21 replies to this topic

#1 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

ive had cod2 for a month now and never had any problems with it until yesterday. i had a blue screen all of the sudden, i dont know a lot about the blue screen of death, but the blue screen ive been getting doesnt have a ny words or numbers on it so i dont know if what im getting is the same. anyways i played cod2 a few hours after it happend yesterday without any problems and then again today for about a half hour before getting this blue screen again. i then restarted because that was my only option assumed so i play cod2 again for about 5 minutes and it happens again. i then restart and jion a server and play fine for an hour until i got tired of playing. when i get this blue screen, i hear 1 beep i guess from my mother board, then the game stops and i get a blue screen. i can still hear a repeated sound of cod2 that plays over and over. esc or the windows key,,,nothing works. so i jsut restart my computer. i think my hardware meets requirements for this game and nothing is overheating. anyone know what this problem is?

#2 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Is it one long beep or one short beep? Long being never-ending.

Edited by kidcapri, 17 December 2005 - 12:50 AM.

#3 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:41 AM

is your cord stuck in your fan again?? :20:

#4 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:26 AM

Is it one long beep or one short beep? Long being never-ending.

1 short beep

#5 ashbash

ashbash

- The English Wanker -

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

play C:SS

#6 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

One long beep is your power supply. I can't remember what one short beep is. I'll look it up and get back to you.

Wait i found it.

System RAM Refresh failure. Your programmable interrupt timer on your motherboard has failed. It could also be your interrupt controller, but either way, your motherboard will need to be replaced to fix it.

#7 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

thanks for finding that. but why would that happen? and why only sometimes, and the only few times it has, why cod2? thats not even the most demanding game i play...

#8 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:31 PM

thanks for finding that. but why would that happen? and why only sometimes, and the only few times it has, why cod2? thats not even the most demanding game i play...

maybe you shud turn those hax down. lol sucks u gotta getta new motherboard. go pci-e and sell me ur 9800!

#9 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:14 PM

ok its happend twice today, and there is no beep at all. not sure if there ever was. but there wasnt a beep both times today. the screen just turns blue. and i hear sound from the game. is that still a problem with my motherboard and ram? i really hope its not serious, i dont have money for new parts and when i do have money im not going to want to upgrade just my motherboard, id go all out and get a new vid card, motherboard, processor....eh everything... so is just a blue screen the same problem? no beeps?

ok im playing right now and i minimize every now and then to watch the virtual memory. i have 1 gig of ram. and the game takes up around 350000k. but available is usually around 200000k which is a lot less than proccesses add up to. its usually between 194000 and 205000 as i play but i guess as i play it goes down slowly. what the hell is the problem?!?! when i play bf2 or css i usualy have over 500000k available.

my friend suggested me having a memory leak. i dont know what that is. is it possible that one game is causing that? or what the hell is that?

Edited by NC Derek, 18 December 2005 - 11:35 PM.

#10 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

Ill start off by saying that I didnt read your last post :20:

CoD2 is weird. There is a certain level that i get too, and i just lag so much that i cant even walk... i dont know whats up with that. :33:

#11 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:56 PM

Think of your memory as a glass. When you have an application open its kind of like pouring water into the glass. Now lets say there is a whole near the top of the glass. When you have too many applications or one memory hogging one open, your memory (glass) begins to get full. When the Information (water) reaches the hole, Information begins to pour out. Thus causing parts of the applications that are open to be missing. That is a memory leak.

If you have more that one stick of ram, try taking one out and then running cod2. If it still does it, take the other one out and put the one you took out before back in. If it still does it, then you probably have a problem with your motherboard.

What kind of bios does your system have? Like Award, Ibm, and Ami. This would help with finding the specific problem.

Edited by kidcapri, 19 December 2005 - 12:01 AM.

#12 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:08 AM

yeah its hard to realize that a game takes up a gig of ram. i thought a ram was more than enough. and i gurantee i dont have any viruses or spyware eating them up in the backround. i use msconfig to disable any sh*t that i dont want running. thanks for the avid description of a leak. i dont remember what bios i have i could look it up. last week i had it all down bc i was going to update till i found out it cost money. but i had all the info. according to system information i have smbios version 2.2 and phoeniz technologies, ltd 6.00 pg, 5/16/2003. i went to the bios upgrade site and it told me all the info with that zip program but i forget how i found that site. if there is a leak, would that cause there being a blue screen only sometimes on just cod2? ill try the ram thing tomorrow morning, thanks. ill let you know what happens.

#13 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:01 AM

Yes a leak could happen at any time really. It doesn't even have to happen when the memory is almost full. it could be like halfway or lower. Another good thing to do is to download memtest. It will test the memory for you. Pretty much if it tells you that something is wrong or your computer freezes or bluescreens, then there is something wrong with your memory. But try the way I told you first, that is the easiest way of doing it. At least in my opinion. Let me know what happens.

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

i did memtest. foud 0 errors after 130% of testing. ill do the ram thing tomorrow morning since i have 2 sticks of ram. i gots ta sleep. thanks for helping capri.

#15 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

ok i tried each 512mb ram stick by itsself with cod2. i didnt get a blue screen after an hour of playing so i switched the ram, and i didnt get a blue screen after another hour of playing. so what does that mean? its not the ram but a motherboard problem? man im glad i have a gig bc a half gig makes loading times slow as sh*t.

ive been talking with some other people online. a few have recomended that yes it is a problem with one of my sticks of ram. but then thre would be a problem with all of my games. the fact that it isnt, it maybebe a problem in that i overclocked my card and cod2 isnt accepting this new speeds like my other games since cod2 is reletively new and more demanding. a few people said that its probably overheating and causing those problems. but i adjust my fan speeds before i load the game. and its always in the 75-79 celcius when in cod2. so it cant be overheating because i was told that anything under 90celcius is a decent temp even though in the 60s celcius is prefered to most people, 70s is common, 80s isnt bad for ingame, and 90s is getting bad but wont cause damage. someone else said hes 100% sure that the blue screen during a game with no error message is a problem with the compatibilty of my parts. he said my power supply, vid card, motherboard, or cpu most not support eachother. he said i could have an amd cpu with a ati card or motherboard then that screen would occur. but i know all my parts are compatible i bought a barebone in which the motherboard and powersupply came together for intel and then i bought an intel thats compatible with ati. and of course i bought an ati card. so....yeah

Edited by NC Derek, 19 December 2005 - 02:25 PM.

#16 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

Well it definately could be the fact that you overclocked your vid card. Did you set it back down to the right speed. The more I though about your problem it reminded me of a very similar problem i had. When i first got my 6800 I went out and bought half life 2. I installed it and began to play it. 15 minutes into the game, the screen would turn almost like a plaid color. The song or sounds that were playing in the game got stuck and started repeating just like yours did. I then had to restart my computer. I can't believe i didn't remember this. It was such a pain in the ass. Anyways I found out that it was the power supply after a couple hours of troubleshooting. The power supply wasn't getting enough power to my video card. Do you have to plug a four pin cable into your 9800? Or is it getting power from the motherboard? Anyways I am willing to bet that it is your power supply.

#17 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:10 PM

i have a 400watt power supply and there is a i think a 3 pin going to the card as well. why just one game tho, by the way i havnt had a proble sicne yest and i played cod2 quite a bit today, hopefully just switching the ram around maybe it wasnt in...but i dunno...could be powersupply or o/c it. ill play around with it out being overclocked.

#18 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

i don't think its memory leak. most of the new games spits out an error message when they are out of memory. memory leak hapens when a software allocates a piece of memory but forgets to dealloc after finishing with it. that way as the software repeats same operation it keeps allocating and not deallocating. increasing the software's memory size with each allocation, you finaly get out of memory problems.

my first guess is your power supply. either your power supply can't support your hardware (doesnt have enough power to run hardware or there is a problem with it),

or a power spike messed up the motherboard or chips or the bios setup. I would originaly say it is your graphics card, but you say it doesn't overheat or something.

#19 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

well my power supply is 400 watts that should be enough, my vid card is hot but its a decent temp. i overclocked my card, and in bios i have it on turbo performance and hyperthreading. those are the only htings ive changed.

#20 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

after googling around i found out you are not alone on that problem. it looks like a very frequent problem. must be something wrong with the game or game has conflicts with certain setups. some people seems to fixed it playing in dx7 mode. try dx7 mode, maybe it helps?

Edited by ghozy, 19 December 2005 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users