15 replies to this topic

#1 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

While playing cs and half-life 2 i always get memory errors. Sometime the game would just close to desktop and display a memory error message. but other times my computer would freeze and i would shut it down then reboot and a serious error message would appear. So i sent it to microsoft and it said it was a memory error. I then downloaded memtest and tested each individual memory stick in each of 3 memory slots. All times it would freeze up my computer while testing. I then bought 3 new sticks of ram. The same thing would happen. The old sticks i have had since i bought my computer and have worked perfectly until now. The odds of 3 brand new sticks of ram all having the same problem is very low. I am thinking its the actual slots on the motherboard that are f*cked up. If anyone has had this problem please share the method you used to fix it. otherwise i am going to buy a whole new motherboard and see what that does. by the way the new memory i bought was 3 sticks of 512mb kingston pc2700 (ddr 333). Yes it is the right kind. Also i have been getting like 25-30 fps in cs and halflife2. even when my ping is like in the 20s during cs. Far cry and doom 3 also have low fps and freeze up with memory errors. Please Help!

concerning the fps i have a bfg 6800 gt overclocked and a pentium 4 2.0 (god that sucks). Its not the processor that is bottlenecking me cause my friend has the exact same computer as me graphics card and all (we built them at the same time about three years ago) and he gets 80-100 fps.

#2 NipLick

NipLick

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:49 AM

Did you try formatting and re-installing? The operating system controls what goes in and out of ram (application wise) Thats certainly what i would try first

#3 angrybrit

angrybrit

Shinobi of Tina's body

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

You tried to test it out for a few days without having your video card overclocked, right?

#4 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

its a bfg card. they come overclocked by a very small amount. they do rigorous (is that f*cking spelled right) testing on them. I have reformatted and reinstalled like 5 times. Still the same thing. It f*cking sucks!

#5 NipLick

NipLick

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

What OS are you running?

Also, motherboard components are very sensitive to electromagnetic static, it is possible that a jolt of static electricity could have damaged a chip on your DMA bus

Well, if you could afford 3 new RAM chips, you should be able to afford a $60-$70 mboard.

They are dirt cheap on www.pricegrabber.com

Also, if it has the same problem, just return the motherboard and get your money back.

One more thing, there IS such thing as PFM (Pure f*cking Magic). Try unseating every component from the board. This includes all the PCI cards, Vcard, RAM, and processor. Spray with compressed air then put it all back together. Sounds crazy, but I've done this for a similar problem and it worked just fine.

#6 angrybrit

angrybrit

Shinobi of Tina's body

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

Go to your local computer shop and have it checked out. It's usually around 20$ (35$ CAD).

It's worth it. If you continue, you may damage your stuff. :21:

#7 Riel

Riel

One Scary Fucker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

lol either a bad stick of memory, bios battery is dying, memory stick of two different brands and types, or memory stick of two different sizes if it is dual channel motherboard

#8 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

i just order a new motherboard off of newegg last night. I am gonna take my old one to have it checked out. Then i may just sell it to a store that buys used computers. Thanks.

#9 MoToRhEaD

MoToRhEaD

I'm 2 sexy for this forum

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

wait your mom screwed up?

lol

#10 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

What? lol

#11 misterweels

misterweels

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

ram might be loose push it in more

#12 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

Got a new motherboard. It kicks ass. I am getting way higher fps. I was inspired by my new motherboard so i went ahead and bought a new case too. Check it out! I also downloaded and installed firefox. It f*cking rox. I am so happy now.

I like Kittens!?!?!?!

#13 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

id get a new motherboard if i knew what kind to get and how to install it and such

#14 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

dude its so easy. Just read the instruction booklet. It will tell you how to do everything. It really isnt hard at all. As for know what kind to get. If you know what kind of processor you have then you are all set. They go buy brand and socket type. I have a socket 478 so i got a socket 478 motherboard. its really not that complicated.

#15 DarkVeX

DarkVeX

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

which mobo did you get... b/c i just recently purchased a new socket478 cpu ( ik ik..didnt wanna get a new mobo.. but now i think i need to ) and im looking for a new mobo... does it have 4 184 pin ram slots?.... and whats the min fsb for the cpu?

b/c i also upgraded to a gig of pc2700 ddr 333

( yeah.. ik.. but im poor.. so :P )

#16 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:53 PM

This is it. Motherboard

Edited by kidcapri, 23 July 2005 - 09:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users