20 replies to this topic

#1 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:59 PM

Ok so i am thinking about buying some kind of cooling for my processor so i wont have to put up with these high ass cpu temps anymore. I want to overclock my processor. So what is the best fan heatsink combo? I'm not really interested in water cooling. I just dont trust having water flowing through my computer. Anyways if anyone has some suggestions whether it be from personal experience or a friend/family members experience let me know. Thanks in advance.

#2 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:14 PM

what socket?

#3 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

pentium 4 478

#4 CakeCutter

CakeCutter

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

I suggest a Thermaltake heatsink, I oced my 1800+ to a 2200+ without it getting too hot but it was pretty loud

#5 Dr. White

Dr. White

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

Make sure you carefully select a thermal paste. The ones that come on the fans are usually pretty crap, and it really makes the difference between cheap stuff and good stuff.

#6 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

yeah i know about the thermal paste. Im just wondering what the best brand is. And the best model for the best brand and so on.

#7 Dr. White

Dr. White

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:40 PM

yeah i know about the thermal paste. Im just wondering what the best brand is. And the best model for the best brand and so on.

Thermaltake, for sure, almost always.

Best brand for thermal paste is ... oh sh*t I can't remember the name and I cant be arsed to go get the tube

#8 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

arctic silver...... I have an all copper Zalman which is prolly overkill for an AMD 64 as they dont run too hot. This is prolly your best bet as they are big, copper and quiet. Also expensive. Make sure you get something thats, at least, part copper as aluminum is a sh*tty conductor of heat. Stay away from anything with a "delta" fan as they are loud as hell and annoying. If you dont mind spending $50 get a zalman. (i think you can get one thats part aluminum for less than that)

#9 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Fan 1

fan 2

fan 3

I've been looking at these three. Have you guys had any experience with any of these? If so which is a good choice.

#10 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:17 PM

i know this doesnt answer your question. but i also have a question. answer his before mine since its his thread. but how do i know if i need a fan or how do i check my temperature of my computer. i have bios but i dont know how to use it. is there any way 9800xt could over heat. all i do is play games on this computer. i have 2 fans, but theyre nothing special. they were both like 10 bucks.

#11 Dr. White

Dr. White

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

i know this doesnt answer your question. but i also have a question. answer his before mine since its his thread. but how do i know if i need a fan or how do i check my temperature of my computer. i have bios but i dont know how to use it. is there any way 9800xt could over heat. all i do is play games on this computer. i have 2 fans, but theyre nothing special. they were both like 10 bucks.

Well... uhh, if I understood you correctly, every cpu needs a fan to run... sometimes at all. I remember watching a video of what will happen to your processor if you dont have a fan on it, and half of them, usually AMD's litterally burst into smoke and burned right up.

As for the temperature in your computer, my computer has a temp gauge in the front, usually you need something to measure it and my case came with one, but I believe there is a program you can get that goes with the apparatus to tell you what the temp is if you dont have a guage on the front. If you didn;t build it yourself I wouldn't worry about anything, usually they take care of everything and company built computers usually dont overheat too bad.

As for Capri, any 3 of the fans you were looking at are good. Copper is definitely the way to go. If i were you, I'd just pick one, since I built mine on somewhat of a budget I had to make sacrafices (like my HD) so I don't know what kind of situation you're in.

If you can't afford a good fan, do what I do, open all 3 of your windows in the dead of winter, and have a small desk fan blowing into the side with the side opened up (its a glass window side anyway, why the hell not?) Ghetto, I know, but it works.

EDIT: Oh Derek, the fans you bought were cheap case fans, I know, I bought like 6 of em, all of them light up blue, costed me only like 25 bucks for all of em.. cpu fans are differen't althogether.

Edited by Dr. White, 07 October 2005 - 10:15 PM.

#12 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

Zalman is the way to go. SOLID copper. That heatpipe one is gay. P4s dont get really hot anyways so you could prolly get away with a simple/cheap one thats the same design as the stock P4 one but copper.... To the best of my knowledge: P4s cant really overheat, theyll just run at lower clock speeds as not to burn themselves out. AMDS, on the other hand will smoke/melt/catch on fire.....

Derek: Your 9800 CAN overheat. This would cause it to be unstable and crash a lot. It prolly wont overheat enough to f*ck it up unless your heatsink came out of contact from the processor. Descent fans in any normal machine will prolly be good enough. Best thing to do is to keep your box relatively clean and take all the dust and sh*t out of your heatsinks. Replace your fans when they get noisy. The ONLY time i ever had a problem with a computer getting too hot was with my dual athlon mp machine in a very hot room. with very crappy fans and a 6 scsi 10k rpm hdds in it.... AS far as checking your temp, there is a few programs thatll do this, but may be in accurate depending on the sensors on your motherboard. Try MBM5. IF your box is stable after a few hours of straight gaming i wouldnt worry about it......

#13 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

yeah ive never crashed or anything, and ill play 8 hours straight sometimes. and theres not a game i run on anything less than high. my case wasnt built by a company, i didnt put it together either. i picked out all the parts and paid a guy to put them together. i have one of those blue cheap fans and a side fan on my case. theres another fan under the power source. and when you say heatsink do you mean the fan that the video card comes with? u clean out the dust every now and then. whats a good temperature for a computer to be. i remember in bios i saw it was 70-80 degrees celsius. is that good? i remember asking someone after i saw that and they said i dont need to worry about anything. this was months ago though.

#14 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

everything that has a heatsink should be cleaned including CPU, GPU and chipset heatsinks. Pay special attention to inside your powersupply cuz a ton of sh*t builds up in there and its a b*tch to get out on most PSUs. (mine has a clear window that makes cleaning easy) Canned air works good if you arent a dumbass and waste it all by turning the can upside down and freeze sh*t with it. (alot of fun though) I actually use a gas powered blower which works good if you are carefull. :1:

#15 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

Thermalright xp90c. Rave reviews, pretty awesome overlocking results. One drawback is that it's pretty expensive, big and it may be loud depending on what fan you use.

#16 Riel

Riel

One Scary Fucker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

find CPU temp in the bios, when boot PC hit the "DEL" key opens a bios advanced screen, big and blue usually. In there you will find PC health tells you temperatures of inside case and the CPU

#17 Dwkillzone

Dwkillzone

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

Hey I'm with keira on this one. If i were to upgrade cpu cooling i would most definitely go with the heatsink and fan from thermalright. I have also heard good things about them from sites and reviews. Check them on at Thermalright.com. I believe the only thing that is going to fit that socket is going to be the XP-90 or the XP-90 copper edition. So check them out. Lata :tup:

#18 Dwkillzone

Dwkillzone

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

I think that Intel sucks anyways now. Every since i built my new computer and purchased an AMD i think that i was such a better decision. Good luck.

#19 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

Zalman 90 or 120 mm fans are silent and provide some of the best cooling.. its also important too consider you intake and outtake fans.. you dont want your cpu spinning around reused air that already hot

#20 Matthew585

Matthew585

Lurker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have the same Pentium 4 478 socket and its a 3.4E HT and it runs hot like 60C on stock cooling and then one day I was like screw it and bit the bullet and bought a XP-90C and a Silent Cat 90mm fan and wow what a difference it made from 60C on load it went down to 50C and thats also with Artic Silver 5 but make sure you can fit your xp-90C in the case before you buy my fits perfectly also make sure you case cooling is good like having 1-2 intake fans and 1-2 outtake fans like on the top or the back. My setup is 2 intake fans that cool hard drive and bring air into the case then there is 2 outtake fans on the top one is the powersupply and the other is just at the top and then there is a 120mm fan right besides my cpu that sucks the hot air off the processor cooling. my average temp inside case is about 28C so thats really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users