38 replies to this topic

#1 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

hey guys i need a router for my gf who just moved in to her new house. im not buying it, im just helping since they dont know sh*t about computerse. no i dont know much either.

they need a router that will use ethernet for the desktop since it doesnt have a card, and would connect ethernet to the cable modem of course. so ethernet from the desktop to the router, and then wireless for her lap top and her dads lap top in the house, which both have wireless cards. but the desk top doesnt. so i need a cheap router that can use atleast 1 ethernet plus modem connection and atleast 2 wireless connections, preferably from bestbuy. if someone could post some links bc i dont know sh*t about routers, that would be very helpful. thanks.

#2 hurley41

hurley41

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

i'm only 15 so i dont know that much too but i have a router the companys name is LINKSYS an you can hook up to 4 computers on it, and you just connect your dsl or broawdban connection to it, and it is wirerless and you can get your laptops on to it to, you just have to program it, and your, MINT! i hope this helps, i probally have no clue what i'm talking about though !?!?!?!?!? -benji-

#3 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:46 PM

Linksys WRT54G is pretty standard. Most revisions of it you can install linux on, too. :D
Should be <$50. I've had loads of D-links and set up many linksys routers for other people. I prefer the linksys ones.

#4 monsterWorkAccount

monsterWorkAccount

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:45 AM

Most revisions of it you can install linux on, too.

lol. Install linux on your router.....

Anyways, Derek:

All wireless routers have ports for wired connections nowadays. Just look at the specs.

You probably don't need the fastest wireless connection, but if you do, there are a few standards out there (I'm not up to date with all of them, but):

Wireless B
Wireless G (Faster)
Some other ones that are faster than your internet connection could possibly be.

There are a ton of brands out there, I've had Linksys (Cisco) and D-Link, both have been excellent.

Go to bestbuy.com and wait for the $10 wireless routers to come on sale (about once a month).

#5 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Linksys WRT54G is pretty standard. Most revisions of it you can install linux on, too. :D
Should be <$50. I've had loads of D-links and set up many linksys routers for other people. I prefer the linksys ones.

Don't get the wrt54g. That router is a flaming piece of sh*t. They are on version 6 now, but the good ones ended with version 4. Upgrading the firmware on them is f*cking retarded process now. You used to be able to do it through an ethernet cable, but now you have to make your own cable and connect it to your computer and the router (and it still may not work). Wtf make your own cable. Anyways versions 5 and 6 also have problems disconnecting for no reason at all. My suggestion would be getting either a netgear or a d-link. I have a netgear and it hasn't disconnected since i bought it. Which was 3 weeks ago.

Edited by kidcapri, 11 July 2006 - 10:06 AM.

#6 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:15 AM

alright thanks guys. i dont need the fastest, its for my gf's house, they dont dl anything or game. but they do have cable. so ill browse around on bestbuy. i myself have a linskys router, but its not wireless and is about 5 years old. thanks for the help ill check each one of those out.

new question - now, since everyone in her family, like most, are computer retarded, how hard will it be to install this router. will it just be some basic set up cd on the main computer with the modem and then the other 2 lap tops will automatically detect the wireless router, and you can then set that as the primary connection in network properties? am i right? or is there more IP crap to deal with like i had to for xbox live to get going?

question 2 - so all or most wireless routers around 50-70 will have a few ethernet ports too on them?

thanks in advance.

Edited by NC Derek, 11 July 2006 - 10:18 AM.

#7 monsterWorkAccount

monsterWorkAccount

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:37 AM

how hard will it be to install this router.

1. Plug the router into the power socket
2. Plug the cable modem ethernet cable into the "WAN" port on the router.
3. Plug an ethernet cable into a wired port on router, then to desktop PC
4. Depending on manufacturer (read manual), go to "192.168.0.1" (or something like that) in web browser.
5. Enable wireless, other options (ip ranges, etc), and security settings (WAP is not great, but it works for most people, if you really want to have a secure wireless network then you must filter mac addresses)
6. Set network settings for each pc to get dynamic IP from DNS 192.168.0.1 (or ip of your router)

so all or most wireless routers around 50-70 will have a few ethernet ports too on them

It is VERY rare (impossible?) to find a wireless router that doesn't have at least 1 (usually 4 or more) wired ports.

#8 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

4. Depending on manufacturer (read manual), go to "192.168.0.1" (or something like that) in web browser.
5. Enable wireless, other options (ip ranges, etc), and security settings (WAP is not great, but it works for most people, if you really want to have a secure wireless network then you must filter mac addresses)
6. Set network settings for each pc to get dynamic IP from DNS 192.168.0.1 (or ip of your router)
It is VERY rare (impossible?) to find a wireless router that doesn't have at least 1 (usually 4 or more) wired ports.

alright thanks, i have a feeling ill be installing it for them and didnt want to look like an idiot

#9 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

yeah.. but for linksys its 192.168.1.1

#10 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

If their laptops support it, definitely go WPA not WEP for encryption. Except for the initialization vulnerablility it takes significantly longer to crack.

#11 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

yeah.. but for linksys its 192.168.1.1

am i doing these options for the desktop pc that will use ethernet, or for the laptops that use wireless, or both?

and are all of these options under that ip i type into the browser? or some under network connections/ options?

#12 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

most routers comes with a installation cd. that will set most of the configuration for you. Follow the instructions in the manual and on screen for the installation.

you should just make sure client computers are configured to work with DHCP. which is in XP:
Right click on the network connection-> Properties-> select TCP/IP from list and click Properties. Then make sure "Obtain IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server automatically" is selected.

Edited by ghozy, 11 July 2006 - 11:26 AM.

#13 monsterWorkAccount

monsterWorkAccount

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

Well, both.

You see, each pc must have the network settings set up to connect to the router.

The router must be setup to know things like security, wireless, etc.

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

alright ill give it a try over the next few days when they get it, ill let you know if i have any problems. thanks for the detailed help. :perk:

#15 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

You can also hook the router up and go to www.routerlogin.com. It does the same thing as entering 192.168.1.1.

#16 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

You can also hook the router up and go to www.routerlogin.com. It does the same thing as entering 192.168.1.1.

That's if it's netgear.. because i typed that in and it took me to the netgear website...

#17 monsterWorkAccount

monsterWorkAccount

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

That's if it's netgear.. because i typed that in and it took me to the netgear website...

PWNED

#18 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

When I had a Linksys router, I would use that to access the setup page. The same page you get when typing 192.168.1.1. With a router connected to your network routerlogin.com and 192.168.1.1 both default to router setup. Just like 192.168.1.1 is the address for all routers. Now your computer might be gimp (or mine), but it worked for me.

Pwnt

#19 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

don't know.. i tried routerlogin.com, www.routerlogin.com, and just routerlogin.... keeps taking me to some netgear page... maybe your computer has to be directly connected to the router... i have my computers hooked up to a gigabit switch because my home network is gigabit, and that switch is hooked up to the router which is hooked up to my modem... but i doubt that makes a difference, because im pretty sure thats not how it works...

#20 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

maybe that domain stated is in capri's local HOSTS file. because it brings me netgear site too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users