23 replies to this topic

#1 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

So I don't know if you guys might have some suggestions as to what to replace to fix this weird problem I'm having.

I went away last week and shut my computer down while I was away. I've done this for a weekend too and same results. Now when I get back and try to turn on my computer, it will turn on and shut off again before the Bios even posts most times. So I keep turning it on after it shuts off and sometimes it gets further into the startup process, maybe the Bios might actually post, but it dies after that. Well essentially, if I keep doing this (on the order of 30-40 times) and eventually it will boot up. Generally it will work all the way through once it decides to work. Sometimes it will get to the point of changing video modes to display the logon screen and then die.

So, given this.. I am possibly thinking the power supply, but, once the computer is up and running it keeps running fine without trouble. I can even reboot it and it works fine.. It almost needs to warm up or something. I could be hearing things, but its almost like an audible sound is coming from the CPU whenever its actually doing something. So either motherboard or power supply, possibly CPU is what I'm thinking. I don't really want to replace all of them at this point. I'm poor, but I could replace them all if absolutely necessary. Of course replacing the motherboard is a bit of work.. Anyways, any suggestions for what to do to fix this would be appreciated. I've never had a computer do this to me before.. :hate:

#2 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

I had a similar issue with my Vapochill, except it would just beep and not start at all, the PSU, Mobo, etc were all fine, seems it was the Case from what i seen.

But I could be wrong, but I would totally unplug everything and see, cause if it was ur PSU, then ur rails wud be all jumping and not stable at all..

the only rail on mine that even budges a slight bit is my v12+, So i dunno, But definately checkout stuff like that, and maybe do a Bios update, could just be bad coding...?

Hope this helps.

#3 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

So you mean unplug things like vid card, sound card, hard drives and such? The beep is when the Bios is posting I think, sometimes I don't even get that..

I'm not sure how long I have to leave it off for this to happen.. overnight seems to be sufficient, but its most likely less time than that.

I will look into the bios update as well. Last time I checked there were no updates..

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

hmm, no not the videocard, etc, But make sure those cables and devices are seated properly on your MoBo, unplug the PSU power from the wall, etc, leave it off for like 1 min, plug it back in, and see if it worked...

in your case when u turn ur comp off unplug it and goto sleep, try in the morning i guess....

oh and disable SmartFan, etc in ur bios, that sh*t messes stuff up, especially temp readings and causes boot stops to prevent overheating, that could do it imo....

#5 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

Cool, I will give some of those things a try. I've already had most of the cables on and off, except for a couple.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Well, its Either the Case, the Motherboard, or the CPU, I doubt its the CPU unless your thermalpaste wore off and its running on direct contact with the HSF, Possible, But unlikely cause once ur running, ur fine, same with HDD, no issues there, maybe Ram or PSU

when you start up and it does that sh*t, on ur mobo, is the green light on? if not, PSU.

#7 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

The power light comes on for the case when I turn it on, but then the power just dies. I do have another cooler on my CPU, but yeah once its up and running it will run for weeks without problem. The problem only occurs after it has been shut down for a while.

#8 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

Case or PSU then I guess.

#9 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

You think a short in the case or something? I mean the case does next to nothing other than hold the PSU and the power/reset switches.. It is a pretty cheap case though..

#10 monsterWorkAccount

monsterWorkAccount

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:35 PM

I've had this issue tonnes of times before.

It's always been a Power Supply problem.

My computer wouldn't boot when my new Graphics card was installed, after new power supply, things worked great.

#11 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Bad power supplies can cause a computer not to turn on at all. They can also cause the problems your having and many more.

Another thing to check for would be some bad capacitors.

READ THIS!!!!!

Its a wikipedia article on bad capacitors. Check your motherboard for them. Bad capacitors can cause your system to: reboot out of nowhere, post then reboot, not post at all, post then shut down, cause parts not to work correctly, etc.

Hope you figure it out man.

Edit: HERE is a sight with better pics of bad capacitors. Check for bulging capacitors and top leaks. Those two happen most often.

Edited by kidcapri, 30 August 2006 - 03:14 PM.

#12 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

Good find kidcapri. The motherboard caps all look ok from what I can see with a flashlight. I don't feel like taking apart the PSU right now though.. :perk:

#13 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Lol never take the psu apart, they still hold energy... unless you want to be zapped by like 600watts... if so then do it and tape yourself doing it so we can all see! :1:

#14 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

Aw, where is your sense of adventure Novahawk? :1:

#15 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Have you replaced the PSU yet? I have had a bunch of customers come through the door with this problem, and almost always the PSU is to blame. I a couple of times it was due to a fried MB.

#16 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

Yeah I am looking at possibly buying a whole new case at this point. Hopefully its not the motherboard.. cause I know I can't just replace that without upgrading some and money for that isn't really on hand at this point..

#17 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

don't get a new case for a new PSU. just get a good PSU instead. the only cases I have ever seen ship with anything other than garbage in them are Antecs, and even then it's usually their budget line.

#18 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

I was pretty impressed with the Thermaltake case I got for my HTPC.. the power supply in that was pretty cheap and quiet too. Its also a thermaltake PSU, but I did buy it separately.

#19 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

as long as you aren't OCing a lot, thermaltake PSUs are OK. I've had decent luck with them. They have high fail rates when overvolting, though. :(
I <3 my Enermax PSU, though. Found it in a dumpster still new in box. :D

#20 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

Ok I'm off to go dumpster diving looking for PSU's.. haha.. I don't overclock so its all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users