24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

Alright, so it looks like I'm going to change my build slightly.

AMD 4000+ S939 2.4GHz Processor
Asus S939 PCi-e mobo
ATi x1650Pro Gamer Edition
Western Digital 250GB Sata3 HD
RAIDMAX Case with fans, window, etc...
APEVIA 500w psu
Thermaltake CPU Fan
Arctic Silver 5 CPU Compound

I will be using this guide as I have never built a PC before.

Soon after I will get:
This mouse
This keyboard and
This monitor.

I also have some questions about this sh*t though...

1. Can I install the regular version of Windows XP Professional and still run 64-bit apps like Half-Life 2, or do I need Windows Professional x64?
2. Since that hard drive is OEM, do I need to buy screws, racks, etc...or does that sh*t come with the case?

Also, as before, find something better at the same price or cheaper, let me know. (Please no IDE hard drives, memory, etc...

Edited by Chris82, 18 December 2006 - 05:03 PM.

#2 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

Socket 939 is dying. It will be hard to find processors soon. There isnt anything wrong with socket AM2. DDR2 isnt great but its not worse than DDR. I personally wouldnt build a new socket 939 system right now. Also, an OEM processor only has a 90 day warranty. I like the piece of mind a retail proc brings, with a 3 year warranty. Even if you dont use the fan, the warranty is better.

I like the seagate 7200.10 series better than that WD. They are just as fast as my 10k rpm raptor. The price isnt much diffrent either. Longer warranty as well.

I wouldnt put that PSU in a system I built, it dosent seem up to par to me. When choosing a PSU, wattage isnt everything. Its about the amps on the 12v rail(s). Do yourself a favor and dont skimp on this.

That CPU fan prob wont do too much better than a stock heatsink. Get a Zalman or Thermalright. The stock opteron heatpipe cooler is great too(I have one here I can part with). Do you plan on overclocking? If not, just use the stock cooler.

The motherboard link dosent work. Asus makes nice ones, but it depends on the board you picked out. Also, What memory are you putting in?

EDIT: I like this monitor better. Link My friend has one, and its nice. Widescreen FTW.

Edited by Drizzle4535, 18 December 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

Socket 939 is dying. It will be hard to find processors soon. There isnt anything wrong with socket AM2. DDR2 isnt great but its not worse than DDR. I personally wouldnt build a new socket 939 system right now. Also, an OEM processor only has a 90 day warranty. I like the piece of mind a retail proc brings, with a 3 year warranty. Even if you dont use the fan, the warranty is better.

I like the seagate 7200.10 series better than that WD. They are just as fast as my 10k rpm raptor. The price isnt much diffrent either. Longer warranty as well.

I wouldnt put that PSU in a system I built, it dosent seem up to par to me. When choosing a PSU, wattage isnt everything. Its about the amps on the 12v rail(s). Do yourself a favor and dont skimp on this.

That CPU fan prob wont do too much better than a stock heatsink. Get a Zalman or Thermalright. The stock opteron heatpipe cooler is great too(I have one here I can part with). Do you plan on overclocking? If not, just use the stock cooler.

The motherboard link dosent work. Asus makes nice ones, but it depends on the board you picked out. Also, What memory are you putting in?

1. I'm not buying into the whole "AMD releasing a new slot every 6 months" thing. sh*t ain't happening.

2. I'd rather buy a cheaper OEM processor that's faster.

3. What's wrong with the PSU and CPU fan? Find me a better PSU for under $50 and a better fan for under $40.

4. RAM

EDIT: Nice monitor suggestion though, I'll be sure to pick that up instead.

Edited by Chris82, 18 December 2006 - 05:50 PM.

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

get a 256bit GPU plz.... 128 is very bad

#5 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

wats wrong with the fan/heatsink you link to? no point to getting it. If your gona get an aftermarket heatsink get a zalman or something else, aslong as its better than the one you link to.

get a 256bit GPU plz.... 128 is very bad

Agreed.

....and fix the link to the mobo, k thnx.

#6 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

It will be hard to find processors soon..

are you kidding? do you know how easy it is to find a socket 478, or athlon xp, or even p3 for that matter??

plus, the psu has +12V1@16A, +12V2@18A which aint really that bad esp for what he's running. the bottomline is chris is trying to build an inexpensive pc that will be decent for his gaming. like mentioned before, i'd get a different graphics card.. otherwise i dont think its a bad build.

#7 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

Awesome.

Soz...

The only problem is that the x1600 had a clock speed of 600mhz. So you're telling me this 500mhz x1800 with 256-bit memory will outperform the former card?

#8 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

Awesome.

Soz...

The only problem is that the x1600 had a clock speed of 600mhz. So you're telling me this 500mhz x1800 with 256-bit memory will outperform the former card?

YES

#9 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

Ok, that video card looks secksy enough, I'll get it.

I have another question about it though...

The VIVO port? It looks kind of live S-video and the card comes with a componentHD-to-VIVO converter. Does this mean I can plug, say, my Xbox 360 into this converter into the video card and play it through the computer monitor in HD? Because if so, that's awesome.

And my other two noob questions:

1.Can I install the regular version of Windows XP Professional and still run 64-bit apps like Half-Life 2, or do I need Windows Professional x64?
2. Since that hard drive is OEM, do I need to buy screws, racks, etc...or does that sh*t come with the case?

#10 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:54 PM

It is component video out only, not in. It takes svideo and composite in though with Vivo.

You need a 64bit OS to run a 64 bit program.

Cases will come with all the screws/standoffs necessary usually. Make sure the motherboard you buy comes with all the cables for your hard drives and whatnot.

#11 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:02 PM

Alright, so it looks like I'm going to change my build slightly.

AMD 4000+ S939 2.4GHz Processor
Asus S939 PCi-e mobo
ATi x1650Pro Gamer Edition
Western Digital 250GB Sata3 HD
RAIDMAX Case with fans, window, etc...
APEVIA 500w psu
Thermaltake CPU Fan
Arctic Silver 5 CPU Compound
I will be using this guide as I have never built a PC before.

Soon after I will get:
This mouse
This keyboard and
This monitor.

I also have some questions about this sh*t though...

1. Can I install the regular version of Windows XP Professional and still run 64-bit apps like Half-Life 2, or do I need Windows Professional x64?

Also, as before, find something better at the same price or cheaper, let me know. (Please no IDE hard drives, memory, etc...

That case is ugly... remember, a case and power supply are not places to be cheap...

x1600 series is a pile of sh*t

Seagate 7200.10's are the best sata drives

Drizzle is a clown, s939 will not be dead next month, don't worry about it

Have fun building it kid!

#12 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

might as well go with
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103596
if you want a single core 939 and skip the thermaltake POS. Having lived for a semester with a venus 12 in my room, i would NEVER recommend it. Cools like sh*t, sounds like sh*t. stock AMD is better.

I'm just randomly assuming that the asus board is an A8N-SLI Deluxe or similar. If so +1

I also vote the 7200.10 320GB seagate. It's just a better drive for ~$10 more. bigger and faster and I've had so many WDs fail on me and friends (aka how I know it's not just me. :D)

I trust PSUs I've found in the hardware trash at school more than I'd trust that one, but you seem to want something insanely cheap.. I don't really have many suggestions for you..

The best I can say is pay with paypal at the egg and use promo code PAYPALFREE. Gets you free shipping or $20 off shipping, forget which, either way it's nice and you can use it to get a better PSU (Enermax or Seasonic FTW). :D

#13 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Ok...so...

This is the mobo.

I'll also get this case instead and this psu. Oh yeah and this CPU fan

So...an AMD 4000+ 64-bit proc @ 2.4
Asus mobo
x1800 card
1GB of DDR-RAM
250GB Hard Drive
500w psu
Thermaltake/Arctic cooling

As long as I can run Source games on all high with good FPS and BF2 on reasonable settings, I'm fine.

Edited by Chris82, 19 December 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#14 SoB

SoB

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

good mobo...even though its old its very good

#15 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

Alright, so I calculated the total cost (not including RAM for various reasons) to be $474 not including shipping either, because:

1. That discount code medel gave me
2. Some items I have are free shipping
3. Newegg gives discounts on shipping for items bought at the same time.

Though quick question, if I get that 2.2GHz Opt. I can save some money off of getting the 4000+ with the cooler and whatnot.

So, can I just get the Opt retail and be better off?

#16 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

make sure that opty doesnt require ECC ram or your fucked and price will double on ram...

#17 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Well Wikipedia says that the 90nm Opteron only requires ECC Ram for the socket 940 model...soz I should be good.

Oh and BTW there are no mobos on NewEgg that list Opterons as supported processors, so can I use the Asus one?

EDIT: Ok, f*ck it, I'll just get the A64 4000+. Has twice as fast HyperTransport and runs faster, whatever.

Edited by Chris82, 19 December 2006 - 06:52 PM.

#18 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

I am running a socket 939 opteron in my board right now. If you look on asus's website, find your board and you can see what CPU's it supports. The opteron 148 is totally supported. No socket 939 boards require ECC or Registered ram. Normal DDR ram works fine. s939 opterons were deisgned not to have to use that stuff. The opteron is a better deal, as it comes with a nice CPU cooler and a 3 year warranty. There are only 2 speeds for Hypertransport as well. 1600mhz or 2000mhz. It says 1000mhz but its DDR, so its 2000mhz.

#19 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

On the ASUS website that mobo's listing doesn't say Opteron, it says Athlon 64 and Athlon 64FX.

Whatever, if you can find me proof that the mobo I'm getting supports Optys, then I'll get it.

But I still don't see what's wrong with the CPU fan five or so posts up.

#20 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

For Air, get a Zalman imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users