• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

Wow, finally someone without a stupid comment.

In the event of an "OS Drive" failure, I can successfully reinstall XP in 17 minutes and get my PC back to exactly how it is now in about 2 hours.

- I run around $3,000 worth of software on this beast, so a failure costs quite a bit, plus I need access to my direct data. I have around 10 programs I use daily, that are on pretty much 24/7.

My setup would be a complete waste of money for a gamer only.

When you're looking at the business world, real world performance is what you have to look at (like shlonky brought up). The raid 0+1 for the raptors are fine, but raid 1 would be all I need. Since I am using 4 drives, raid 0+1 is a better option. The data is both striped and mirrored.

EDIT: If you backup important data all the time I'd definetly build a cheap file server.

- All of our server backups fit on my 500gb drive, that's mainly what I would want a dedicated file server for. This is also a 2nd backup step, I already have onsite and offsite backups too. But you're right, I should put it in a file server. Once I need more space, it is something I plan to do. In the mean time, this seems to be the best setup for the price.

Edited by Iceman, 22 December 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#22 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

More often than not, adding more fans impedes airflow by causing turbulence. I'd rather move a lot of air slowly in one side of my case and then out the other then have a million turbo fans swirling hot air around inside my case.

Adding 2 fans in the rear will only do you good if you make your intake (fan at the front) more powerful/bigger.

Intake volume should be larger than the exhaust volume. Almost every case design fails to do this. If you dont do that, alls you are doing is pulling hot air over your components.

Oh yeah fan size doesnt mean shit either other than the fact that larger fan = lower rpm/cfm = less noise.

EDIT: One thing that I would reccomend is to get some of those 3" to 5 1/4" drive adapters and throw some of those HDDs upstairs. You are killin your airflow with those drives and those raptors get HOT. If you can thin it out in a way to have one drive width between drives for both drive bays would be ideal

#23 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

EDIT: One thing that I would reccomend is to get some of those 3" to 5 1/4" drive adapters and throw some of those HDDs upstairs. You are killin your airflow with those drives and those raptors get HOT. If you can thin it out in a way to have one drive width between drives for both drive bays would be ideal

- That's a good point, and a great idea. The raptors get pretty hot, unfortunately no programs can read the SMART data behind the onboard raid driver :(

Thanks for the tips, if you see anything else please let me know.

#24 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Theres a few with built in fans if you want, they work good too, for raptors and stuff...

#25 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the tips, if you see anything else please let me know.

are you using a raid controller card thingy?

#26 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:15 AM

I think it's pretty b*tchin. About everyone complaining about airflow, they don't seem to realize that all the wires are on the sides of the drives (happens to be visible) and thus are out of the way of air. It happens.

Another case that could fit all that is a CM stacker (my personal fav. :D) You'd get a 120mm for every 4 drives, too. As stated before, get some 3-4 converters for your 5 1/4" bays and move some of hte hotter drives up. Will help enormously. I haven't played with LiLi shock mounting, but a good one may even be quieter, too. If you don 't care about noise, get some high-pressure 80 mm fans for the back of hte case. They'll move air out better than any 120 due to their pressure differentials (aka the only reason to actually have 80mm)

Side note: Who was passing around the haterade here?

*edit* 2-3 lili HD kits http://www.performan...abff5c80a4e020a
3-4 lili HD kits http://www.performan...abff5c80a4e020a

^ probably your best bet. The CM ones really only work well in stackers..

Edited by medel, 23 December 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#27 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:39 AM

are you using a raid controller card thingy?

- I have a cheapo raid card that has the Silicon Image chipset, I'm only using it since my MB support 8 SATA drives, and I have 10.

Thx for the links to the kits. I had two of those in my kandalf case, they could really help airflow in this case.

I think I would go with one of these: http://www.performan...abff5c80a4e020a

I would want all 4 raptors to be in their own area.

The Stacker seemed to be better if I wanted a water cooled system (which I don't). I think the Lian Li has more of a business appeal to it than the stacker. Plus, the Lian Li has support for something like 20 hard drive bays lol... u never know :P

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated :) I really want to put those raptors in a cage for better cooling, those are the drives that I am most dependant on.

#28 TheHobo

TheHobo

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:36 AM

What? :huh: all i got is shadow and ice are egotistical...i think :dork:

#29 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

meh. +1

#30 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

Dont put the raptors by themselves. They run quite a bit hotter than your regular drives. Since you have a zillion drives, put a raptor on that drive bay, then a slower drive under it then another raptor. Try to isolate the raptors where theyll get the best airflow.

I once had 4 10k SCSI drives bolted right on top of one another like that and those fuckers got hot enough to burn you.

IMO since uptime (shit not fucking up) is critical to you I'd still build another box and get rid of a lot of those HDDS. Even though you have a bigass PSU, you are still stressing the shit out of it with that rig. Not to mention you are creating a ton of heat which could be solved easily by putting all your backup HDDs in another cheap box.

#31 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

all the guy wanted to do was show off his setup, what is with all the bashing. this is why ppl leave the forumes. gg

btw, im not talking about everyone.

Edited by wyte mafia, 23 December 2006 - 12:18 PM.

#32 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:02 PM

The CM ones are designed to fit in a stacker. I'm not 100% sure they'll fit in your Lili. I tossed mine to my friend because he neededmore space and he couldn't use the shock mounting part (the unit is a center square with two plates that fit into rubber grommets) and I can't remember if he could screw it in, but I do remember that the side plates were not used..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users