13 replies to this topic

#1 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

Ok i was wondering how to overclock.. is there like some tutorial or something or can someone explain to me how to like over clock processors... i was just wondering.. because i put in this new fan into my case and it cools it like mad.. and it blows like directly on my processor so i was thinking maybe i would oc it a little... but how i dont know.. so could someone give me like a tutorial on overclocking intel proccessors? plzkthx

#2 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

overclocking is like crack, untill you figure out that it helps nothing but benchmarks. css sure as f*ck dosent run right oc'ed. the only thing that might help game play is oc'ing the vid card! use "systool" if your vid card did not come with its own

#3 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

you dont need to overclock your processor. it wont give you any noticeable results unless you do multiple programming or video editing. but for games, music, and school work, going from 2.4 to 2.251 wont do sh*t. same with video cards. its just good for benchmarks. i overclcoekd my card, never set it on its overclocked speed, its only heats up, never does anything. its not noticable to the eye if it does 400,000 material laods a second or 430,000.....

#4 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

you dont need to overclock your processor. it wont give you any noticeable results unless you do multiple programming or video editing. but for games, music, and school work, going from 2.4 to 2.251 wont do sh*t. same with video cards. its just good for benchmarks. i overclcoekd my card, never set it on its overclocked speed, its only heats up, never does anything. its not noticable to the eye if it does 400,000 material laods a second or 430,000.....

thanks for saying the same thing that i did. you da man derek :dork:

#5 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

Overclocking makes a difference dont be dumb. My 3200+ is clocked as fast as a 3700+ My videocard is also flashed/overclocked. CPU stock is 2ghz mines at 2.5ghz. Stock my videocard is at 475gpu and 450 mem with 12 pipes. Its at 500/500 with 16 pipes. Compare the performance of a x800 with a 3200+ and then a x800xt pe with a 3700+ processor. BIG difference. Maybe get 15-20% more FPS in CSS. Not twice as many or anything but you get the point..... N00bs :tup:

#6 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

Overclocking makes a difference dont be dumb. My 3200+ is clocked as fast as a 3700+ My videocard is also flashed/overclocked. CPU stock is 2ghz mines at 2.5ghz. Stock my videocard is at 475gpu and 450 mem with 12 pipes. Its at 500/500 with 16 pipes. Compare the performance of a x800 with a 3200+ and then a x800xt pe with a 3700+ processor. BIG difference. Maybe get 15-20% more FPS in CSS. Not twice as many or anything but you get the point..... N00bs :tup:

a 3700+ runs at 2.2 not 2.5 noob

#7 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

x800 XT = 520 / 500 i think...

Overclocking only makes a difference if your sh*t doesnt burn up because your using stock cooling.

#8 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

x800 XT = 520 / 500 i think...

Overclocking only makes a difference if your sh*t doesnt burn up because your using stock cooling.

Different XT PEs have slightly diffetent clock speeds.....

Agreed with cooling. If you are a jackass and overclock the sh*t out of your CPU, you need to beef up your cooling system. Ive found out that your system runs too hot, it will probably become unstable as hell before it blows up/melts. It does make a difference if you build your system around overclocking as I did. If you overclock your Dell +100mhz you won't really be able to tell the difference is the only point I was trying to make.

4000+ 939 =2.4ghz
fx55 939 =2.6 ghz (Sorry Wyte I meant as fast as a 4000+fx55 divided by 2) :weee:

#9 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Make sure you have a good Heatsink and not just a good fan...as a fan w/o a heatsink...doesn't do much. The heatsink is in direct contact with the top of the CPU and it's made of a metal with high conductivity so that heat will naturally travel off of the CPU and into the heatsink. The fan on all new CPU's doesn't cool the CPU, it pulls heat off the heatsink to keep that cool.

Get this:

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

It'll do an in-windows overclock of your CPU. Don't go overkill, increase it slowly, in increments of 10 or so MHz each time. Test it, make sure it runs stable, then keep going (if you want). When I used to overclock I did it all through BIOS, pretty easy as well, but this is alot faster for test and go. You may have to increase the voltage to your CPU as well (which is where that fancy schmancy cooler of yours goes).

Just don't instantly overclock 800 MHz from stock or you will have one fried processor...

Remember, overclocking your CPU/video card, whatever voids the warranty, and believe me Intel or AMD will be able to tell the difference between a died of old age/flubbed up CPU and an overclocked CPU.

Edited by S.W.A.T. 2.0, 09 February 2006 - 07:01 PM.

#10 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

If you do it in windows it should be possible. Try Clock Gen

#11 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

Or you could flash the bios. :evil:

#12 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

you guys are funny. now everyone is a pro hehe.

#13 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

hehe thanks guys.. im kinda having second thoughts on overclocking my processor.. first i dont have a thermometer on it.. so i wont know how hot it is :/ and also if i fry my proccessor.. i sure won't be getting another comp any time soon.. so i'll kind wont be able to play for a LONG while.. so yeah.. :/ but thanks anyways.. maybe sometime later when i also get an uber fan/heatsink...

#14 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:33 AM

Better to play it safe if this is your only option for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users