#1 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Clicky

Words don't often fail me, but this time they do.

Good read.

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

Semi-accurate pretty much sums it up.

I pretty much stopped reading at the part where he said 8800GT/9800GT was renamed to GTS250...

The GTS 250 is a rebrand of the 9800GTX+

The guy is pretty much pulling "facts" out of his ass.

The entry level GT300s will be GT200 chips with a lower clock nothing mindblowing there. The guy makes such a big deal out of it. The lower end GT200 chips are just older chips with new names, its nothing new.

#3 mr.lively

mr.lively

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

are they selling the re-branded old chips for inordinate sums of money? i think thats the issue; along with the fact that they have to rename the hardware to get it off the shelves...

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

Semi-accurate pretty much sums it up.

I pretty much stopped reading at the part where he said 8800GT/9800GT was renamed to GTS250...

The GTS 250 is a rebrand of the 9800GTX+

The guy is pretty much pulling "facts" out of his ass.

The entry level GT300s will be GT200 chips with a lower clock nothing mindblowing there. The guy makes such a big deal out of it. The lower end GT200 chips are just older chips with new names, its nothing new.

nvidia did rename 8800GT to 9800GT, then 250GTS, learn the facts before you say somebody is wrong.

and there is a lot wrong with older chips with new names, its a scam, they won't have DX11 and its higher priced then last gen, all it does is dupe the consumer into buying their products, if you cannot see how that's bad, there is no help for you man.

#5 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

Yeah I know the 8800GT is the 9800GT, but the article states "the G92, also known as the 8800GT/9800GT, was renamed the GT250." Meaning the 8800GT was renamed to the 9800GT and later renamed to GTS250, which is wrong.

Sure its not a nice thing to do at all, but it makes perfect sense business-wise. People are stupid. People buy things with bigger numbers. I've seen people say they "upgraded" from an 8800GT to a 9600GT, because its a bigger number.

It takes a whole 2 minutes to research and make an informed decision. If people can't do that, they should stick to buying dell's.

The guy making it seem like the whole GT300 series is just a rename of GT200 with lower clock speeds, which is also false.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

it isn't *false*, if you actually understand how to read Charlie's articles you would figure out that what he says is usually always right, even if it does seem to be with a hint of revenge, but who could blame him after what nvidia did to him years ago, it was pathetic.

I get what your saying, the company is just trying to not lose stock but at the expense of their userbase so they will seem OK for the upcoming Q4 09', if nvidia doesn't release something new, everyone will go ATI... if nvidia releases a refresh, people will still buy the ATI.

True DX11 Card with new architecture are superior to some refreshed series lowend card that's simply there to confuse others and slow down the industries progress.

#7 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I know the 8800GT is the 9800GT, but the article states "the G92, also known as the 8800GT/9800GT, was renamed the GT250." Meaning the 8800GT was renamed to the 9800GT and later renamed to GTS250, which is wrong

Yea but what he is getting at is they are all based of the same architecture....yes they aren't exactly equivalent but they are in the same product family and should be labeled so.

Sure its not a nice thing to do at all, but it makes perfect sense business-wise. People are stupid. People buy things with bigger numbers. I've seen people say they "upgraded" from an 8800GT to a 9600GT, because its a bigger number.

Uhhhhhhhhh.....last I checked 250 is less than 8800. :)

The guy making it seem like the whole GT300 series is just a rename of GT200 with lower clock speeds, which is also false.

No but what he is saying is that a majority of the 300 line or the popular portions of it will be. By popular I mean lower end affordable for the average person will be.

The problem I see with this is they are going to sell say a GTX 275 as GTX 375 for the same price as ATI 5870s, when they should stay at the same price as ATI 4890s. I realize this of course doesn't affect the people(me, you shadow and a few here at boss) who keep up with things, but it does affect a majority of gamers who just buy whatever card sounds the newest. Although its a great business strategy it says something about the integrity of the company and the general welfare of its current state as a business.

Also so you know I have owned all types of cards, my recent change was from a 8800gts(g92) to a 4890 so I personally know how to follow news. Also personally I hope nvidia stays in the game and competitive because without this dual market share we would have horrid prices on video cards. The lack of a shared market was really what caused nvidia to get so glutinous and overcharge. They just built bigger and better without bothering looking at pricing and yield quantity. I really hope they get back in line with a good price/performance ratio so it can stabilize the market and put the cards on even ground as they should be.

Also its sad, I recall when ATI released their 4k series nvidia saying, oh we have something but we don't want to release till ATI comes out with their NEXT series. Well the ATI 5k series is upon us and yet the nvidia 300 series is still a little late? WTF? We should have had a release on the same day? In addition you only have the higher end 300 series specced out by now? You've had all this time I should see, 301, 302, 303...399.

#8 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, all I'm saying is that it makes sense business-wise (sort-of). Business exist to make money, not necessarily to make people's lives easier or less confusing. If confusing people gets them more sales, they'll do it. If ATI is less confusing and can finally get ahead then yeah, more power to them and it will make nVidia work harder, which is good for us (consumers).

#9 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Well said wondergod, that pretty much sums up my dislike for nvidia, they're holding the industry back by at least 5 years constantly.

and if their midrange don't have DX11... oh look, another line of *to be played on nvidia* games without DX11 support because these retards can't keep up with trends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users