92 replies to this topic

#21 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

The Seagate that was linked to earlier is a better buy. The .10 barracuda is a very good drive, and has numerous excellent reviews over the WD KS line.

Err...no it isn't. the Western Digital has over 900 reviews and 5 eggs, while the Seagate only has around 140 reviews and four eggs. And I don't trust Seagate because the last one I had was brand new, I went into control panel to see some properties of the drive and about three reboots later I couldn't get into Windows without BSoDing, formatting didn't help. I tried 10+ times to call support before I even got through and had to wait a month for a replacement drive. Besides the drives have the same interface/cache size/RPM/etc...so how is one or the other faster?

Why a single core CPU? What's your total budget on this? What are your plans for the computer? Just a gaming machine?

~$500, no effin way I'm getting dual core.

The PSU you selected doesn't really have any reviews... I would highly suggest you ditch it.

The guy who reviewed it gave it five eggs.

CPU Cooler? What for? Are you trying to do a big OC? The one that ships standard with the CPU can handle quite a bit. If you need to OC it then that fan is a good choice.

Check again guy, the processor is OEM and not retail meaning it includes no fans or heatsinks.

#22 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Man Step the fuck off, Seriously, your like .5 inches from the x, hit the X and BOOM, banned.

#23 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

- You won't hear it over his video card.

What kind of experience do you actually have building computers and in hardware?

No, you won't hear it over a video card if you keep the stock cooler on that too. The ATI and NVidia card coolers suck ass too. They burn out very quickly and they're loud.

And I've been the last 3 computers I own, including the one I'm using right now. I have plenty of experience with cooling and noise. Stock coolers are cheaply made to cut costs, they are loud and ineffective.

You f*cking kike. You told him he doesn't need a 3rd party cooler when you have one on your PC. Way to hypocrite.

#24 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Err...no it isn't. the Western Digital has over 900 reviews and 5 eggs, while the Seagate only has around 140 reviews and four eggs

- It sounds like you are pretty new to building a system, so a great tip for you is to not weigh much on the newegg reviews. You will want to look at actual benchmarks to prove what is and isn't better. For example: http://www.anandtech...a...i=2803&p=10

This review actually shows that the .10 is better than the WD KS line (like I said earlier). A Google search will show more reviews.

The guy who reviewed it gave it five eggs.

- See above...

Check again guy, the processor is OEM and not retail meaning it includes no fans or heatsinks.

- Ah ok, I didn't see OEM in the title of your link. If you plan to OC, that's fine, just keep in mind OEM CPUs have a 1yr warranty only.

The ATI and NVidia card coolers suck ass too. They burn out very quickly and they're loud.

- SAPPHIRE uses a different cooler.... Does it look like he is planning to exchange the heatsink on his video card? You're one of the few people who can't handle the stock coolers. Go read some reviews and come back, you'll see the stock ones are fine for normal use.

Man Step the f*ck off, Seriously, your like .5 inches from the x, hit the X and BOOM, banned.

- Upset that you were proved wrong with everything you said in my thread? Or that I still show why what you are saying isn't right? Stop posting wrong information.

#25 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

dude, banned.

#26 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

- SAPPHIRE uses a different cooler.... Does it look like he is planning to exchange the heatsink on his video card? You're one of the few people who can't handle the stock coolers. Go read some reviews and come back, you'll see the stock ones are fine for normal use.
- Upset that you were proved wrong with everything you said in my thread? Or that I still show why what you are saying isn't right? Stop posting wrong information.

Except that my information is completely correct. Stock coolers, CPU or otherwise, are cheaply made to cut costs. They are loud. They are not the best coolers you can get and they are in no way decent. Any half decent computer builder would replace the stock cooling, overclocked or not

sh*t man, there are people that use liquid f*cking nitrogen for their cooling systems because the colder the better.

#27 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

wow EMOTIONS.........this is a topic about building a fuking pc, which is already nearly completely done. Read the thread, post your opinion and thats it.......

chirs, any of the harddrives will work fine. 7200.10>7200.9 though, but its still your choice.

#28 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Sorry for being a jerk about the cpu cooler sh*t, the guy is buying OEM anyways, so it doesn't matter here.

Chris, your build will work fine. Check reviews, read benchmarks, etc.. for every piece of hardware you ever buy (newegg reviews usually are not that great at all, there is a TON of BS on their).

Personally, I buy and usually suggest WD drives all the time, but that doesn't mean they are going to be a better buy for you. Grab some model numbers, go to google and search for reviews/comparisons.

Make yourself comfortable with Anandtech and Storagereview, as well as Tomshardware, these places usually have the best reviews around. When you do pick out all of your hardware, check out pricegrabber.com for the best lists of pricing.

Edited by Iceman, 26 December 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#29 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

The AMD 4000+ is defiantly the way to go if your sticking with 939, and over clocks O.K. If your into that.
Im not to fond of that PSU brand, they die in my shop all the time. Just a warning, most buyers normally over look the PSU as a lesser important piece of hardware, I suggest saving a little more and grabbing a Sea Sonic or OCZ for real stability and reliability. As for the stock CPU cooler debate, I believe the stock HSF is fine if your not going to be doing any overclocking and you have some decent airflow in your case. The downside of the stock HSF, from what i've seen, turns your artic silver into concrete (sarcasm) and the aluminum fins dont transfer heat nearly as well.

Don't take any of this as a bash you chose good parts for a good price, and from what you say your upgrading from you will notice huge performance increase.

Edited by Janton, 27 December 2006 - 12:56 AM.

#30 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:21 AM

Besides the drives have the same interface/cache size/RPM/etc...so how is one or the other faster?

Just ignoring all the hate for a little bit. :D

the .10 seagates use perpendicular recording which allows the bits on the disk to be closer together (physically) which allows for faster read and fewer platters (fewer parts = greater MTBF). That's all. I'm in my personal vendetta against WD, but as Shadow said, he has had similarly bad luck with Maxtor (which is now Seagate's budget line).

While I would somewhat agree with iceman that lots of newegg ratings are garbage (especially when you read the comments and everyone suddenly has both a high experience level and also can't find out which way to plug it in.. /gag ) they are usually accurate to +- 1 "egg". They're really only useful to completely rule out things quickly, but are hard to use when comparing 2 items directly.

The only stock cooler that doesn't blow donkey balls is the heatpipe cooler from amd. :D It's ~= to a Thermalright XP-90. Unfortunately I forget the cutoff on which cpus get it and which get the extruded aluminum POS. Oh well. (I do know that opty 144's don't get it, nor do 3800X2s..)

#31 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:47 AM

Alright guys, so here it is. I have accumliated a little under $500 and it's sitting next to me in a pile of checks and cash. I'm about to load the money onto my debit card and buy this sh*t on NewEgg. The final specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 4000+ 2.4GHz S939 Proc
Asus A8N-E Mobo
ATi Radeon x1800GTO PCiE graphics card
WD 250GB SATA3GB Hard Drive
ePower 500w dual12v psu
Sweet-lookin XION ATX case
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer Pro 64 cpu fan
Arctic Silver CPU Compound

I also have a 1GB (2x512) sticks of ram to use for it and until I get the MX518 and G15, I'll be using the faithful Dell keyboard and not-so-faithful Kensington mouse. I'll post more in this topic when the stuff arives, as I'm building, and when it's built!

I don't think he even asked for opinions anyways. Let the damn boy learn for himself. Everyone has there own opinions. All of you mother f*ckers stop pushing your opinions and arguing over this sh*t.

#32 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

Hmm...everyone telling me to learn for myself. That doesn't sound like the psu will be too pleasant.

Very well.

What's $7 more?

#33 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

When picking out a PSU, you want to look for quality name, good reviews, and good amps on the 12v and 5v rails.

Even with a few upgrades, the 400watt Antec SmartPower will be an excellent PSU for your rig. If you plan to get a 2nd video card, and want to add quite a few more hard drives, you will need something with more amps on the 5v rail. Lots of hard drives will put a great deal of stress on the 5v rail if you have quite a few. 2-3 should be fine.

It is normally $60, but newegg has it on sale for $55 minus a $15 MIR, so it comes down to $40. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103935

#34 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

Iceman is completely correct, but I'll have to say that my store purchased about 20 of those same Rosewill power supply (except 400W) and not one has failed on us. But with those "lesser" known brands its always a good idea to jump to higher wattage, I believe Rosewill sells a 550W for only about 10 dollars more.

#35 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

I don't think he even asked for opinions anyways. Let the damn boy learn for himself. Everyone has there own opinions. All of you mother f*ckers stop pushing your opinions and arguing over this sh*t.

I'm sorry, you must not be used to geeky people. :D At my school people usually ask me for help, ignore me so that they don't "offend" some idiot friend who thinks they know something, then ask me for help again when their computer won't turn on. It's kind of fun that way. Usually the second time I suddenly have too much work to deal with them.. :D Eh, they're mostly f*ckers anyway.

That aside, I mostly just want to see pics. :D'

#36 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

Iceman is completely correct, but I'll have to say that my store purchased about 20 of those same Rosewill power supply (except 400W) and not one has failed on us. But with those "lesser" known brands its always a good idea to jump to higher wattage, I believe Rosewill sells a 550W for only about 10 dollars more.

For 50 bucks I would have shipped him a thermaltake 480w or if I was at school a 475w enermax noisetaker. lol

Rosewill can either be good, or horrible depending on the week. They're getting better than they used to be, but are still rebranded so you don't know exactly who you're buying. Rosewill = Newegg's home brand.

#37 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

i thought there were supposed to be pics? did i miss them?

#38 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:06 AM

i thought there were supposed to be pics? did i miss them?

I think they come when his packages do. :D (aka hopefully soon!)

#39 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Ooh I've got a package for you, big boy! :evilgrin:

But I just submitted the order, and it says it'll all ship on 1/1/2007, which pisses me off, now I have to wait until Wednesday because Newegg doesn't process on Saturdays!

Oh well, at least I can sit here and know that I can stop playing BF2 @ 15 fps soon...

#40 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

You expected them to ship on sat? I dont know of one online store that does. And to make you even more mad, it most likley wont ship on Jan 1 because UPS dosent ship that day. It most likley will ship in several packages depending on how big the items are and what warehouse they are coming from. Good luck, and make sure you take pics when you are done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users