10 replies to this topic

#1 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

i cant use my computer because i tried to do a system restore and it started to reformat. so i shut it off. i have alot of kids pictures on it that i dont want to lose. anyone have any ideas how i can get the pictures off it?

#2 mr.lively

mr.lively

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

live cd and a usb stick.

i assume you know how to burn a cd given an .iso image.

Edited by mr.lively, 13 April 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#3 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

put the HDD into another system and recover what you can onto another hard drive, or boot from a live linux disc like Lively recommended and backup stuff onto a flash drive

It's very strange that your computer would start formatting while doing a system restore, I hope that you are able to recover your pictures and pr0n

#4 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

I say you take the drive out of the computer, then go over Bruce's with it. Have him put it in his computer then store the file's you want .

#5 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Depending on the manufacturer, it may have already completed a quick format on the drive. Takes maybe a second for the computer to complete this type of format but it thinks the drive is now empty but your information is still there.

I would of course bring it to another computer and see if it indeed finished quick formatting the drive. If the drive shows up blank or doesnt have near as much stuff as it used to have may have to look into some data recovery programs.

Also with it completing a format like this, if it wrote anything to the drive after formatting could be a chance it wrote on the sector with your information on it.

Also, pulling the plug during a format isn't a healthy thing to do for a harddrive, may have created a bad sector on the spot it was currently on while formatting :P

#6 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:46 AM

i have alot of kids pictures on it that i dont want to lose

sick bastard

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

haha

#8 mr.lively

mr.lively

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

sick bastard

we all should have caught this immediately.

#9 Ahkmed

Ahkmed

DICK RAMM

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

we all should have caught this immediately.

I did when I first read it and I waited to see how many posts there would be about it. I was disappoint =(

#10 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

god damn my sh*t outta the bag lol im goin to brig it to a shop in town to have them help me out. the people i have asked for help dont seem to have the time. and i want to play some source. not to mention my patience for this micro laptop is runnin out.( its an acer aspire)

#11 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

IVe had this issue before, this is what ya need to do. Get on newegg and get one of these...

Hard drive enlcosure..

Take that hard drive out of the laptop, pop it in one of those and then plug it up to another pc. It will read it like a flash drive and you should be able to get your stuff off of it, however like said above turning it off in a format might have caused some bad sectors, dont know till you hook it up though. Hope that helps..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users