25 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

Whilst looking at cpu replacements for when I get home im wondering... E8600 or an I7. I dont know the cons and pros to each but for gaming which one is better? I know the wolfdale cpus can overclock like a b*tch.. but on the other hand the I7's are new. I might just say screw it and keep my E6700 and overclock the hell out of it until the next gen of cpu's. I know I can get about 3.6 ghz out of an e6700 and it remain stable. (Gota get a new case due to cooling) Oh.. and what case would you get for a new build, I was looking at the Coolermaster HAF 932. A friend of mine also said to look into Lian Li cases.. never heard of them. Im probably just gonna keep the 6700 and mobo, then just get a better gpu/psu/case. That should last me quite a while longer.

bumblebee

#2 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

you should definately post links to these products. Lian Li cases are pretty, but overpriced.

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Well, as it stands the I7's are still a bit too expensive if you compare raw performance versus cost, now I'm not saying they're bad, but with triple channel memory and an x58 board its almost 100-200 more for 5-10 more FPS over an amd build Like I've got.

Lian Li make some of the best cases, but they are very light and don't have anything in them to dampen sound, the HAF is a pretty nice case, on par with the p182/3 and so on.

4870/4890 are cheap as fuck right now, def. a good buy.

#4 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Well, as it stands the I7's are still a bit too expensive if you compare raw performance versus cost, now I'm not saying they're bad, but with triple channel memory and an x58 board its almost 100-200 more for 5-10 more FPS over an amd build Like I've got.

Lian Li make some of the best cases, but they are very light and don't have anything in them to dampen sound, the HAF is a pretty nice case, on par with the p182/3 and so on.

4870/4890 are cheap as f*ck right now, def. a good buy.

Worked for me, or my roomie rather.

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

See thats what I like about the Lian Li's is that they are lighter. The old thermlatake Xaser V ive had for years now is reallllly heavy. With the hardware in it weighs around 60 pounds. From what I read the HAF is pretty heavy too due to being made of steel. Also on the motherboard side of the cpu, could you even compare the 790i boards to the X58s? I know that the 58's can take crossfire and sli.. something the 790is cant do. But then they are about $100 more, and like you said for what.. 5-10 fps? I think the I7's are nice but they prices are still high and really not worth the extra 5-10 fps. And really most of the fps is based on the gpus as it is. The good thing is when I do buy some new hardware It will be in december of this year so Im pretty sure prices will go down a lot from now till then. If they do release the I5's the I7's might come down to a reasonable price when compared to a Core 2 Quad.

Haf VS Lian Li (HAF looks to have way more airflow but heavier)

E8600 VS Q9650 VS I7

EVGA 790i FTW VS X58

#6 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

First off, don't just look at the Haf and Lian Li, but also the Coolermaster ATCS 840. The Haf is great but my major problem is no filter on the big side panel fan.

As for as the processor, I'd personally shoot for a quad. Phenom2 or i7 all depending what your budget is. If you have enough to spring for an i7 and a GOOD mobo then get it. If you only have money for a i7 and an ok mobo, you're better off getting a PHenom2 BE with a smoking motherboard.

If you must waste your money don't bother with a 790 board they really give lots of issues, look at the EVGA 750i FTW, cheaper and better stability.

If you absolutely must go intel, wait a bit and i5's will come out which is a better priced intel chip...but really a Phenom2 would be a better choice.

#7 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

Man I actually like the Coolermaster ATCS 840... Hell it might have better airflow due to the bottom slot for a fan on the bottom to the gpu(s) and no side fan to interupt airflow from front bottom to rear top, then especially the two top 120 fans. You could easily mount a rad if you wanted too up there, then reverse the rear fan so its pushing in then up... hmm.. Best part is the filters. My old thermaltake Xaser V has filters for every fan and they work absolutley great. Oh one other thing.. cpu coolers. H20 or air... I got a zalman 9500 on my current pc and it worked great, but it was heavy on the motherboard, kind of concerned me with the extra weight on that section of the motherboard and liquid does work better for keeping the temps from going too high.

#8 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

Actually the ATCS 840 comes with special rails for the top so you can mount a radiator. As for the Haf if you do get it buy a black nylon stocking and stretch it over the side panel fan, you'll be glad you do...saves you from cleaning.

As for cpu coolers, well if you get a back plate with a big air cooler like a TRUE, V8 or whatever there really isn't much to worry about. Shoot I had a V10(look it up) for quite some time and had no adverse affects.

Water...well that's a whole 'nother ball game...understand, to cool an i7 look to spend at least 250+ on water cooling to keep it cool. I mean my i7 sits on a 120x3 rad by itself and that's to keep it within 5-10 of my ambient temps. Keep in mind though if you've never water cooled before, you can try and get a premade kit(not so great), or build one yourself(more money). Definitely read up about it before you make that jump.

Phenom2 is made for water cooling though...it thrives with cool/cold.

#9 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

Phenom II x4 955 is king right now for price/performance. look here, in some tests the Q9650 is like 3% faster, but at a 100 USD more, shits stupid.

that $100+ can go towards a better graphics card / higher quality memory, which is what games these days are slowed down by most.

#10 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

Considering how I almost snatched my coolermaster stacker off my desk the other day when i got tangled up with my headset cord, I'm glad the b*tch is heavy. New Plantronics 377 will be in tomorrow, yay.

#11 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

Man the Phenoms are looking way way better to me now... I mean f*ck $500-1000 for intels top of the line... vs I pay $300 for the best AMD which performs almost identicle. I love my dual core but in times like this value is very obvious between the two. Oh and here is the case I got now.

Xaser V

I removed the wierd waste of metal behind the front 80mm fan so there is good air flow but the fan in it just doesnt push enough CFM. SOoooo clicky below... what about 3 of them! BWAHAHAAH! (Cables went bye bye too....)

Case fan uberness 80MM

And damn it shadow you got me thinking about AMD again.... :muaha:

#12 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

I'd hang myself if I had a case with that color. Gawdy plastic = fail

BTW, who the f*ck would use high rpm 80 mm fans in a desktop machine? sh*t is loud and a good case with 120 mm fans will do the same cooling amount.

#13 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Quick! Someone buy Scroll Lock that case!

#14 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Personally i like the steel cases. They are heavy but they reduce external heat and are generally made better in my exp.

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Man that Xaser V is a f*cking beast of a case... uber heavy. But its built very very well. I cant put 120's on it becuase of how its built. I dont give a sh*t about noise becuase Im too busy rapeing everyone on CS and cusing like a retard.. Those fans I mentioned above push aloooot of air for 80mm's, I was thinking about the actual airflow and 2 to 3 of them configured right at abut 60% power would work way way way better than the fans I got now. The good thing about steel is they suppress sound better becuase there is simply denser material in the case overall. Plus I love the filters on it.. keeps it very clean inside. Hehh Id love to see how loud I could get that sucker... just for the hell of it.

Oh and scroll... $20 < $150... thats why im looking at 80mm fans that can do the job even if they are louder... could be money towards better gpus.

Edited by Bumblebee, 17 July 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#16 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Quick! Someone buy Scroll Lock that case!

I got 5$ on it.

#17 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

its 210 for the *top of the line* AMD, not 300, but if you're including a decent motherboard, then yeah I guess.

me and jacks roommate have the 955, and its a fucking beast for multitasking, not to mention the 955's AM3 socket is backwards compatible so you could buy a AM2+ mobo and ddr2 to save even more money if you wanted, but tbh ddr3+ am3 boards have more future upgrade ability

#18 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

ya definitely want to get an AM3 board if you can. Its like buying a Ferrari and parking it at your trailer home. It works but you sure are an ass for doing it.

#19 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

Thats what sucks about the new I7 mobos... new socket, no backwards nothing. It forces you to have to buy an I7 for use on the X58's and then there are only 4 cpus to choose from... expensive, very expensive, to uber waste of cash. Im definatly gonna start searching for AMD stuff, after looking on the internewbs most of their prices are way way lower. Cant wait until december though, that will be the best time to buy new hardware.

You know you want that case scroll...... :evil:

#20 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

if I could go back and redo my build....I would/ should have waiting for the newer amd phenoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users