39 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

I decided to research overclocking some more and put some real effort into it this time. I ended up with 4.2ghz @ 1.34 volts for the i7 860 (hottest it got was 67 C), my ram isnt as awesome as i cant go above 1600 mhz much, it freaks out if i do, but it was ablt to hold a 8 8 8 24 1t timing, thats for 4 sticks of ram too. Im sure i can do better but im not exactly a genious at overclocking so ill keep what i got for now. Plus i love speedstep, goes back down to 1.8 ghz when im not doing crap. Yay for retard proof motherboards :P

Did a vantage run.. almost 30k :P

Posted Image

Edited by Bumblebee, 24 September 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#2 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

I suck at OCing. I don't even know what those numbers mean. What are they based off of? What f*cking comparison can I even make?

#3 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

I suck at OCing. I don't even know what those numbers mean. What are they based off of? What f*cking comparison can I even make?

It means you suck and should kill yourself

#4 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

It means you suck and should kill yourself

Who are you?

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

OCing isnt that hard, you just gota do your research before going into it. I looked at evga forums and the exteme forums shadow provided me, i found people with simular setups and saw what they were running. So far so good, at 4.2 ghz and no problems, sad part that ive been enlightened on is that for one the i7's are locked and the qpi is stuck at 4.8 while the amd cpus go over 6, doing benchmarks shadows amd is faster, at a lower clock speed of 4 ghz.... meh :P

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

don't forget the fact that its cheaper as well :evil: jokes aside though I feel that all in all you can only do so much in a game regardless since most are BARELY QuadCore optimized, let alone 6 cores.

I like this system because it just works now, and with my room ambient at 22c, cpu idling at 31-32 = good times, can't really complain about anything at this point I may buy a new rig down the road but this will last a long time tbh, probably just buy an SSD with SLC chips and a nice new 6000 series card down the road once prices level out.

#7 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

This H50 just wont cut it when the cores are all maxed out, temp kept getting higher and higher, i stoped the test when it hit 75C. Nothing i do uses that much of the cpu though so my temps never go above 45, so yay for that, but im planning on getting a better cooling system for the cpu, this time ill go one step farther and get a high end water system in which ill build myself. Im thinkin koolance atm but im not gonna upgrade till i haz the cash. Other thing i saw is they got an unlocked version of the i7's now for the p55 platform, and they gain jack sh*t from the cpu i got, waste of time. But ya right now even my cpu is overkill due to that nothing utilizes 4 or more cores. Im tellin ya though at 4 ghz or higher those 5870s screaaaam at warp 10. My fps in cs source is stuck at 299 and wont budge :evil:

#8 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

This H50 just wont cut it when the cores are all maxed out, temp kept getting higher and higher, i stoped the test when it hit 75C. Nothing i do uses that much of the cpu though so my temps never go above 45, so yay for that, but im planning on getting a better cooling system for the cpu, this time ill go one step farther and get a high end water system in which ill build myself. Im thinkin koolance atm but im not gonna upgrade till i haz the cash. Other thing i saw is they got an unlocked version of the i7's now for the p55 platform, and they gain jack sh*t from the cpu i got, waste of time. But ya right now even my cpu is overkill due to that nothing utilizes 4 or more cores. Im tellin ya though at 4 ghz or higher those 5870s screaaaam at warp 10. My fps in cs source is stuck at 299 and wont budge :evil:

I have myI7 at 3.8 for everyday use and with my one 5850@950/1250 my FPS in source is stuck at 299. Source is a highly CPU dependent you can use almost any card 7800 or higher and get great frames in source with a good cpu. Use a monitoring program when playing BFBC then you'll see the difference in the overclock.

#9 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

I get over 100 fps on bfbc2, avp, all those newer games all on max settings 1900X1080. muahaha :P But the h50 does good but there is a big difference in voltage from 3.8 to 4.2, i gota have it at least 1.38 volts to keep it stable, you can tell the difference when the heat starts to pour out of that cpu. I got a push pull setup but it just cant handle that much of an overclock, it does good but over 60C is too much for me to be happy. Now thats the cores maxed out, when gaming it never goes above 50 which is nice. When i do get that water setup im gonna get a damn good cpu block and pump to move the coolant better, plus a 3X120 radiator. That should rock.. :)

#10 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:41 AM

avoid koolance, they make awful water kits.

#11 bl1nk2much

bl1nk2much

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

avoid koolance, they make awful water kits.

I have been running my Koolance Case for over 5 years without issue...

Unless you talking more along the lines of the drop-in kits...

#12 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Drop-in kits blow monkey balls. I am pretty sure thats what shadow is talking about :P

#13 bl1nk2much

bl1nk2much

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Then I 100% agree :)

#14 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

even the cases they make suck dick for the price, hence why you don't see them being sold much anymore, but yeah I did mostly direct it towards their waterblocks and so on with their kits, they use 1/4" tubing, 1/2" is a lot better.

#15 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

Im not gonna buy a kit, im gonna buy all the stuff custom and all at 1/2" tubing, they have made some newer stuff on their website, some newer cpu blocks and radiators. Im still thinking about who ill go with but so far koolance has more options as far as instilation than some of the other companies out there.

#16 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

black ice rads or gtfo, and avoid koolance their blocks suck dick.

#17 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

I hear they mill their water blocks out of ape dicks, good reason not to buy them

#18 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Spent $350 on a setup, ill post when i get it all together. Yah the black ice rads were nice but im not payin $110 for just the damn radiator, espeically when im only runnin an i7 860. (3X120mm rad) I did however get the laning d5 from danger den with a resivour and some stuff from koolance, did some research on what was decent from each company. I got the pump already and the damn thing is HUGE.. way larger than i thought it would be, gonna be realll fun figureing out were to put that sucker.

#19 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

put the pump in or around the 5.25 bays, I really hope you didn't get a Koolance waterblock, also please DO NOT use those fucking Loolance water additives, just use distilled water (also no UV dyes, they fuck stuff).

another thing to note, DO NOT mix water block metals, example being Aluminum waterblock + Copper waterblock, they cause corrosion and fuck you bad.

#20 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Yah i know about the copper/alluminum corosion, i did order some liquid, but ill go get some distilled water for it. What i plan on doing is to put the loop together and run it for like 12 hours outside of the case for leak testing. The reseviour i got from danger den rocks out, its a 5.25 bay that holds like 400 ml so ill be able to see how full the system is from the front of the case. I thought about getting one of the speed controlled pumps but i didnt need that sh*t since you can control the pump using volts. Ill have to spend some time reagranging my case but it will rock when im done with it! I was surprised at the quality of that laning (IT tech) pump. Cant wait to see how loud it is lol

Edited by Bumblebee, 16 October 2010 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users