• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sacky_hack

sacky_hack

Lurker

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

You guys have any tips on getting better, besides "keep playing, you'll get better." Mainly tips on which guns to use, or where to aim, general stuff like that.

#2 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

aim for the chest, once you're really comfortable doing that, start aiming for the head :tup:
Bots are pretty good meatshields to practise your aim on, I know I've done that from time to time.

Then find your favorite tactics on a map (office I'm guessing). Be sure to have a favorite on each team, I have several. Doesn't really matter if the regulars figure you out, if you're good enough you'll still get plenty of kills.
Alot of ppl in BoSS know exactly where I go every round, but the tactic is so effective I get at least 2 enemies when I do it.

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

aim for the chest, once you're really comfortable doing that, start aiming for the head :tup:
Bots are pretty good meatshields to practise your aim on, I know I've done that from time to time.

Then find your favorite tactics on a map (office I'm guessing). Be sure to have a favorite on each team, I have several. Doesn't really matter if the regulars figure you out, if you're good enough you'll still get plenty of kills.
Alot of ppl in BoSS know exactly where I go every round, but the tactic is so effective I get at least 2 enemies when I do it.

Yeah, I know where you go, you ledge camping basterd....

JUST KIDDING DON'T HURT ME!

But yeah, learn how each weapon works. AK is better to move a little shoot 2 shots, move just a little, shoot 2 shots, etc.

While an m4 is better at spray, where you can do 2-4 shots and move a little, or just keep moving and do 1-2 shots. Or just charge them spraying and praying.

Don't mindlessly chuck nades, wait till you pin someone behind a corner and then hit him with it.

Throw a smoke nade into crowded, or commonly traveled areas and stay low and look for movement through the smoke.

Shotgun are great weapons even at range. Because you have the advantage of shooting down a hall and moving out of fire without having to take much time aiming, because of the buckshot. But remember the autoshotty has significant damage drop off compared to the pump shotty.

The aug and sg255's zoomed in modes are good for range, but don't use it much besides that. As the zoomed in modes significantly reduce your rate of fire.

The mac 10 and TMP are decent SMGs as the have a very high rate of fire, and are great if you catch the enemy bunched up. (People here have seen me go on rampages with a mac 10.)

The m5 navey is a decent rate of fire, and somewhat accurate even when spraying gun. but has horrible damage unless you score a few headshots.

The p90 is a great rushing gun, but has horrible accuracy at range unless you learn how to use it. (Fluke.)

If your side is getting owned. Rush, it can turn a game around and catch the other team off guard.

#4 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

I started playing only a lil over a year ago.. maybe not even. And I've greatly improved my skills. Like most things sacky, getting some good practice and finding the sweetest mouse settings, resolution settings (makes a big difference for me), and like zek pointed out about the guns, you'll come into your own.

Other than that, no one can really tell you what to do, its one of those things you have to learn how to get better yourself on basically. The more you play, the more inherently better you'll get.. apparently gaara's the exception to this???

#5 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

If you die quick, go spec a good player. Watch what he does and try to figure out why. I learned so much from watching poke and other various players.

I know this may be a little hard but use your radar. If you are one of five guys left and like Sniperwulf is out there. Glance up at the radar. Try to make a note of where everyone is in postion to you. Then when you see him kill off two or three people glance back up and see who is gone. At least you will know where he is coming from and where he was.

I tend to use a lot of blood splatter and radar to figure out where people are or have been but that takes time . . . and even if you know where he is that doesn't mean you can kill him, but it is helpful.

#6 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

Pay attention to everything, especially in common camping spots. (My dad used to walk in when I played back home and look confused at why I knew to shoot people through boxes...) people always flag guns (especially M4's) and 99% of n00bs don't look where their shadows are (sometimes they're even through walls). Learn gun spray patterns like nobody's business (they often don't follow the crossheir too much) and don't play against bots. I play significantly worse after playing 1/2 of bots. I started playing mostly with the deagle just 'cause it was fun and a little harder (no spraying...) but before source I was a shotty wh*re and a mac10/TMP wh*re (back when nobody used them.. I'm cool like that..)
Best way to get better is to play with people that are a little better than you. Don't play somewhere where you're getting blown out of the water constantly (it just isn't fun), but avoid the n00bs: you'll just get used to their mistakes and either make them yourself or rely on them making them.

#7 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

Tip: When on CT on office theres always a few Ts at the end of longhall. Chuck a nade down long hall and rush in as fast as you can. The nade will make the Ts scurry down the hall towards office to get out of the way. As soon as they pop out you'll be right there blasting them.

#8 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

If you don't have a headset, get one. You can hear alot more with a headset.

#9 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

Tip: When on CT on office theres always a few Ts at the end of longhall. Chuck a nade down long hall and rush in as fast as you can. The nade will make the Ts scurry down the hall towards office to get out of the way. As soon as they pop out you'll be right there blasting them.

haha i love doing that :)

#10 adrian

adrian

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

If you don't have a headset, get one. You can hear alot more with a headset.

This is great advice :tup:

#11 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Run around with an AK, mouse button down, looking at the ground. if you aren't firing, you are reloading. Trigger down at all times ... key to victory.

:tup:

#12 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:53 PM

The aug and sg255's zoomed in modes are good for range, but don't use it much besides that. As the zoomed in modes significantly reduce your rate of fire.

About that, never ever use the zoomed mode unless you plan to kill your enemy in 1 hit. Not only is your rate of fire reduced, but so is your accuracy when shooting more than 1 bullet.
On the other hand, one of the most deadly sprays in the game is from the un-zoomed in SG 552 (not 225 lol). Just aim their chests and hold down mouse 1. pure h4x :tup: The same goes for galil, which btw is extremely accurate when tapping, like the AK.
Lastly, if you ever use the FAMAS (a.k.a Clarion) remember to always use teh burst fire!!!

Other than rifles, SMGs work well for medium range spraying (close range for TMP & Mac10).
Jumping while firing a pump shotgun will produce interesting results. Autoshottie for extreme close range mayhem.
Pistols; stay away from the 5-7 and dual berettas (elites), glock is useful to pop out when you run out of bullets, USP is very accurate if used w/o silencer, Deagle is teh pimpness, and P228 is even more accurate than deagle if shot correctly.
Knife; use only if undetected and you're behind the enemy ALWAYS right click on the back (195 dmg).

A good combination is when you have a long range accurate weapon and short range spray weapon. Deagle + Pump or Deagle + Mac 10 are some of my favorites. Inversely, SG228 + AK works nicely too.

#13 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

Lastly, if you ever use the FAMAS (a.k.a Clarion) remember to always use teh burst fire!!!

NOOO!!! never use the burst fire... it's crappy... maybe its good at a longer range.. but at close range burst sux... and the galil owns at short-medium range... at point blank its like the ownage, nothing can match it except the pump shotty... and burst slows your rate of fire like crazy.. so never use burst!!1!1!11!!! :30:

#14 Sacularky

Sacularky

Lurker

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Here of some of my office tactics. (I was looking for an excuse to waste 20 minutes of my life giving up my REALLY bad strategies which more often result in death than anything else)

Terrorist:

Rushing garage - When rushing, immediately jump on the ledges in the yard away from the direct line of fire of cts that run out. That way, you won't be killed or damaged by the grenades/spraying fire that comes out if they rush. THen, if that is clear, open the door and take quick glances, exposing only part of your body so any campers cant see you easily.

Camping Projector - Hide behind the big wall in the projector if you are last one left or holding projector alone. You will ALWAYS hear the sound from where the cts are coming from even if they walk the last little bit into the projector. That should allow you to almost always get the first shot if they come in if you have fast reflexes. Pick a good gun for spraying multiple enemies like galil because the cts tend to come in many at a time. You should kill many this way, but prolonged projector camping makes rounds boring for both sides and is bad.

Shooting out of Odd cracks in offices - Not really my strategy, saw clean use it many times. Find an angle to shoot out of the two entrances to the hostage office (back from side hall and front from garage window). Position yourself so that you are watching the crack, and then shoot out of it when enemies come. They will find it hard to hit you because you are in position, they are not. For added effect, throw a grenade out to kill some weakened cts.

Holding garage window - I can't do this, but try to get on those awnings on the far end of the yard, and then snipe the cts taking hostages out. Pick a skin that is black or blends in with the background, which should make it very hard for you to be seen. Ak or Sig 552 work best here. However, somebody will see the red text that appears on their HUD that indicates an enemy and could kill you. Most people fall for it though.

Counter-Terrorist

Entering Office - Always jump on those crates near the office window to snipe at t's rushing through main hall to garage. They will find it hard to return fire often. If you do not see any ts rushing, then move into the office very quickly, because there will be ts possibly rushing office. You will be at a good position to kill many of them easily. This strategy is hard to counter and can be used every round.

Holding Stairs - When you are holding the stairs, hide behind the huge pillar (dont crouch and view the yard) and wait until you hear t's approaching, then move into the bend of the stairs and wait for them to rush in. I've seen some very good players use this before. This strategy is also hard to counter, and even if they throw grenades.

If your team gets bogged down trying to get to long hall - Don't hang out in the hallway near the vending machines with the rest of your team. There will always be some suicidal rusher or grenade that will knock your health down, weakening you for later. Also, there will be the garage rush coming to gang rape you from behind soon also. Instead, either go into the stairwell or the office.

Rushing the T Spawn through Main Hall - This is very risky. Break the window that is at the end of main hall when you are still in the courtyard. Then throw a smoke to the end of the hallway. Then throw a HE grenade to discourage campers. Immediately then rush up the stairs, into main, bypassing the bathrooms, and directly into the T spawn area. Kill any suprised people you find, then eliminate all the long hall campers from behind. This is good for 5 kills easily, I once got 8 this way. However, people will soon pick up on it and start camping in the spawn, making it hard. There are also sometimes camping n00bs who only want to increase their ratio and camp at the door, also increasing the difficultly.

Good luck with your improvements, but these tatics are useless without the general strategies found in the rest of this thread. Also, like frag0holic said, try to use strategies that are hard to counter because even dumb people pick up on strategies fast, so a weak strategy will quickly be defeated. Some of the strategies I posted here could be countered tatically, but on the long term it would be strategically worthless for the enemy to devote all their time to countering one specific strategy. So just use 10 or 20 strategies to keep the enemy confused.

Done. I think i wrote more in this post than i did for my english essay. :tup:

Edited by Sacularky, 20 June 2006 - 09:53 PM.

#15 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Smoke Bluntz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

heres a good one...stick with one gun and master it...(ak, m4, mp5) also play with people that are way better than you...you will learn alot from them

That, and dl the map called concrete. It will really help your aiming reflexes. Also, use sv_cheats then impulse 101 to give yourself $16000 to keep practicing with one weapon. This is one reason why I am so good w/ the Aug, AK, Krieg, and deagle. :tup:

#16 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Smoke Bluntz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

this is prob the best tip you will EVER get....
www.l33th4x.com

Agreed.

#17 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

NOOO!!! never use the burst fire... it's crappy... maybe its good at a longer range.. but at close range burst sux... and the galil owns at short-medium range... at point blank its like the ownage, nothing can match it except the pump shotty... and burst slows your rate of fire like crazy.. so never use burst!!1!1!11!!!

The FAMAS is completely useless for anything but long range, any other automatic gun in the game, except maybe the UMP is better when close up. Burst fire means you can snipe moving targets with ease, since they can't avoid three bullets, one will always hit when you're aiming at their head.
Automatic mode is so inaccurate it's just sad.

#18 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:44 PM

The FAMAS is completely useless for anything but long range, any other automatic gun in the game, except maybe the UMP is better when close up. Burst fire means you can snipe moving targets with ease, since they can't avoid three bullets, one will always hit when you're aiming at their head.
Automatic mode is so inaccurate it's just sad.

Tell that to the poor saps that suffered my rampage of 70 kills and 28 deaths purely with a FAMAS on office.

#19 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

To expand a little on what said before about teh jump n pump tactic:

I like to think that I have this skill almost mastered. When you play me, you'll notice that I'm VERY hard to hit at close range. Although my aim sucks sometimes, jumping after shooting works really well.

Best way to use this tactic is to jump right at someone firing at you, not off to the side. The pump shotgun is VERY powerful at close rang and if you have sh*tty aim like myself, gives you more room for error. Jump right at someone then duck right when you hit their feet. You'll have one shot right before you jump and another the second you duck. Noobs will always shoot right over you when crouched right at their feet. Good players will most likely kill you unless you time it perfectly. Timing is everything with the pump shotty.

#20 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

Another good tactic is when you are by a wall, side step left and right and give shorts bursts when you are in the open. Do this quick and fast for this to work effectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users