#1 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

whattup fools!
ok so im thinking abt getting a bigass external HD (or at least gettign my dad to get me one :tup: ). Cuz with all the movies, music, tv shows etc. I have, it really puts a beating on my HD. I been looking around online, and ive seen these Mybook ones that WD makes
Click here for sw33t HD pr0n
they seem to be cheaper than the rest, WD isnt too bad imo, and it DOES look kinda baddass.
Anyone heard anythings good or bad abt em?

#2 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

Well it certainly looks good. The reviews on it are all very positive too.

#3 pusadolfo

pusadolfo

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

a friend of mine just got one of those, so far no problems with it, and i haven't read anything bad about it

#4 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

the only negative thing ive read abt it, and I dont necessarily think its bad, is that the unitpowers upand turns offwith the PC. But if thats a problem to someone, justdont hook it up when your not using it?

Oh, also...im not a hardware geek really so i dont know the difference, but it says taht the drive comes formatted FAT32, and alot of ppl reformat NTFS. What is the difference? and if i do need to change it, how do I go abt doing so?

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

NTFS has several improvements over FAT such as improved support for metadata and the use of advanced data structures to improve performance, reliability and disk space utilization plus additional extensions such as security access control lists and file system journaling

But I recommend getting a 500gb internal drive from NewEgg, it has plenty of space for a normal gamer's media.

External drives suck unless you're transferring data between different PCs or using them as backup. Because even though the drive stays powered on, the HD itself turns off, which means if you need to access a file on the drive again, you have to wait about 5-10 seconds for it to turn back on.

#6 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

aye...i gotcha. It basically is for storage. And from what ive researched, newer improvement have been made to make it possible to stream media off this drive without issues. So basically I should be able to watch my movies off it w/o problems.

#7 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

and its USB, Don't get USB, find one that is a FireWire 800 if your looking for storage, USB is so f*cking slow.

#8 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

110mbps isnt good? ok. i thought that speed for a 2.0 wasnt bad. im sure i cant tell the difference lol

#9 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

you rarely get that high of speed on a standard transfer, its a bottleneck to say the least, Firewire aka 1394a or 1394b is far superior when it comes to a stable but faster Environment.

I had a USB 2.0 only Drive before, and it was slow as dirt, very unreliable to even Download stuff to it.

#10 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

I have a USB external 250GB drive I got from Dell Days of Deals for super cheap. Its pretty good.. I mean it will take a 700 meg movie in less than 20 seconds.. How fast do you really need it?

#11 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

The WD external hard drives are good for taking the actual drive out and replacing it with a broken one then taking it back to wal-mart (they are too stupid to notice anything). Other than that, I am not a fan of huge ass external hard drives. If you need to store data and that is it, just get another internal.

#12 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:55 PM

Very true. Unless you have a good reason to bring your hard drive somewhere and not your comp, you might as well get an internal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users