8 replies to this topic

#1 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

So i got Windows7 installed and its lookin decent. Just workin on installing all of my old programs. The interesting thing is, is that i bought a new harddrive to install W7 onto (not too new...same model as the one i currently have) so i installed it as the new primary. My original plan was to set up a mirror - the older harddrive becoming the backup...first step being to change the old from a primary to a logical so i could easily, internally move any needed data over to the new harddrive. So I tried to set up my old one as a logical and that failed (couldnt figure out exactly why)...so i just went into BIOS and made sure that the new internal with W7 had the boot priority and now I have two harddrives...one nearly blank with W7 64 Pro, and one with WXP 32 Home. Now, this could be f*ckin awesome if i could just leave it like this...and any program that has trouble with W7 i can just re-boot from the WXP drive, and install and use it on there. But i can't help but feel that its dangerous...not only am i now denying a consistent backup of all my sh*t (unless i buy a 3rd harddrive...which im not going to), I can't help but have the feeling that my computer is going to react is some unf*ckinbelievable way thats going to be beyond my knowledge to fix and i'll be nice n' proper f*cked.

Thoughts? Disclaimers? Advice?

#2 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

not an expert, but I've heard of dual booting. Sure someone can help you out (google)

Edited by *CHILIDOG*, 08 November 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#3 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

I was actually wondering exactly that...did i somehow accidentally create a dual bootup possibility...just used two harddrives instead of 2 partitions in a single harddrive...?

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

learn to use paragraphs please.

#5 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Partition your new drive like this, ok.

C: Drive = Application Installation Drive (think C:\Games\Steam) / 400gb
D: Drive = Win7 / 50gb
E: Drive = XP / 50gb

obviously I'm not counting how the bytes level out, but you get the idea, that method is by far the easiest and you really don't need more then 50gb for an OS, Ever, I've got tons of stuff installed (OS drives can be as slim as 10gb provided you don't be a nub and install stuff on them instead of choosing Custom Install and selecting a proper path, which 99% of installers allow you to do.)

hope that sorts you out.

#6 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, I just went 50G for W7 and 590G applications.

#7 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

(OS drives can be as slim as 10gb provided you don't be a nub and install stuff on them instead of choosing Custom Install and selecting a proper path, which 99% of installers allow you to do.)

Yeah, I actually have a question about that. Is there any way to make my D: drive the "default" partition for installations?

#8 OMG Its Weasel

OMG Its Weasel

Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, I actually have a question about that. Is there any way to make my D: drive the "default" partition for installations?

under win7 i have no idea, under winxp you can change some registry settings or use tweakui

#9 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I just do it manually tbh, it isn't a big deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users