27 replies to this topic

#1 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Released about 3 days ago, Microsoft says Windows7 will be available October 22nd of this year. The unofficial prices of Home and Pro will be $99 and $149 respectfully, & bestbuy.com will have home and prof. upgrades available online for 16 days starting june 26th for $49 and $99.

Either way, I'm just f*ckin happy its coming out this year. :dork:

#2 Snookers

Snookers

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Released about 3 days ago, Microsoft says Windows7 will be available October 22nd of this year.

My birthday! :grin:

#3 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Sweet! I've got Windows 7 Ultimate on my spare laptop, hoo-ray for less resources being consumed lol. :tup:
Definitely will have to look at that in the future though, for my other computers anyways haha.
However, there's no doubt in my mind that there will be patches and service packs, so I might as well
wait until a few of those are released. :>.<:

#4 WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

Recreational Chemist

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Can't wait.

#5 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

However, there's no doubt in my mind that there will be patches and service packs, so I might as well
wait until a few of those are released. :>.<:

My thoughts exactly.

#6 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

They should make an upgrade from Vista like $20 to piss off the Macfags.

Also, wonderful OS, I will probably be getting a legit key for this, it's definitely worth it.

#7 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

lol @ paying for windows.

#8 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

But you've done it before!

#9 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

yeah for like $50 from a friend I did, but that was years ago before constantly updated packs were released on piratebay / usenet every month, I couldn't see it being very useful now tbh.

#10 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

So I get Windows 7 for free, think I should upgrade from XP? lol I've heard such great things but I wonder if it'll play all my old games (like even windows 95/98 games I still play periodically :P). Anyone know?

#11 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

So I get Windows 7 for free, think I should upgrade from XP? lol I've heard such great things but I wonder if it'll play all my old games (like even windows 95/98 games I still play periodically :P). Anyone know?

Please tell me you're talking about Total Annihilation.

#12 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

It has a XP virtualization program. So yes, if it could run on XP, it can run on 7.

#13 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:44 AM

It has a XP virtualization program. So yes, if it could run on XP, it can run on 7.

Let me stop you right there. Remember that the XP mode that is so talked about many as a defining feature of windows 7 needs to know that currently it does not support 3D game that require DirectX, opengl, etc. It was designed for companies in mind that have programs that run very well on XP but not so much on Vista/Windows 7 machines. Microsoft may or may not add 3d support in the future, but as of right now it's a no-go.

As far as running older games on windows 7, you will have a greater chance of the program running on the 32 bit version than the 64 bit version. Obviously you will run into the memory limitations of 32 bit which I highly recommend you go the 64 bit route just for that fact.

If you are still playing those old games, chances are you have an old PC lying around to play them on, connect your monitor, keyboard, and mouse into a KVM switch and blammo, old game support. Or hell, even a older laptop will work just fine. Old game support right there.

Don't let old programs hold you back, windows 7 is an upgrade I highly recommend you do. Upgraded all my machines to win 7, and have done several businesses and clients, not a issue so far.

#14 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

while I do have older PCs it's a pain in my lazy ass to move sh*t around just to play an old game lol. And while I don't play them frequently I do play them every so often and like having them available whenever random urges come up to play em :P but these are like Majesty, Diablo, Warcraft Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2 (ya old school lol) and a huge list more. I'll prolly still upgrade, but I still need to back up sh*t on my computer before I do that.

#15 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:24 AM

while I do have older PCs it's a pain in my lazy ass to move sh*t around just to play an old game lol. And while I don't play them frequently I do play them every so often and like having them available whenever random urges come up to play em :P but these are like Majesty, Diablo, Warcraft Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2 (ya old school lol) and a huge list more. I'll prolly still upgrade, but I still need to back up sh*t on my computer before I do that.

Well thats what a KVM is for, everything is all hooked up and when you want to switch computers, tap scroll lock key twice, and press 2, voila, other computer is up on your screen, and the keyboard/mouse is swapped as well.

#16 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

Ya I don't have money to buy sh*t lol. If I ever get money together I'll get me one. I do have a good hmm.. 5 other computers (granted not all mine). Let's see, two linux boxes, my old computer (well the old parts put together in another case with different HDs), father's my own and then tons of parts to make more lol.

I'm sure eventually windows 7 will have support for older crap if enough demand for it. As long as I can play the games of interest late than cool.

#17 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

i've had 7 for about 2 weeks now, a friend hooked me up with a legit key, i've been able to play older games with no problem so far, like diablo II and warcraft III.
and for the record, aside from getting used to the new layout of pretty much everything...I like this OS alot.

#18 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'm sure eventually windows 7 will have support for older crap if enough demand for it. As long as I can play the games of interest late than cool.

Why would Microsoft devote time and resources to a rather small majority of people running programs that were programmed on their operating systems almost 10 years ago? Thats the big question.

i've been able to play older games with no problem so far, like diablo II and warcraft III.
and for the record

Obviously they will run, both were created on a NT based operating system which is pretty much what XP, Vista, and Win7 run today, so obviously they will run :P Anything of the ME/98/95/DOS is considered old. Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 are far far far from old.

#19 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

cause backwards compatibility is awesome! And there's far more than just me that enjoy older games lol.

Seriously, not gonna be denied one of the best RPGs of all time, Planescape Torment, if I can lol.

Edited by Vicious, 22 October 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#20 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

I obtained a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and i installed it over Windows Vista home on my laptop XPS M1530. Let me just say first that it looks almost identicle to vista, however, every f*ckin thing works faster. I can finally click on something and it doesnt lag out and die from all the resources being gone. Its wayyyy more responsive to what im doing and things like when you scroll down a web page to start up are a lot faster. My favorite part is the shutdown.. when I tell this damn thing to shutdown it doesnt joke around, 5 f*ckin seconds and BAM its off. Vista took a damn minute to shut down. So far Im liking 7 a lot. There are some differences you gota get used to but overall I think microsoft did way better on this OS.

"obtained" :evil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users