• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

So yes, my 4850x2 kicked the bucket the other day............ but I resurrected it.

Removed anything I could remove from the card, such as plastic shrouds, back panel shield, heatsinks, and any leftover thermal paste. Obviously some heatsinks are next to impossible to remove such as ram heatspreaders etc. As much as you possibly can.

Roll up acouple of tinfoil balls and place card on the balls ontop of a cookie sheet. Do not place card directly on rack. Preheat oven to 385F(solder melts around 360-365F) Once preheated, place card in oven for 6-10 minutes. Once solder appears 'shiny' which means it's reached the point of melting, or if you smell the nice aroma of melted solder remove card and cool for 1 hour. Reattach removed bits and put card in computer and see if it works. Sometimes does, sometimes doesnt, when it does work it's awesome :P DO NOT PUT CARD IN FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES!!!!!

Also suggest opening a few windows as well, and leave oven door open after done so the smell and other harmful odors can escape.

This will work more often than one would think. Have actually fixed a laptop that had video issues. Also works with xbox's too, just remove the motherboard and heatsinks off and use above directions. Will fix RROD's no problem usually.

Edited by Scroll_Lock88, 29 January 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

Forgot to add when propping it up on the tinfoil put it on the edges of the card, where there isnt any ram chips, etc. The Power connectors, and the display connectors are useful for this.

Also, GPU side down.

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

so you used heat to mend the circuits? did that myself for an old card, it works well but one must remain logical.

#4 fivedeadlyvenoms

fivedeadlyvenoms

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

gj bro!!!!!scroll lock with the skillz :)

#5 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

microwave the b*tch next time

#6 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

so you used heat to mend the circuits? did that myself for an old card, it works well but one must remain logical.

More often a temporary fix but it will sometimes get your dead component working again if it's a solder joint issue. I just wanted to do it so I could hold off until starcraft 2 comes out then replace the card.

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Just cooked a 7900GT that was having vertical line problem and after 6 minutes in the oven, blam! Good as new :P

#8 fivedeadlyvenoms

fivedeadlyvenoms

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

wow..that really works????????......

#9 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts