92 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

Alright guys, so here it is. I have accumliated a little under $500 and it's sitting next to me in a pile of checks and cash. I'm about to load the money onto my debit card and buy this sh*t on NewEgg. The final specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 4000+ 2.4GHz S939 Proc
Asus A8N-E Mobo
ATi Radeon x1800GTO PCiE graphics card
WD 250GB SATA3GB Hard Drive
ePower 500w dual12v psu
Sweet-lookin XION ATX case
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer Pro 64 cpu fan
Arctic Silver CPU Compound

I also have a 1GB (2x512) sticks of ram to use for it and until I get the MX518 and G15, I'll be using the faithful Dell keyboard and not-so-faithful Kensington mouse. I'll post more in this topic when the stuff arives, as I'm building, and when it's built!

#2 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

really cheaply made case but yeah, post some pics when you put it together mang.

#3 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

I still think Seagate > WD, but if that's what you want. :D

Should rock teh socks off of your old system! Enjoy it!

#4 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hell yeah it will, even if I got a f*cking 3200+ and an x800 instead it would still beat the sh*t outta my current setup, Jesus I can't believe I still have DirectX 8 and we're about to move to DirectX10.

Funny thing is in CS:S I can force my card to play in DX9 mode and the shaders are downright secksy but I get ~2fps.

#5 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

someone could correct me if im wrong as i still dont have this clear but....will a 20+4 psu work win a 24 pin socket mobo? btw, i dont think you will need 500w....get something of more quality with less wattege maybe....but the current one isnt to bad....other than that, good luck building it!

#6 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

someone could correct me if im wrong as i still dont have this clear but....will a 20+4 psu work win a 24 pin socket mobo? btw, i dont think you will need 500w....get something of more quality with less wattege maybe....but the current one isnt to bad....other than that, good luck building it!

Depends on the mobo, unfortunately. I don't want to say yes on his without using it personally :(

#7 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

20+4 = 24. It will work, the 2 parts connect together and fit into the motherboard. You can take out the extra 4 pins if you want to use it on an older style motherboard.

Chris, Seagate makes a better hard drive. Linkage +$5 for shipping, but they are just as fast as WD Raptor drives. Longer warranty too. Other than that, it should be ok.

#8 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

20+4 = 24. It will work, the 2 parts connect together and fit into the motherboard. You can take out the extra 4 pins if you want to use it on an older style motherboard.

Chris, Seagate makes a better hard drive. Linkage +$5 for shipping, but they are just as fast as WD Raptor drives. Longer warranty too. Other than that, it should be ok.

Well, yes, but a lot of older PSUs have a 20 pin and a 4 pin that don't attach (aka mine). It can be a hassle..

#9 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

I've had 1 Seagate fail on me for no reason and no WDs fail on me. f*ck Seagate.

#10 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Well, If it does fail, you have a longer warranty to replace it, but its not like you listen to anyones suggestions anyway so whatever.

#11 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

15+ WDs fail, 2 Maxtors, 1 Seagate for me. I'm not counting all the deathstars and fireballs that died in replayTVs.. f*ck WD. :D At least the Maxtors + Seagates were old when they died

#12 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

Well, If it does fail, you have a longer warranty to replace it, but its not like you listen to anyones suggestions anyway so whatever.

He listens to Shadow. :D

Also he switched to a freezer 'cause I'm so seksi. :p

That aside, everyone has their prejudices. Eventually he'll build enough to see what works in his systems and what doesn't. Until then he's got a few parts that he likes and he'll keep at em. Whatever works for him.

#13 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

hes just a kid, he'll learn. but the system is good anyways.

#14 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

I still think Seagate > WD, but if that's what you want. :D

- Based off of what?

WD has an additional 4 pin power connector for their SATA drives, something very nice. Have you dealt with their support at all? Much better than Seagate.

How come you don't go with a Conroe build? Might be worth the extra $$

#15 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

WD is very good, better then maxtor, I had a seagate 20gb drive, in 1998, and it never died, in fact, I still have it, and it STILL works, So either WD or Seagate for me, I've had more maxtor's die then any other drive.

#16 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

Some more comments now that I have some time...

The Seagate that was linked to earlier is a better buy. The .10 barracuda is a very good drive, and has numerous excellent reviews over the WD KS line.

Why a single core CPU? What's your total budget on this? What are your plans for the computer? Just a gaming machine?

The PSU you selected doesn't really have any reviews... I would highly suggest you ditch it.

CPU Cooler? What for? Are you trying to do a big OC? The one that ships standard with the CPU can handle quite a bit. If you need to OC it then that fan is a good choice.

- Just as fast? WTF. Benchmark tests show otherwise.

Another edit..

If you are going for gaming, check out the eVGA 7900 GS for $130: http://shop3.outpost...product/4977711

Edited by Iceman, 26 December 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#17 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

7200.10 drives are fast and good....but wtf would he even consider raptors....

edit: his budget is 500 as he says in the op

Edited by Mandraque, 26 December 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#18 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

Iceman, I know you try to be very helpful, but I find you saying that a stock CPU cooler is good, thats rofl-worthy, those things fuckin blow.

#19 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

If you seriously think that the stock coolers on a CPU are okay, then you're a f*cking idiot. They are god awful and loud as hell.

#20 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

"edit: his budget is 500 as he says in the op "
- When I read that, it sounded like it was what he got for Christmas, not his actual budget. Nowhere did he say it is limited to that money.

but I find you saying that a stock CPU cooler is good, thats rofl-worthy, those things f*ckin blow.

- Says the guy who thinks a larger hard drive is just as much as many smaller ones? lol

Go read some reviews on these CPUs, then come back and talk. Even a small OC on the stock cooler is fine. Think otherwise? Prove me wrong.

They are god awful and loud as hell.

- You won't hear it over his video card.

What kind of experience do you actually have building computers and in hardware?

Edited by Iceman, 26 December 2006 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users