9 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

It was intresting to me what I found after taking it apart so easily. Its been running hotter lately and it was wierd becuase the exhaust wasnt hot. The whole xbox was hot instead. So I bought a replacement fan for it and some other stuff and when I took the heat sinks off I was suprised at the sh*t can job microsoft had done with the paste. It was sad. It wasnt even paste, it was more like ash from a fire. So I cleaned it all up and put some arctic silver on it and the new fan, man what a difference. First the fan was way better (OEM from talismoon), it was just stock 5v fan with nothing else. The heat was actually transfering to the heatsink and going out the back of the xbox finaly. Best part... zero glitches when playing games. f*ck YES... Becuase the heatsink works better now it sends a hotter temp to the fan and they spin faster. Im gonna get a small fan and build my own intake on the side of this thing sense my warranty expired like a year ago. And yeh I wouldnt have done this if the warranty wasnt gone. Aside from that its realllly easy to take apart IF you got the right tools. The worst part was the x clamps for the heat sinks. A nightmare to get off without destroying the mobo. Even harder to get back on. Also if you got one of the newer xbox's dont worry so much. Mines an 06 xbox and man im surpised it did so well with that crappy thermal paste. I think the biggest issue is the zero intake fan for this system. I know they gota be careful on costs but come on... its like $3 for a fan. Whats also sad is the size of one of the heat sinks.. its freakin tiny. I had fun takin it apart and if you got an old one you want to work better just replace the thermal paste and rear fan. Worked like a charm!

Bumble

#2 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

Walll

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

360 = just an underspec'd PC.

#4 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

I believe I now have a inoperable tumor at the base of my skull now from reading that horrendous wall of text.

#5 KiMBo

KiMBo

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

It was intresting to me what I found after taking it apart so easily. Its been running hotter lately and it was wierd becuase the exhaust wasnt hot. The whole xbox was hot instead. So I bought a replacement fan for it and some other stuff and when I took the heat sinks off I was suprised at the sh*t can job microsoft had done with the paste. It was sad. It wasnt even paste, it was more like ash from a fire. So I cleaned it all up and put some arctic silver on it and the new fan, man what a difference. First the fan was way better (OEM from talismoon), it was just stock 5v fan with nothing else. The heat was actually transfering to the heatsink and going out the back of the xbox finaly. Best part... zero glitches when playing games. f*ck YES... Becuase the heatsink works better now it sends a hotter temp to the fan and they spin faster. Im gonna get a small fan and build my own intake on the side of this thing sense my warranty expired like a year ago. And yeh I wouldnt have done this if the warranty wasnt gone. Aside from that its realllly easy to take apart IF you got the right tools. The worst part was the x clamps for the heat sinks. A nightmare to get off without destroying the mobo. Even harder to get back on. Also if you got one of the newer xbox's dont worry so much. Mines an 06 xbox and man im surpised it did so well with that crappy thermal paste. I think the biggest issue is the zero intake fan for this system. I know they gota be careful on costs but come on... its like $3 for a fan. Whats also sad is the size of one of the heat sinks.. its freakin tiny. I had fun takin it apart and if you got an old one you want to work better just replace the thermal paste and rear fan. Worked like a charm!

Bumble

All the hard work for nothing. You could have just bought an intercooler.

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

All the hard work for nothing. You could have just bought an intercooler.

That thing is a joke man... two sets of fans not running at the same rpm f*cks with um. The thermal paste was the biggest fix I made. It definatly made the heatsinks more effective. No lockups at all so sense ive did my handy work.

oh and your avatar is giving me a f*cking sezuire scroll....... :wtf:

Edited by Bumblebee, 03 October 2009 - 01:16 AM.

#7 Ahkmed

Ahkmed

DICK RAMM

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

This is somewhat old but I took mine apart also, and I just let the case and the big f*cking metal box of a fortress that everything is in open and pretty much "fixes it" also.

#8 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

Something I noticed is that when I added the intake fan on the side the overall noise of the system became about 20% less than with just the stock fans runing. Ill try to post a pic of it later... :dork:

#9 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

Seeing as how they are a dime a dozen for RROD 360's on craigslist. I could care less how hot the current one I have gets. This one RROD's, try the clamp trick, and the various other ones that remelts the solder into the correct places, if those dont work. Grab another off craigslist for 20 bucks and blam, working one again.

As I type this my current 360, a first generation, batch 1(meaning the first ones that hit store shelves) is happily humming along with no problems. Not sure how dirty it is, or hot it is, because meh.

#10 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:37 AM

Mines one of the 06 versions and its never died or anything. Ive use the sh*t out of it. The cooling definatly helped. I just want that $300 i spent to last a loooooong time :weee: I think the rrod happens mainly to the people that do nothing in their lives but play halo 3, gears of war, and oblivion.... I play for like an hour or so and then I gtfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users