17 replies to this topic

#1 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

So i come home like a normally do, i turn on my computer as soon as i walk in my room, then i usally go up and get a drink. Come down and log in. But today was diffrent, for satan had raped my computer wheile i was gone, i came down a looked in horror at my computer.... Blue Screen of Death. As i dropped to my knees weeping for my computers pain, i relized "Hey this is the first time it happned, i'll re-boot and everything will be fine". Wrong wrong wrong, Blue screen of death again. The pain.
I need some help, Stat. Im running of a DreamLinux cd i burned a couple days ago. Its nice, but i dont want to make any commitments.

#2 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

BSoD on Windows XP? That's a first for me.

The worst I've seen is "*.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Check for any sh*tware and do a disk scan/defragment, make sure your drivers are ok and you're not overheating, and last but not least hope one of your pieces of hardware isn't f*cked.

#3 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

Take everything out that you dont really need. PCI cards, extra ram (only use 1 stick in #1 slot), extra HDDs, CD drives etc, then try and reboot. Trial and error. Also try clearing CMOS.

Take 1 thing out and reboot, then do it untill everything is out. Probably either a hardware conflict, bad memory, or something overheated and is not broke.

Good luck......

#4 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

If it was hardware, how could linux run?
I dont wanna take everything out. I cant START windows, normally where the Loading menu is, it Blue Screens. If it was a hardware error, could the linux Live disk still run.

#5 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

i dont know much but maybe download a diagnostic program or something. burn it and run it. or whoever you use it.

#6 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

I've gotten random BSOD's in XP too. When I turn my printer off for example (LOL). Never have I been unable to boot windows because of a blue screen thogh.. I would probably try to reinstall it, that's what the problem seems to be, from what you have told us.

#7 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

Well im put agaisnt a wall right now, I dont have a Windows Xp disk on me and my grandpa (Who has a copy) works till 11pm, Well linux will have to do for the weekend. Its not a Bad OS, its just complicated to use.

Edited by XxInColdBloodxX, 11 October 2006 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Mr. Sticks

Mr. Sticks

Spam Master General

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

Ouch, man. I've never heard of a BSOD on an XP, either. Hope you get it fixed soon. Why did you get a Linux OS anyway if it's more complicated to use?

#9 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

Well i learned the command to install things its not complicated once you learn it.
It's a very costimizable OS, and i love the layout.
Its the fact not enough people use linux so people who use linux dont get some of the good software that comes with windows.
thanks to Codewarriors linux gets some program, windows based programs and stuff, but they re-wrote stuff to make it usable on linux.
I recomend trying linux, if you have ever been intrested, they ship the free CD's and you can always download/burn the ISO.
Not trying to force anyone to.
I will have windows by tommarow, since my step-dad gets back and he's got his computer that has 2 hardrive, i will take one out and put it in since it has windows on it already, instead of getting a new disk and reformating and all that other crap.

#10 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

I need some more information from you. Did you recently change any hardware or software on the comp? Also, was the BSOD just sitting there on the screen so you could read all the info in it, or did it just flash on the screen and restart. When does the BSOD occur? During bootup, running a program? I have some more questions but just let me know that stuff and well go from there

#11 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

It sat there, its a little late i threw linux on, luckly it didnt re-format to my suprise. but im getting another hardrive tommarow and will have windows on it.

#12 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

try running windows from the cd? yeah defly dont reformat if you have valuable info. u can always install an OS ona diff HD, save ur sh*t somewhere then reformat. if you're like me and have 6 harddrives its not a hard thing2 do.

#13 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:08 AM

Bluescreen's on XP are more common then you folks think, and thats a fact, generally, its more Software then hardware, such as a f*cked up driver, I/O conflict or Overclocking instability.

Generally, its drivers... but most BSOD's are specific, if you type in the exact error number they display... Such as one I had a while back, and google the sh*t, you can usually get a general idea of what the problem is.

mine was 0x000000XX whereas XX being the specific fault, or generalized 0x021423 type numbers are more memory based then anything, but none the less, Google that sh*t, or if your Really lucky, look at the bottom of the BSOD and read the DRIVER.SYS that it says, then simply uninstall or google bluescreen's that resolve around that specific system resource.

Hope this helped you understand.

#14 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:05 AM

If it was hardware, how could linux run?
I dont wanna take everything out. I cant START windows, normally where the Loading menu is, it Blue Screens. If it was a hardware error, could the linux Live disk still run.

Linux could still run. If it was a hardware error due to a driver conflict or some sh*t, Windows uses completely different drivers than Linuz, obviously..........

And whoever said "A BSOD on windows?? Ive never heard of that" is a dumbass :tup:

#15 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

Bluescreen's on XP are more common then you folks think, and thats a fact, generally, its more Software then hardware, such as a f*cked up driver, I/O conflict or Overclocking instability.

Generally, its drivers... but most BSOD's are specific, if you type in the exact error number they display... Such as one I had a while back, and google the sh*t, you can usually get a general idea of what the problem is.

mine was 0x000000XX whereas XX being the specific fault, or generalized 0x021423 type numbers are more memory based then anything, but none the less, Google that sh*t, or if your Really lucky, look at the bottom of the BSOD and read the DRIVER.SYS that it says, then simply uninstall or google bluescreen's that resolve around that specific system resource.

Hope this helped you understand.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I do when I get blue screens. A while ago, my HTPC started blue screening like crazy. It was a diffrent error each time, so It was hard to pinpoint what was wrong. All the researching I did lead to memory errors, but the memory was fine. It ended up being a bad memory slot on the motherboard. For now, I just moved the memory to the other 2 slots, but I really should RMA the board and get a new one.

#16 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Well, Thanks for all your help, but im getting the new hardrive today or tommarow, i couldent google the error becuse as soon as it go to the windows loading screen, it Blue Screen me.

#17 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

Well, Thanks for all your help, but im getting the new hardrive today or tommarow, i couldent google the error becuse as soon as it go to the windows loading screen, it Blue Screen me.

Write it down and check it on another comp dude.

#18 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:52 PM

I cant, i dont have windows on this computer anymore :kill:
Its rollin' Linux for the time being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users