3 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

Ok.. so im looking to build a new pc when I get back, i already know what im gonna get mobo, ram, cpu and all that stuff. Biggest thing obvoiusly is the graphics cards. I love my 8800's I got on my previous build but jesus they produce a TON of heat. What would be the best Nvidia or Ati cards as far as heat and then performance. My 8800's were the hottest cards I had ever run and when I got an SLi setup I had to reconfigure my case's internals to cool them sufficently. I like haveing the two cards as I believe two heads are better than one however do most games today really utilize the sli or crossfire modes effeciently or would just one uber card be better? So what would you guys buy as of now? Mind you technology will change in 6 months so hell some kind of uber new awesome card could come out and who knows... :P

Bumble

Oh.. one other thing... are ati's drivers any better?

Edited by Bumblebee, 13 June 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Drivers are the same... They do their job.

Current cards go like this: ATI HD4870/Nvidia GTX260 < HD4890/GTX275 < GTX 285 < HD4870 X2/GTX295

But the GTX300 series are coming out at the end of the year... Might be worth to wait for those and the prices on the current cards will go down even more.

Edited by Novahawk, 13 June 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#3 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

It all depends on you're resolution that your monitor runs at...

at lower resolutions 285 beats the 4890..at higher resolutions 1600+ they are about equal. With SLI/Crossfire at lower resolutions SLI 285's win, Crossfired 4890s and 1 GTX 295 is slightly behind but
At 1600+ sli 285s = Crossfired 4890s and 1 295 is behind.

2 cards are really only worth it when you play at higher resolutions or for overclockers.

As for heat, they all run hot that is what Video Cards are all about :)

For the end of the year GTX 300 and the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series will also be coming out. I believe the 5000 series before the 300's and they will have the new DirectX.

Honestly IMHO asking about it now is pointless because video cards change like Jack changes black bitches(all the time, he loves him some blackies)

#4 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

Honestly IMHO asking about it now is pointless because video cards change like Jack changes black b*tches(all the time, he loves him some blackies)

awww wonder, you know you're the only black b*tch for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users