17 replies to this topic

#1 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

ive never done this before but found a link http://www.pcstats.c...id=1803&page=10 to overclock my card with riva tuner.

its a nice step by step but not sure what it means when it says now nechmark after increasing and record resulsts. when i increase and press test, there are not resulsts. do i need another program that benchpresses if so which one???

right now, defualts for my 9800xt is 411.8 for core and 364.5 for memory. out of 620 and 550. also do i need to increase fan speed, bc its on defualt which is 25% of max speed. so after overclocking should i increase that? ive never done overclocking is it safe i dont want my vid card breaking i just want to get the best out of it??

thanks

#2 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

It's good to see some interest in this area. First off, you're using the wrong software (rivatuner) if your using an 9800xt ati. Want you want to get is an ati based overclocking util like atitool. You can get that and find more useful info at:

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

The buttons are pretty self explanatory but if you run into any questions or problems, feel free to contact me or anyone else who is familiar with this.

Edited by keira, 27 November 2005 - 04:40 PM.

#3 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

alright thanks, i have it scanning right now. is it safe to overclock? ive never done this and how will it increase?...like fps or visual quality...

and what about overclocking processors, i know you do that thru bios, but is that something i shoudl look into?

thanks keira

#4 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

It all depends, whenever you're overclocking, it pretty much voids the warranty. But if your looking for that extra fps, then it's a pretty easy way of getting the most out of the video card.

First things first, focus on one subject at a time. If your main priority is to overclock the video card, make that your first. Overclocking the cpu gives you more performance but then your talking about... do you have the right cooling equipment? memory? memory timings? voltage? Overclocking the processor can get tricky and takes alot of patience. Again, overclocking the video card is the easiest solution at the moment.

The atitool is badass for an ati card. When you overclock, make sure you increase the fan speed too because the gpu is going to get hot. Find out what your max gpu core and memory is.

Edited by keira, 27 November 2005 - 04:52 PM.

#5 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

ok from 411.8 tp 435.38 after 2 tests and from 364.5 to 389.25
so what should i overide my fan speeds to?

Edited by NC Derek, 27 November 2005 - 05:01 PM.

#6 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

use the 3d view that comes with the atitool. It's a handy video card bench which checks for any artifacts.when it runs into artifacts, the program should automatically bump the frequency down.

simply put, scan for artifacts until there are none.

Edited by keira, 27 November 2005 - 05:01 PM.

#7 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

what's your fan speed percentage right now

#8 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:23 PM

current speed says 0%
fixed= 100%

then gpu says over 127 celcius at 100%

theres an option to try to keep fans at 70 celcius, but thats not checked

why is current 0?

also the archive i dont htink found anything bc it never said or changed anything. so how do i set 435 and 389 now?

#9 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

127 is way too hot man. I hope the fan is going pretty fast. Pretty odd that it intially said 0%

Edited by keira, 27 November 2005 - 05:28 PM.

#10 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

ok setting at keep at 70c made it 50%

so is it set, i made a new profile for the new speeds? is it good to go?

thanks a lot keira, youve been a big help :tup:

#11 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

settings button, there should a be a fan section. Manually adjust the fan % speed to anything besides 0%. Do say 60%. You gotta keep that card cool

You can try out your new profile settings and see if it's good but be aware that you'll prolly have to adjust it again.

#12 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

after clicking enable keep temps at 70, fan is 100, i gues bc it was over 70 before.

gpu temp is 70, chip temp is 48

do you think itll be fine? i dont want it to overheat, i dont have money to get a new card. i have a fan on the powersupply, heatsink fan on the processor and a fan on the side case, and will that fan on the vid card that came with it be enoguh?

i ahve to move my sh*t back to school from home now that break is over so ill be back on in 2 hours or soo....thanks alot keira

Edited by NC Derek, 27 November 2005 - 05:36 PM.

#13 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

how noisy is the card at 100%. I'd try bumping it down if it is too noisy. That would mean you checking the "fixed percentage" instead of ""keep gpu temp at". From there you can adjust how fast you want the fan to go

#14 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

It should be ok as long as you monitor it here and there. If you do see artifacts when playing games or experience a sudden reboot, then you know your card is clocked a bit too high. There adjust the frequencies down a little until you notice a solid improvment. Again, most of this is trial and error for each person because everyone has a unique and different configuration. Keep me in the loop on how the video card works out.

#15 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

i cant hear my card bc my fan on the side is kind of noisy. no rattling, just hear air passing thru. i have some questions:

how do i save the new profile as deafualt so it stays like that

and what are artifacts? when scanning are they those little yellow dots? bc as i lowere the speed i see more and more...

whats a good fan speed and whats a good temp. usually its between 71-82 celcius

Edited by NC Derek, 27 November 2005 - 08:22 PM.

#16 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

my 7800 runs at 130 dg stable, when its oc'ed and benchmarking!

#17 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

derek mentioned 120+ celsius which is ridiculous. If he meant fahrenheit, then that's ok. 71-82 C is pretty normal. Yes, the artifacts that you see are the yellow dots etc. I have my fan speed at 65%. That is bretty normal. 100% might be overkill and could reduce the life of the fan because it's spinning at its max all the time. To save your settings, just click the "new" button and type in a name that you'll know and that should pretty much save it.

#18 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:31 PM

ok i have it at 441 and 399 now. its more than the test showed, but my suitemate recommended me getting it up there after playing around with overclocking his x800, i have the fan speed on 65%. and temps seem to stay in the high 70's. i tried css, and i didnt see any artifacts. when i did the scan for artifacts, i see a lot of little yellow dots arond the 3d image so are those yellow dots articfacts? i didnt see as many as when i had it set at the max the tests found. but when moving them up to what my suitemate says i see more, should i put them back?

Edited by NC Derek, 27 November 2005 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users