10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

Yahoo is incandescent with rage after proof that it was flogging customer's personal details to the US security services was published online.

Yahoo attempted to block an FOIA Freedom of Information release of its "law enforcement and intelligence price list", but someone provided a copy to Cryptome.org. The 17-page guide describes Yahoo�s policies on keeping the data of Yahoo Email and Yahoo Groups users, as well as the surveillance and spying capabilities it can give to the U.S. government and its agencies.

However those who are trying to delete their yahoo accounts are discovering that their personal data will be available to the spooks for another 90 days. The news is a bit of a shocker to government leaders and officials around Africa, Asia and Latin America who use Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail. Although they knew that the information was stored in the US they thought that free democracy would stop that sort of snooping.

Yahoo�s lawyers are now dumb enough to try to issue a "DMCA takedown notice" to Cryptome demanding the document be removed. Yahoo claims that publication of the document is a copyright violation, and gave Cryptome owner John Young a Thursday deadline for removing the document. It is now being hosted all over the world wide wibble so the cat is long out of the bag, moved on, had several litters of kittens and forgotten about bags altogether.

Yahoo wrote that if its pricing information were disclosed it would be used �to �shame� Yahoo! and other companies and to �shock� its customers.� In that regard they were right. According to this list, Yahoo charges the government about $30 to $40 for the contents, including e-mail, of a subscriber�s account. It charges $40 to $80 for the contents of a Yahoo group. This is peanuts when you consider how much the spooks would have to pay to wiretap such a person.

I can't say I personally find any of this surprising, which is why I've always relied on hosting my own mailservers, but judging from all the cloak and dagger bullshit yahoo is trying to get such documents removed from the web (which will never happen), I'd say its time to change your email if you do use it.

#2 KiMBo

KiMBo

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

if i would read that i probably would change my email but i skimmed through it and i dont understand.

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

tl;dr version, Yahoo Sell your emails to the government for cheap.

#4 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

hur dur. Yahoo is teh sux

#5 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

News Flash! Most ISPs do the same and worse. So not really concerned with Yahoo.

It's insult to injury, not only are your taxes going towards spying on yourself, but the fee you pay for your internet connection is going to the company that sells the info on what you're doing and the ability to tap your connection.

So you're kind of double paying your ISP.

#6 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

actually pretty much everything you do goes to government or sold to third parties, like when you go to a mall and see those car giveaways where you sign a slip with some of your info, where do you think the companys get the money to buy the cars/advertising, they sell all your info to third parties.
In reality nothing is safe, if someone who wants to find you knows you ssn, they can find you, where you live, neighbors, people that are associated to you, people at work relatives, ect...
When you open a bank account information can be given to third parties, and if you file a credit report, anyone can pull that up.
Information that some third parties have can even show what type of car you have, your license, and professional licenses, if you own propriety.
So our information has never been safe, its been going on for a long long time now.

#7 Ahkmed

Ahkmed

DICK RAMM

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Oh no teh governments is going to get mah top secret infos I be mailing

#8 Ahkmed

Ahkmed

DICK RAMM

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

and they are going to make me double post

Edited by Ahkmed, 08 December 2009 - 01:40 PM.

#9 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Lmao

#10 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member