14 replies to this topic

#1 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

So, for about two months now I have been having ridiculous amounts of problems with my old gaming laptop.
It started off with a blue screen here and there, and then one day it would not boot to the OS. I got
several errors pertaining to the memory, telling me it needs to be reseated etc etc. So, I took one of the
sticks out (I have 4GB, 2 x 2) and reformatted the computer. I got Windows 7 32-bit working fine with 2GB
of memory in it.

After a couple days of use, more bsod's appeared and it wouldn't boot to the OS again. So, I tried reformatting
with different OS's just out of boredom and all of them failed. I've tried Vista, XP, Win 7, and Linux Mint 8.
After being thoroughly frustrated, I took Shadow's advice and ran memtest for the modules. With all 4GB in the
machine it failed and hung up with 35+ errors on the first pass. So, out of curiosity, I ran memtest against
each module individually to see what I'd get. Ran for 7 hrs with 0 errors. I also tried switching the sticks
in different slots. Consequently, each stick runs with zero errors individually, but hangs up when both slots
are in use.

I'm starting to think it's a dual channel issue or something, but I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting
memory and such. It may not be a memory issue either. I am honestly at a loss anymore. As I type this, I am
on the laptop using a Linux Mint 8 bootable disk, and it runs fine with no problems (I'm confused).

Any who, if anyone has any ideas or any suggestions, I will gladly take them in with open arms because I don't
know where to go with this anymore. I really don't want to start buying memory and hard drives just to see if
that would fix it because I am broke.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance guys. I appreciate it.

#2 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Well, it is definitely a memory problem. Probably some bios setting is f*cking it up?

#3 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Well, it is definitely a memory problem. Probably some bios setting is f*cking it up?

Well, it could be something in the bios. I just never made any changes in there though
other than system passwords and such. Also, my bios is the newest version for this machine.
It's been running stable with this version for about a year now. I thought about maybe rolling
it back a version, but I dunno.

#4 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Well, maybe not. If the sticks tested fine individually but don't work in dual channel i have no idea what the problem could be.

#5 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Does the integrated video card use any memory for video? I have found in the past that a faulty GPU caused BSOD on a laptop that had a geforce card with turbocache.

#6 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

Does the integrated video card use any memory for video? I have found in the past that a faulty GPU caused BSOD on a laptop that had a geforce card with turbocache.

Scroll, all I know is it has two Nvidia Geforce 8800M GTX's (SLI) in it at 1024mb of video memory. So, it could be a video card problem too.
Man, I'm just lost with this one. I really don't want to start buying new parts left and right :19:. Any way to disable turbocache on them?

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Nah those wont have turbocache, it's only the models that are in the lower end spectrum.

Checked hardrive for errors at all? I know it's a shot in the dark but might as well check.

#8 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Nah those wont have turbocache, it's only the models that are in the lower end spectrum.

Checked hardrive for errors at all? I know it's a shot in the dark but might as well check.

I gotcha dude. I put a new hard drive in about a half a year ago, but that was my
next attempt in troubleshooting. I'll let you guys know if I find anything.

#9 lostcuaz

lostcuaz

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

run mem check and diagnotic util partition if you have it, f12 during boot

#10 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

run mem check and diagnotic util partition if you have it, f12 during boot

Hey Lost, for my Dell it's the function key. However, I have run this test a
couple times and it failed somewhere in the memory test (By fail, I mean it never even
got to finish. It would just reboot the system.). This time it actually performed all
of the tests properly and everything passed.

Then at the end it stated: Pre-boot System Assessment complete. No Diagnostic Utility
Partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system.

I can't believe everything passed. This is really starting to piss me off lol. Keep
throwing me suggestions guys. I'm willing to try everything I can to get this thing
functioning properly again. Thanks again for the help.

Edit:

Ahh, yeah sorry Lost. I guess the partition isn't there. Must have erased that sucker
a long time ago. I just used Fn to do a diagnostic boot. Which, for the past couple
times, has failed mid-process. It would just reboot the machine and not finish the
diagnostic test. The fact that it finished has me even more lost now because I was
going to write down where it was at before it restarted :whatever:.

-Lotus

Edited by Black_Lotus, 23 June 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#11 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

what the fuck is wrong with you? I told you to download a copy of Memtest86+, not the shit windows builtin epicfail tool.

#12 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

what the f*ck is wrong with you? I told you to download a copy of Memtest86+, not the sh*t windows builtin epicfail tool.

Come on Shadow. Read the top, I ran memtest brotha. For like 7+ hrs on each stick individually with 0 errors. Then
when I run memtest with both in it locks up with 35+ errors and reboots. So tell me what it is dude. Dual channel issues?
Motherboard is going up? I'm just trying everything I can lol (including fail options).

#13 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

sound's like a timing, speed or voltage issue, did you recently clear your CMOS?

#14 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Got another laptop around running same type of ram? Plop em in, see what happens. I have had faulty sticks of memory that memtest didnt report in the past, this may be a repeat occurence.

#15 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

Hermit

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

No, I have not recently cleared my CMOS brother. Also, I don't have another
laptop with the same type of memory in it (sorry Scroll). I have a feeling
that it is the memory, but I just want to be 100% sure before I go and buy
some new sticks.

Like I said before, they both pass with flying colors if tested individually,
but will fail (reboot the system mid test) if both slots are in use. I'll
try some other things this weekend I suppose. Still appreciate the help guys.

Thanks a bunch :9: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users