17 replies to this topic

#1 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

i finally got in to bios, delete never worked but i found out i need to press it the second i turn on my computer on the first screen. anyways after overclocking my vid card yesterday i figured i should tweak up some other things. i dont really know alot about bios so i didnt want to play around with numbers. i enabled hyper threading since i know my processor supports that and it wasnt on and i moved performance up to fast from normal, it can still go to turbo. is there any other tweaks i can do? im going to find a link to see how i can speed up my processor too or if there is a program for it like ati tool.

#2 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

Tweaking the system is quite different than tweaking a video card. most of the overclocking will be done via bios. To get the most out of your system, one would need to know what kind of cpu you have, mobo, and memory (brand, model#, speed).

#3 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

yeah i have cpu-z so it tells me all that stuff. i just wouldnt know what i need it for. i know in bios i can change the numbers its on 133mhz now out of 266, i just dont want to break anything. should i try turbo instead of fast? i noticed shut down and restarting takes less than 10 seconds now.

#4 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

say good buy to your mobo lol

#5 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:09 AM

yeah i have cpu-z so it tells me all that stuff. i just wouldnt know what i need it for. i know in bios i can change the numbers its on 133mhz now out of 266, i just dont want to break anything. should i try turbo instead of fast? i noticed shut down and restarting takes less than 10 seconds now.

i suggest goin on some overclocking forumns. those dudes who do it know alot and prolly will prevent you from blowing your system up. one thing i suggest is just getting an aftermarket fan to begin w/if you alrdy havnt. thats just one thing that'll maka difference. umm otherwise, gl and hope that 200$ cpu dont fry :tup:

#6 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

i found a link how to overclock a processor
http://www.hwupgrade...cpu/index5.html
im not going to do it though, i really dont want to break anything or have to buy a new cooling unit

should i put performance on turbo thru bios?

#7 Dwkillzone

Dwkillzone

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

I have that same thing in my bios. I have the K8N Neo2 Platnium motherboard by msi. It allows me to overclock the processor and everything straight through the bios. I'll have to try it sometime. Give that turbo thing a try and see what happens. I can't guarentee it's going to work forever but you can see what improves on the computer and everything if you do it. Let us know if anything goes up in smoke. LOL. :dork:

#8 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:19 PM

ok i have it on turbo and hyperthreading. lets see how it does. hope it doesnt break this needs to last me until end of 2006, early 2007

#9 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

If you would like to see if there is a performance improvement, try running some benchmarks like 3dmark, sisoft sandra. It would have been beneficial if you did a before and after but that would mean you reverting your current settings.

#10 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

ahh the power of voltage. err ive been sitin around all mornin trying to get my cpu to 2.6 and i think i got it! ive been runin a stress test for the past 15 mins and it sems stable, take that FX57. now to se if it will run 3dmark without crashing.

#11 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:12 PM

is overclocking a processor a good idea to do? i mean its like either 133 166 or 200. or you can go increments of 1 in advanced. but theres more than 1 categorie to change and i dont know much about it. in that link up there, theres a test tool. not sure if i should or what it is.

#12 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

i dont know anything about oc'in an intel. or what it can handle, i still cant get 3d mark to run at 2.6 erggg. 2.58 is all she can do, until i know more about the fine tuning!

#13 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

i dont recomend oc'in any thing, most of the time you end up in a worse situatuion than you started in. for example, before i started to try to push to get to 2.6 instead of being happy with 2.5 oc'ed my computer would make 2 and a half pases at windows start up. now its taking 10!. strange things happen when you turn your cpu or gpu up more that they want to be. if you dont mind mesin with you pc every once in a while because something random happend from tryin to push the limits then go for it. BE WARNED after you start to oc you cant stop! its like crack! also oc'in is mostly for geting nice benchmarks, not playing games. it isent very noticable in game.

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

yeah im not going to mess with it, but is having it on turbo performance a good option? and hyper threading? also any other tweaks, like game xp or any other things that tweak things up?

#15 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

i dont have those options in my bios, i would have it hyperthread but i dont know about the other stuf, there are difrent options from amd to intel. i know the amd allot better. sry, try to go to the website of your mobo and join the fourms, they will know the bios better than anyone.

#16 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:14 PM

When I change something in bios I usually have to reformat or worse so I generally refrain from it. But yeah you can tweak alot of sh*t there if you know what you're doing.

#17 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

When I change something in bios I usually have to reformat or worse so I generally refrain from it. But yeah you can tweak alot of sh*t there if you know what you're doing.

thanks, frag. you helped out a lot. :20:

just kidding, man. i dont even feel like doing sh*t to my comp.. imma save up, buy a better one, and give this one to my lil bro. :perk:

#18 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:49 PM

i found this on a review on my motherboard. it showed evrything using bios with pics

Overclocking on this particular board is not good. The maximum I could overclock my P4 2.8Ghz to was 2.94Ghz which it then proceeded to completely corrupt my windows install. An overclock of any less is just not worth it and the performance difference is negligible. Don't get me wrong, the options are there to do it, but the Via P4X400 is not an overclocker friendly chipset by any means. Trust me, I own two computers based on this chipset. Great for everyday use at stock settings, but a nightmare for overclocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users