23 replies to this topic

#1 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

So tax return time is coming soon and I'm thinking of picking up a 19" lcd monitor to replace my 19" crt. I just have a question for you guys that have one.

Native on almost all 19" lcds is 1280x1024. How do LCD monitors look when you don't use native resolutions (ex 1024 instead of the native 1280)? Should I spend the extra money for a widescreen?

Any thoughts on these?
Samsung 940b or the 960bf
Viewsonic VX924

#2 Yatzee_Squirrel

Yatzee_Squirrel

Kimber

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

i hve a 17 in lcd and have played around with the resolution on it some and it looked fine running on the 1024 resolution while just surfing the net but the 1280 does look much better imo

when i first tried to play counterstrike on it i did not change the resolution and the game ran like sh*t but after i put it on 1280 in the game it ran fine

personally i do not like the widscreen monitors very much but to each his own

you must have gotten a lot better tax return than i got :tired:

Edited by Yatzee_Squirrel, 10 March 2006 - 08:58 AM.

#3 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

Yeah well my tax return isn't that big.. but its big enough for me to pick up a monitor if I choose to. Yeah I just like to run my games at 1024.. I'm pretty sure CSS will run fine at 1280 but other games might not.

#4 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

LCD monitors don't look good at all in anything but the native resolution. I just got This like 3 days ago and LOVE it. Widescreen kicks ass. This is my first LCD and I'll never go back. I was thinking that i wanted something bigger, but a 20.x" widescreen is plenty big enough. Native is 1680x1050 but I still get 80-90 fps average in css with a x850xtpe.

Edited by ShLoNkY, 10 March 2006 - 09:19 AM.

#5 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

buy this, both jpizzack and i have one.

Dell Home has Dell 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen LCD for $396. Apply $35 Electronics And Accessories coupon from eBay to get it for $361, and use DPA to get 2% off for the final price of $354.

monitor
Monitor

Coupon
Coupon examples

dave
taken from www.slickdeals.net

#6 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

see the problem is that my machine isn't really a powerhouse and running a game at 1680x1050 might cripple it.. at least that is my concern.. i know a widescreen monitor would be cool for gaming though.. :1:

#7 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

I've heard that the Dell widescreens have a lot of problems though. A lot of people get bad ones right out of the box even though they are really nice monitors. Crank up your resolution up Lost and see what your framerate is. Mine didn't drop all that much.

#8 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

I play at 1280 on LCD. it is easier to aim on the far targets. my gfx card is NV 6800 GT and having no problem.

#9 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

yeah i may try upping the resolution some.. i'm pretty css will be fine.. more concerned about any other game i might pick up.. i have an x800xl and an amd 64 3500+ so it shouldn't be too bad.

so do i need a 4ms response time or would an 8ms one be fine? and yes I do know that not all companies seem to be reporting the response times as what they actually are.. case in point the viewsonic vx924.. it peaks at 30ms.. ugh

#10 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

yeah i may try upping the resolution some.. i'm pretty css will be fine.. more concerned about any other game i might pick up.. i have an x800xl and an amd 64 3500+ so it shouldn't be too bad.

so do i need a 4ms response time or would an 8ms one be fine? and yes I do know that not all companies seem to be reporting the response times as what they actually are.. case in point the viewsonic vx924.. it peaks at 30ms.. ugh

From what I've read 8ms response time should be plenty good enough. Mine says its 8ms and 16ms black to white. As you mentioned, many manufacturers rate their response times differently, and under different test variables. I think if you stick to a good manufacturer and get one of their newer models youll be fine. Your computer has slightly less horsepower than mine and I'd bet youd get around 70fps average at 16x10 with 2xAA which should be plenty for now.

p.s: Get the one I got and I guarentee you'll be very happy. :tup:

#11 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

Bleh can't find any place selling that monitor in canada.. :wtf:

#12 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

Bleh can't find any place selling that monitor in canada.. :wtf:

Newegg??

#13 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

doesn't look like they ship to canada.. and if they did.. shipping from ca to the opposite coast in canada would probably increase the cost by a lot..

#14 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

doesn't look like they ship to canada.. and if they did.. shipping from ca to the opposite coast in canada would probably increase the cost by a lot..

They don't. Only to US and Puerto Rico. That's really weird I could have sworn that they shipped to Canadia. Thats a bad move on their part. And as I write this post my gf tells me that she might be pregnant. :tdown: Jesus christ.....little shLoNkies running around=bad news.

#15 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

DOH

#16 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

Lost, TigerDirect.ca is a descent wholesaler, in canadia.

I bought an Acer 19" widescreen a few months ago. Widescreen is definitely nicer. The native resolution on mine is 1440 x 900. It seems to run nice at that res, and looks great.

#17 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

Yeah I've been looking at tigerdirect.. Costco too actually. Its just hard to make a choice from so many..

#18 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

Small update on this. I think I'll be going to Costco today to pick up a ViewSonic VX924 and see how that works out. They have a wicked return policy so if I don't like it, I can just take it back. Well hopefully they have one in stock anyways.

#19 Alpine

Alpine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

Well I can't really help you if you can't deal with newegg. :(

But that monitor looks good post back when you get it and tell us how it is.

#20 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

Ok, bit of a long story but I will spare you some of the details.

Went to get the Viewsonic. None in-store. Bummer. I want one now, go up the road to Futureshop (owned by Best Buy for you guys from south of the border).

Looked at a bunch of em.. Decided on a Samsung 930B (8ms g2g). Doh.. doesn't come with a DVI cable even though it supports DVI. Yay, go samsung. Changed it for a Samsung 960BF (4ms g2g). Its digital ONLY.. WOot. Ok, go home hook it up, easy as pie. Not overly keen on the fact that its white, but it was on sale and has already gone up $30 since I bought it.. guess the sale is over..

So I did a quick CSS try and some Quake.. Things look decent, but damn.. they look pretty washed out and to be honest, not that great. I tried playing around with some settings and that made things quite a bit better, but still not overly great. I guess I need to install the software that comes with the monitor.. hopefully that doesn't screw anything up. From what I understand though, that should make quite a difference.

I am gonna give this thing a couple good days of gaming and some tweaking before I give up on it. Right now, things seem good, but I need more if I'm going to shell out this kind of money to replace something that works fine. It has to be an upgrade..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users