fine before). Its not showing up in My Computer but it shows up in Device Manager. Under disk management it shows that its connect but says its "unreadable". I've tried the obvious unplugging/replugging crap and tried uninstalling the drive and letting Windows reinstall it but neither worked.

Any ideas? I can't imagine that I broke it somehow but I suppose its possible.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Did you try making the drive active?

#3 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

it is active

#4 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

it is active

Try connecting in another machine. Just like with every other computer issue, take a look at your situation and find out what you can do to narrow down the variables. The Most Obvious one is yank it out, connect it in another computer see if it reads. If it does, backup the information, reformat it, reconnect it to the 'nonworking' computer and see if it works that way.

#5 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Actually just encountered the same issue as you as it not showing as readable.

The drive clicks on startup and after about 30 seconds it spins up correctly, and functions somewhat correctly. While it still works the computer on bootup needs a POST from the drive saying it's in good working order since it isnt passing it fast enough the computer bypasses and flags it as unreadable.

Best bet is to connect it externally via USB or firewire, back up everything and see if you can download the drive utilities from the drive manufacturer to verify it's dying.

#6 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yea unfortunately I don't have another computer to connect it to to test it out. Might have to get an adapter to try connecting it externally I suppose.

Its not my only backup drive and most of the data on it I already have backed up on external HD's but there is a few things I'd like to get if I could. Not a huge deal but still sucks to lose a HD.

Edited by IWantWhiteCastle, 07 April 2009 - 03:26 PM.

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

Yea unfortunately I don't have another computer to connect it to to test it out. Might have to get an adapter to try connecting it externally I suppose.

Its not my only backup drive and most of the data on it I already have backed up on external HD's but there is a few things I'd like to get if I could. Not a huge deal but still sucks to lose a HD.

If it's still under warranty you havent lost anything. :grin:

#8 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

hm, interesting.

did your new case change the way the hd's are mounted to the case? like vertical / sideways as opposed to how it was before? try to reformat the drive if all else fails, worth trying everything but my guess is that the jumpers or something are acting odd, try and verify that everything functions, also load up a linux live cd and try that method to see if it isn't just a windows thing.

#9 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

hm, interesting.

did your new case change the way the hd's are mounted to the case? like vertical / sideways as opposed to how it was before? try to reformat the drive if all else fails, worth trying everything but my guess is that the jumpers or something are acting odd, try and verify that everything functions, also load up a linux live cd and try that method to see if it isn't just a windows thing.

SATA drives only use jumpers for certain settings, some can damage the drive, best leave those alone.

#10 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

I just decided to reformat it. It works fine now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users