Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:39 AM

1GB corasir memory 67$
Asus athlon 64bit mobo 59$
AMD 3700+ 212$
NEC DVD burner 39$
Cheap case w/psu 50$
160gb hd 76$

$500bucks

better than a dell but no lcd. I mean, your choice b/c for the lower end models sometimes the deals are just as good as making your own pc but DEFLY DONT EVER buy a gamer pc from dell or any pre-built.. But yeah just threwit together in 4min to see what you can get.

#22 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

A laptop is a really good idea, man. i didnt think of it, and i would definitely take you upon your advice; however, 600$ is pushing it a little. I would go for it, if i didnt need money for more things this summer. Thanks for a good idea though. I will probably go with dell. will cost me 389$. The only thing is that id have to get a 17" crt :tdown: and 256mb of ram, which ill update later on for her. But besides that, it will be a very decent computer for her. Besides, shell flip when i give it to her.. she doesnt know about it :dork:

yeah, you can't find a decent laptop for $400. :(

#23 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

1GB corasir memory 67$
Asus athlon 64bit mobo 59$
AMD 3700+ 212$
NEC DVD burner 39$
Cheap case w/psu 50$
160gb hd 76$

$500bucks

better than a dell but no lcd. I mean, your choice b/c for the lower end models sometimes the deals are just as good as making your own pc but DEFLY DONT EVER buy a gamer pc from dell or any pre-built.. But yeah just threwit together in 4min to see what you can get.

500$?? No, thats too much.

#24 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

yeah, you can't find a decent laptop for $400. :(

not true. black friday i picked up a toshiba laptop for 400 bucks and had a 40gig hd, centrino 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 15" lcd :tup:

#25 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Dimension B110 - Intel� Celeron� D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB)
Operating System - Genuine Windows� XP Home Edition
Memory - 512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
Keyboard and Mouse Bundles - Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
Monitors - 15 inch E156FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards - Integrated Intel� Extreme Graphics 2
Hard Drive - 160GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
Floppy Drive - 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Mouse - Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Network Interface - Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem - 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drive - Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound Card - Integrated 2.0 Channel Audio
Speakers - Dell A215 Speakers
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) - No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect� word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) - No Security Subscription
Hardware Warranty - 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Internet Access Service - 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Dell Digital Entertainment - Starter Entertainment Pack -Basic digital Music, Photo, and Casual Gaming
TOTAL:$539.00

Plus shipping and tax, comes out to 585$. However, if i do decide to go with it, i might just go to the store, so i wont have to pay for shipping.

That is probably the highest in price i can afford.

#26 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

not true. black friday i picked up a toshiba laptop for 400 bucks and had a 40gig hd, centrino 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 15" lcd :tup:

wow, that sounds geat. what is black friday anyway? :dork:

#27 Nagash

Nagash

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

Dude, its the time of year... :20:

Everyones bday is coming up. But this year dad is turning 40, which is a big date, so im gonna get him a good present. Gf's bday. I need a new computer... so a lot of things.. just need the money for it. :dork:

Your dad turning 40 sh*t I'm old enough to be your dad hehe and older than your dad hehe

#28 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

Your dad turning 40 sh*t I'm old enough to be your dad hehe and older than your dad hehe

I dont think id be the only one here. Im 19 though, not 12.

Edit: And, guys, stay on topic. Im trying to figure something out, i dont have the patience to read about black fridays or how old you are :D, which wont help me at all at the moment. :33:

Anyone know of places to look for pre-build sh*t?
I checked:
e-machines
dell
+
ebay... - however, you never know with that f*cker. :dork:

Edited by Aziz, 29 March 2006 - 11:35 AM.

#29 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

Try hp and/or Compaq.. they got some cheap stuff sometimes..

#30 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

get something with 512 ram, 1.6 processor, 40 gig harddirve unless she dl music? build it cheap online. like cyberopower, no vid card needed, jsut get the integrated one. even if you dont buy it form there, youll see what parts go with what and how much they wil lcost. they have good prices.

id also recomend going in to best buy. sometimes you can go to circuit city and really talk the guys down to discounts and giving you like 200 dollar rebates on a computer thats 600.

#31 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

I saw an intel laptop priced at $545 in best buy today(after $160 instant rebate)

#32 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

get something with 512 ram, 1.6 processor, 40 gig harddirve unless she dl music? build it cheap online. like cyberopower, no vid card needed, jsut get the integrated one. even if you dont buy it form there, youll see what parts go with what and how much they wil lcost. they have good prices.

id also recomend going in to best buy. sometimes you can go to circuit city and really talk the guys down to discounts and giving you like 200 dollar rebates on a computer thats 600.

That is something im going to do. No video and sound cards. Decent processor - not the top of the line or the the type that a gameboy has.. lol. 512mb of ram. She does download music.. but, hey, if she doesnt install anything besides AIM and microsoft word, then space shouldnt be needed THAT much. Even say she takes up 20gb of space with music - shell still be left with the other 20gb. So, 40 can do it. Thanks for reminding me of Cyberpower. I remember they had decent prices. The only expensive b*tch is the LCD!! :no: I dont want to get her a CRT :tdown:

If i still feel unsatisfied, ill go to one of the electronics stores, talk to some peps there, see what we can come up with. :perk:

I saw an intel laptop priced at $545 in best buy today(after $160 instant rebate)

That is not bad at all. I think shed be pleased with a laptop. The only thing is that shell have to take out and put back in the internet cable every time she goes somewhere... besides, i know she wont be as careful with it as you or i would. However, ill look into that as well. Thanks for the laptop idea. I wasnt even thinking of that. :tup:

#33 Nagash

Nagash

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

have you tried http://www.pricewatch.com/ ?

#34 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

have you tried http://www.pricewatch.com/ ?

Well, looking though it right now. And, f*ck!, does the LCD monitor screw everything up. I dont want to get her anything smaller than 17"... I mean, a basic intel Pentium 4 1.6Ghz with 256mb of ram 40GB HARD DRIVE; CD/RW DRIVE; 64MB VIDEO; 3D AUDIO; 10-100 LAN; ATX MIDTOWER; MS WINDOWS XP costs 325$. That is without the monitor, which, there, costs 300!! :tdown:

Im wondering whether it is really necessary to get 512mb of ram?!?! :?: I mean, she really doesnt do that much on the computer... plays her f*cking Free Cell :weee: listens to music, surfs the net, and chats online. PERIOD. What do you guys think? im not trying to be cheap.. i just dont know if ill have the money. If i had, id get her the best sh*t there - in basic comps, since she doesnt need anything better.

Does an intergraded sound card allow 2.1? 2 speakers and a sub? cuz i wanted to get her that shiznet.
Oh, plus, the cases SUCK at price watch... :malace:
Jesus, who would of thought that looking for an OK computer could be hard... lol.

Im trying to find a site where you have MORE OPTIONS.
First of all, dont forget, this computer goes to a female; therefore, shell wont be impressed by its specs, but by the way it looks. Consequently, the case needs to be more than a cardbox..

1.6-2 ghz intel processor
basic PS
she wont need any fans... besides the one there... its not shadows computer :cool:
256-512mb of ram (im leaning towards 256 - even though i wanna get her 512mb - but i can always upgrade it later)
17" LCD (f*ckers are expensive, wtf?) - ill prolly have to buy it separately on one of the comp sites.
dvd/cd-rw combo
40-60gb HD
Floppy (shell need that for school)
Good-looking case
Integraded video and sound (if sound allows a sub - i think it does? no? :?: )
Keyboard, mouse, and speakers ill get separately.

I have all the programs and sh*t... so thats not a problem - SAVING MONEY.. yay, thats the first :dork:

What do you think i should do? and, most importantly where? :peek:

CyberPower is too expensive... i wish i could go with it, but the base comp starts almost at 600$... :tdown:

#35 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Edit: Oh, holy sh*t.
Just got on the dell website, and now they have the 17" LCD included in price!! :weee: :weee:
WOW.

Pentium 4 2.8
512mb of ram
17" LCD
80gb HD
Keyboard n mouse
Floppy
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo
Integraded Advanced sound blaster audigy
speakers n woofer
and other sh*t.

It comes out to 754, then 100 off brings it to 654 and then a 130 mail in rebate! which brings it down to 520$! Free shipping! :weee:

I would of bought it right now... and just left it at mah house until her bday... but dont have the money :whatever: lol

#36 TheCincinnatiKid

TheCincinnatiKid

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

I have a Dell and my hard drive has already corrupted itself and my USB ports have self combusted. I have been on the phone a lot with Dell Customer Service and I have not been impressed. The best thing about a Dell is that if you do anything to it like throw it out the window they will replace it, but dont let them trick you. If you have software problems they will charge you $90 an hour to help you. Their coverage is only hardware.

Also Dell f*cked me when they said my condensed comp would be easily upgradable since they will continue to make better add-ons for condensed machines.

Well, about 6 months after I got my comp everyone switched to using PCI-E slots for their video cards and what not. Mine only has AGP. So Dell's upgrades for the condensed machine are for PCI-E slots. AKA.....They f*cked Me!

#37 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

I have a Dell and my hard drive has already corrupted itself and my USB ports have self combusted. I have been on the phone a lot with Dell Customer Service and I have not been impressed. The best thing about a Dell is that if you do anything to it like throw it out the window they will replace it, but dont let them trick you. If you have software problems they will charge you $90 an hour to help you. Their coverage is only hardware.

Also Dell f*cked me when they said my condensed comp would be easily upgradable since they will continue to make better add-ons for condensed machines.

Well, about 6 months after I got my comp everyone switched to using PCI-E slots for their video cards and what not. Mine only has AGP. So Dell's upgrades for the condensed machine are for PCI-E slots. AKA.....They f*cked Me!

Yeah, i hear you, man. I would never gotten a Dell for myself. But this is different. This computer wont be used for gaming or other crazy "adventures", so i think shell be fine. Im just hoping this deal will stay for at least another month, when i get my money.
Software? I deal with it myself, never called in anyone. Itll be much better than her current comp. Her comp is older than my dad :20:
She wont even need it upgraded for at least a couple years. :perk:

#38 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

I really dont get Dell.
One day they have free 512mb of ram and a 17"CRT. The other day theyll have 256mb of ram and 17" LCD. then theyll have 512mb ram and 17" LCD... go figure.. :tired:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users