8 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

id Considering No Dedicated servers for Rage.

I'll start this off, Rage isn't a big name title, or at least not yet, so we can just leave that fact out.

But this honestly scares me...

If IWNet works *well enough*, then we may all be witnessing the true fall of PC gaming. PC gaming might be conformed to a multipurpose console with a mouse and keyboard for good. Think about it, no more gaming communities, or at least largely no more, no more custom gameplay, no wild and wackey servers, no custom maps, no gameplay tweeks...

I'm saying this now, but if in the following years the shit really does hit the fan, then I'm just dropping gaming for good as PC was my last refuge...

...Maybe I'll take up flying lessons...

#2 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

eh, Valve will save us, dont worry...the day when valve does this sh*t thats when im done with pc gaming..

#3 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:31 PM

Meh...in honesty i think you pirating f*cks are slightly to blame. I mean, the console tards are gonna buy the f*ck outa this game thinkin that they struck gold, while the PC fans are going to understandably only buy a few, but still pirate a sh*tton. So what does Activision, Infinity Ward, and everyone else take away from this? You make money by making games for consoles...and loose money for giving a sh*t about PC.

And takin refugee with valve is f*cked imho. If theres one thing Valve likes more than their mods, its money; hell, Steam is the Walmart of gaming...and if this new f*ckin 'trend' thats apparently devloping in the game developers world takes hold, I wouldnt be the slightest bit surprised if valve is one of the first to help itself to the easy green.

...and the worst part is that it all makes sense. Pirated games starts increasing, so they(game devs) make a MMO which is impossible (as far as i know) to effectively pirate and it makes a sh*tton of money, so now everyone thinks gamers actually want to play MMO's so they've spent time, money and recources on making a dozen more. Then the consoles are becoming so f*ckin important due to incompetant f*cktards buying up Guitar Hero and Rock Band so there making more games based on that sh*t (DJ Hero?...are you f*ckin kidding me?).

/vodka

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

Meh...in honesty i think you pirating f*cks are slightly to blame. I mean, the console tards are gonna buy the f*ck outa this game thinkin that they struck gold, while the PC fans are going to understandably only buy a few, but still pirate a sh*tton. So what does Activision, Infinity Ward, and everyone else take away from this? You make money by making games for consoles...and loose money for giving a sh*t about PC.

And takin refugee with valve is f*cked imho. If theres one thing Valve likes more than their mods, its money; hell, Steam is the Walmart of gaming...and if this new f*ckin 'trend' thats apparently devloping in the game developers world takes hold, I wouldnt be the slightest bit surprised if valve is one of the first to help itself to the easy green.

...and the worst part is that it all makes sense. Pirated games starts increasing, so they(game devs) make a MMO which is impossible (as far as i know) to effectively pirate and it makes a sh*tton of money, so now everyone thinks gamers actually want to play MMO's so they've spent time, money and recources on making a dozen more. Then the consoles are becoming so f*ckin important due to incompetant f*cktards buying up Guitar Hero and Rock Band so there making more games based on that sh*t (DJ Hero?...are you f*ckin kidding me?).

/vodka

Yes, I'll agree pirating probably doesn't help, but in the same instance pirating on the console is so much easier, it's just most people on consoles don't care/know enough to do so. Also, you can in a way pirate an MMO by making a private server.

Though the problem is that no developer cares enough anymore, they take a great game idea and immediately jump to "Ok, what can we chuck into this to make people that don't like this stuff initially buy it!" While don't get me wrong, it's smart from a business stand point, but it murks up what potential an idea has. Hell, look at Left4Dead, a game in development for YEARS that in origins was more like a typical zombie survival horror, something along the lines of Brain Bread or Zombie Panic. But over the years of development it was made faster paced, there were special zombies, zombies ran, etc... Why? Because the normal zombie fan audience is too small, you need to bring in the FPS junkies too, the action game fans, the stealth gameplay fans, etc. Taking a game that, to its original audience, was gold, to a shell of its former self to satisfy a sale quota. Was L4D good? To most, yes. To those of us that actually followed its progression over the years of its development it was a major disappointment.

And because of this constant crap of great game ideas getting fucked over with clutter gameplay mechanics and play styles to satisfy a larger audience I gave up on buying most games because it rarely worked out where it was worth the money and was what I was actually promised.

Will I buy games? Yes, I recently bought Forza 3. Why? Because it has a small target audience of mostly simulation driving fans that the developer knows what to do with. They didn't try to make the game more action packed to get in more of the arcade racers in. They simply improved the game engine, added a SHIT LOAD of content and gave players more ways to be creative with their cars paint job (Vinyl decals, custom vinyls, etc.).

#5 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Here's my take on it... when a game developer releases a sequel to a game that has millions of fans (CoD4 etc), and those fans realize the new game isn't upto par with the previous ones in the series, these fucktard devs blame Piracy.

Piracy actually helps game developers out a LOT by providing massive PR for a game when its actually good, a demo of a game only shows you what they want you to see in the hopes of making you want to buy it to continue playing, but I look at it in a replay perspective, I'm not going to buy a game if I'm only going to play through it once, it's a waste of money and with the price of games constantly increasing due to stupidly overpriced development cost (lol @ games costing 30+ Million to make).

Here's some example's of how piracy has helped me make logical game purchases, I downloaded Men of War, installed it and started playing the SP campaigns, mission after mission it got harder, and I saw it actually had a pretty nice multiplayer setup as well so I bought it on steam, sure I rarely play it now because I've got some other games I'm playing, but if it wasn't for my usenet whoring ass grabbing every single scene release that ever hits, I'd of never played nor heard of it.

Empire Total war is another pretty solid example, Razor released of it, so I downloaded it on day-one and tried it out, it was somewhat buggy but I'm kinda used to it with the Empire series in general having some faults with the initial releases. Anyways razor kept releasing dox to fix it but I found it to be a bit tiresome to have to keep grabbing these 400mb packs of updates, on steam they had a 50% off deal so I bought it, and I'm sure even 3+ years down the road I'll still want to play it just to beat down some Christians with the might of logic.

Piracy helps me avoid the hype of marketing all together, I don't just sit around and browse sites about upcoming games, I download and play those fucking games and if I think they are worth the money I buy them, but one thing that you must take into account is also the fact that piracy builds fan bases in one way or another.

put it this way, if it's worth the money you will buy it, piracy just helps you make informed decisions, it's your money and if you want to be careless and buy games and be let down, so be it, but blaming something logical before giving these corporate whores your money is just silly.

oh and it's not a lost sale because those who don't have the money would never buy it anyway so you simply cannot count piracy as a lost sale either.

#6 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Honestly, I hate how PC gaming has become an industry. I miss the good old days of when it was just programmers making games for their own lulz and sharing them with everyone. Now developers don't really care about the game, they just want to sell as much as possible (which makes sense since its an industry). Generally, they just make the graphics as good as they can and forget everything else (like gameplay).

MW2 is a test to see just how far they can push the PC crowd. They decided to run the test with a huge game, since they'll make a sh*t ton of money from the console versions anyway. You're not going to try this type of experiment with a game thats probably not going to sell well anyway, so they try it with their biggest game. MW2 probably would have been the most sold game ever if they kept it like it should have been, so losing the PC base isn't that big of a loss to them and its a perfect opportunity to see how much they can get away with. If the PC version is even mildly successful, then yeah... pretty much all games from then on will be like it (not just from Infinity Ward).

That's what id is saying probably, they are considering it based on how well MW2 goes.

Edited by Novahawk, 06 November 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#7 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

oh and it's not a lost sale because those who don't have the money would never buy it anyway so you simply cannot count piracy as a lost sale either.

Good point, but as you said, the devs will most definatley claim it to be so. And piracy does account for some loss of sales; though its a given, certainly not to the degree in which they claim.

#8 Killian

Killian

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

Well, I would say I was blindsided, but not really, f*cking faggotry console fags want the PC like their 360's.

#9 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

Someone should make a list of all the differences between what L4D was to what it is now lol. Cause I can't even remember how much has changed since its original announcement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users