13 replies to this topic

#1 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hey wassaup, i think my video card is starting to sh*t the bed but i'm not entirely sure. Games crash anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes of playing, lots of colored squares (usually all the same color) i wasn't sure because the sound stops and everything locks up. i don't have any problems when surfing the net or anything just playing games. Just trying to figure out if its the video card or not before i go buying a new one any help would be great thanks...

#2 Whoops

Whoops

Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

If its like Counter-Strike that has the problem, which is a pretty low requirement game, I'd suggest removing your video card, and try using the onboard video to see if the problem still persists or if it goes away. If it persists, it isn't your video card. If it doesn't it is!

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

step1: upgrade videocard drivers.

#4 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

If its like Counter-Strike that has the problem, which is a pretty low requirement game, I'd suggest removing your video card, and try using the onboard video to see if the problem still persists or if it goes away. If it persists, it isn't your video card. If it doesn't it is!

Protip, not every computer has onboard video. Also, if he has onboard chances are it's intel x series onboard which in most circumstances not even boot into games so that right there throws that idea out the window.

Heat is definitely the issue here, if you are running an ATI series card, check in the control panel and relay the temperatures you are getting in the 'OVERDRIVE' section. Doesnt have to be in game, just the idle temps will work.

Next, pull side panel off and clean it out, you have been cleaning it out every so often right? Probably not, bet it's a heaping mass of pubic hair and spent cum from your late night orgies ;)

If all fans appear to be functioning with the computer running, take a box fan or desk fan and point it at the videocard this will ensure maximum cool air to the videocard, if the CPU was overheating your computer would shut off or randomly restart not display graphical corruption.

Hurry now, time is of the essence, you have 9 minutes and 42 seconds before your computer is unrepairable and you will need to buy a new one........

#5 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

prepares for an assreaming (i have a gtx 280) ya ya ya i know .... according to my precision my temps are about where they always are....I've had the card for about 2 years now .... and i also tried a device sweeper to get rid of old drivers and dl the newest ones. seemed like there was a set that it wouldn't get rid of tho.... i do blow the pc out every 3 months or so.... i'll take it out and blow it again and try that out....

Edited by AssHattery, 19 June 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#6 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Excessive...use...of...ellipses...

1. Update video drivers. For a gtx 280 they can be found here: linky
2. Even if updated drivers fix the problem, I would recommend cleaning out the card. Take off the front metal cover or whatever there is on your card and clean the dust out of the blower and the heatsink.
3. If nothing works, baking might be the only option (but i've never done it so i can't help with that)

#7 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Excessive...use...of...ellipses...

1. Update video drivers. For a gtx 280 they can be found here: linky
2. Even if updated drivers fix the problem, I would recommend cleaning out the card. Take off the front metal cover or whatever there is on your card and clean the dust out of the blower and the heatsink.
3. If nothing works, baking might be the only option (but i've never done it so i can't help with that)

ya i've never taken the actual cover off the vid card just kinda blew out the fan and such i'll have to give that a try prolly some crud built up in there than

#8 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

Well if none of the above works, try the boxfan method, point it right on the side panel of the computer with it off and blow it directly inside, will definitely give you a yes or no answer on heat being the cause.

If it continues to do it, multicolored squares and similar or varying colors is a RAM issue on the card. Only way to fix is to send it in to get RMA'd. Since it's EVGA it will still be under warranty.

#9 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Well if none of the above works, try the boxfan method, point it right on the side panel of the computer with it off and blow it directly inside, will definitely give you a yes or no answer on heat being the cause.

If it continues to do it, multicolored squares and similar or varying colors is a RAM issue on the card. Only way to fix is to send it in to get RMA'd. Since it's EVGA it will still be under warranty.

ok went out and baught a few more cans of air (i ran out when i cleaned it before) and took the video card out and gave it a good blowjob there was quite a bit of dust inside started to try to take the thing apart but i pussied out and just blew it out the best i could hopefully that will help thanks for the advice i'll let ya know how it turns out.

#10 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Good thing you didnt take it apart, would have voided your warranty :P

#11 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Good thing you didnt take it apart, would have voided your warranty :P

ya its running about 20 degrees cooler now i'll be cleaning this b*tch once a week now

#12 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Nah, once a month is more than sufficient, hell I do my main PC's every 2 sometimes 3 months. Only when I can see large amounts of dust buildup do I take it apart and clean it.

#13 HistoryGuy

HistoryGuy

Lurker

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

...and took the video card out and gave it a good blowjob there...

I lol'ed.

#14 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

and that'd be the second thread necro'd in under a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users