29 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ok...so as you may or may not know, my PC sucks. It was never meant for gaming and is horrible. I can't stand choosing between unplayble framerates or horrible graphics. My current PC is a:

2.6GHz Pentium 4 without HT or SSE3
nVidia FX5500 PCi (Not PCI-e. Standard PCi, and it's a DirectX 8 card)
1GB of PC3200 DDR-RAM (2x512mb)
80GB+120GB 7200RPM Hard drives ATA/100
400w HP Branded PSU
Some sh*tty mobo with no AGP or PCIe slots
Windows XP Home

So as you can see...I want to gauge my eyes out rather than continue playing games on this.

So I am getting:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2 Proc (Ironic that this slower-clocked processor performs better, eh Intel)
ATi Radeon x1650PRO gpu
ASUS nForce4 mobo
Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.GB/Sec hd
G.SKILL 1GB DDR2 800 RAM
COOLER MASTER ATx Case w/ window
APEVIA 500w 20+4 Pin PSU
Windows XP Professional

It comes to 554.95 and even though it isn't is good as most of your PCs, it is a significant upgrade for me and the best budget build I could put together.

I would really like input/suggestions and if you can find a part that's cheaper/the same price that's better, please tell me.

Edited by Chris82, 03 December 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#2 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:46 PM

First, the psu that comes with that case is a POS. It will die within a year, almost guaranteed. If you want, keep the case, and get a decent psu, its so worth it because you are going to have to spend the money anyway. 350-400W should do it. ATX 2.0 is a must. Antec, Enermax, and Seasonic all make nice psu's. You may think that a cheap psu is fine, but this is not a part to cheap out on, its one of the most important parts in a PC.

Second, that motherboard is nice, you probably dont need a SLI motherboard considering you like ATI, but its always a good upgrade option later on. I would suggest this motherboard from DFI with the Nforce 4 Ultra chipset. Its cheaper, and has 2 pci-e x16 slots so you can do SLI with a little modding(ive done it with my board, really simple, Ill give you more info if you want). Also, its one of the best cheap overclocking boards for AM2 around. Linkage

That WD hard drive is nice, but I like the new Seagate 7200.10 series with Perpendicular recording. They are reallly fast, almost as fast as my 10k rpm WD raptor. The 320gb Seagate is cheaper than that 320gb WD, and its a better drive. They also have a 250gb drive as well thats the same thing just smaller and cheaper. Linkage

The ram is fine, but get 2 sticks of 512mb for Dual Channel. There is a huge diffrence between one stick and 2. The only reason you wouldnt get 2 sticks is if you plan on upgrading to 2gb in the future. 1gb is fine though. G.Skill rocks btw. heres a nice dual channel kit Linkage

The proc is great, single core FTL, but its socket AM2 so you can grab a dual core in the future. (the dual core is only $50 more, if that, so maybe a little more now will pay off later)

You really cant ask for much more for $90 on a video card, it will do what you want. Heres where you want to focus your money though, rather than a nice case or a fast processor.

You are right that build will give you a significant upgrade, but if you switch out these things, it will be that much better. Any questions...feel free to ask.

#3 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148139
for HD. it's faster, bigger, and cheaper (also I hate WD because I've had about 15 fail on me vs 1 seagate)

Since you're trying to save $$ and don't want a Core2 machine (I'd save up another month and get one, personally, but you seem to have had it with intel due to your p4. :p), at least try a different case/PSU. I wouldn't trust a shiny new system to a crappy power supply that came with a cheap case. Also it worries me that on Newegg that case didn't receive 1 5* rating. Usually someone decides it's the best thing since sliced bread..

vid card should kick the crap out of your current, so I really can't complain. :D
I'm an nVidia fan myself, but to each his own.

Mem: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227116
cheaper after rebate, better timings and better brand
Unfortunately it has a hideous heat spreader.. (IMO)

*edit*
Looks like I was beat on most points. :D
+1 vote for Seasonic and Enermax
-1 vote for Antec (had a bunch fail 3-4)
I don't really know AM2 Mobos, but DFI and Asus (and Giga-byte) are both/all fabulous. :D

Edited by medel, 03 December 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

btw that x1600 card is a steaming pile of dog sh*t. Read some reviews.

Also, it's not ironic that the AMD proc runs at lower clock speeds but equal performance, it's science.

Edited by monster, 03 December 2006 - 04:10 PM.

#5 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

btw that x1600 card is a steaming pile of dog sh*t. Read some reviews.

Kid loves his ATI. He'll get over it eventually.

#6 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

Well I meant that it's ironic that I'm going to see such an increase in performance with a processor clocked 200mhz slower.

But thanks for the suggestions guys. I realize that most case psus are horrible, so I'll be getting another one afterwards. I need 500w, as when I upgrade to a dual core processor and an ATi x1900, I'll really need it.

I will be getting another 1GB stick soon Drizzle, because as Shadow said "2GB is where it's at" but it's a money issue, thanks though. But no thanks on that memory medel, $10 isn't worth all of the rape you have to go through with rebates.

I will also get that hard drive you suggested, Drizzle, thank you. I can't get medel's because it's IDE and IDE sucks balls.

So as soon as I get more money after building this I'll get another 1GB stick and affter that I'll get the best PCI-e card I can find.

Oh and monster until you have played Source on my system, you don't know the meaning of a graphics card that is a steaming pile of dog sh*t. But I did see what you were saying about some of the cons so I got an x1650PRO which has a higher clock speed.

Edited by Chris82, 03 December 2006 - 04:41 PM.

#7 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I will also get that hard drive you suggested, Drizzle, thank you. I can't get medel's because it's IDE and IDE sucks balls.

Yes it does. I had meant to link the sata2 version and didn't realize they even made an IDE 7200.10.

#8 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

Yeah 2gb is where its at, I figured thats what you were doing. Get the new psu ASAP though, that should be the first upgrade you do to it before a dual core or more mem. :tup:

#9 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

lol at chris and his 'ironic' remark :20: ...and yea that card is pretty bad....but its better than nothing and you will have room for upgrading...even if the am2 is expected to have a short life....chriss, and about you ironic remark, what about the core2duos? yea w/e just messin with you.... :1:

#10 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

x800

Don't know about gecube, but you should look around a little more before you decide on that 1650 gpu.

#11 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:50 AM

Get some corsair ram or something, don't go off brand because after a while, when it f*cks up, you'll regret it.

#12 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

Go here for video card benchmarks. You can select two different cards and get the results of both of them at the same time or just go down the list and see how each card faired.

#13 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:15 PM

I have a G.skill 2gb PC4000 kit in my comp right now, runs 265mhz strong 24/7. Ive used G.Skill DDR2 kits(the one I linked to above) in other PC's and they are nice. They use the same chips any other company would use, I believe the chips in your set there are from Elpedia, and I just got some kingston DDR2 with Elpedia ships on them.

#14 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

If your stuck on amd(not as fast as the core 2 chips) I would suggest an AMD 939 chip.. they OC a lil better than the AM2, and you should be able to pick up some ddr 400 cas 2225 at a substantial discount to the 800 55515 .... I would also suggest looking for some parts on ebay since your intent is not the highest possible performance...

#15 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

Well, here is my gay-assed opinion which you already knew yourself. Buy the 2nd one ...

#16 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:46 PM

If your stuck on amd(not as fast as the core 2 chips) I would suggest an AMD 939 chip.. they OC a lil better than the AM2, and you should be able to pick up some ddr 400 cas 2225 at a substantial discount to the 800 55515 .... I would also suggest looking for some parts on ebay since your intent is not the highest possible performance...

Err...I'm not stuck on AMD. Even I could could lay down the cash for Intel's sh*tty core duos, I wouldn't.

And socket 939 is dying, which is why I'm buying AM2...

#17 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:57 AM

Err...I'm not stuck on AMD. Even I could could lay down the cash for Intel's sh*tty core duos, I wouldn't.

I'd like to see what you've been reading that says Core2's are sh*tty and AM2 is dominating it.. last I checked (which is every day at least 30 times (rather an AMD fanboy here) ) Core2's are kind of wiping their "sh*tty" asses with A64's... Just get a Gigabyte DS3 and a 6300 or 6400. :D

#18 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

by the time AMD releases its new chip in summer.. expect a new socket...AM2 is worthless...

#19 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

actually from what ive heard, even the quad cores are gonna be AM2... unless their using the new opteron socket for it

#20 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

yeah what just about everyone else said. I have seen PSU's of that quality actually surge the boards and create a bunch of bubbled up and blown caps. I wouldn't put that thing in any system, unless I wanna rma both my psu and my board. In fact once I had an RMA rejected on an ASUS mobo because they claimed use of an inferior power supply.

As far as 2 gigs is concerned, wait for Vista. If XP had a clue with how to use 2 gigs of ram it'd be worth it. There's a good article on this at THG ... too lazy to look for it right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users