69 replies to this topic

#21 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

the cheapest gt i could find was for 260...

just go for the gs, the xfx one, fukin sexy

#22 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Looks like you can save around $56 US (minus whatever shipping is) by buying in the US and having someone ship to you.

does upgrading the processor improve the gaming a lot or does upgrading graphic cards improve gaming more?

- You will see a huge difference in the video card. An AMD 3200+ paired with this 7900 GS card would run CSS like a beast.

but i can't decide from GS or GT..... GT seems to be just a little more expensive but ii still don't know how much better GT is than GS

- The GS is the best bang for the buck right now. You need to look at the benchmarks (linked to them earlier) and then compare their performance with the price.

Let's say card X is 5 fps faster than card Y, but card X costs another $100 over card Y. Card Y would be the better buy.

Edited by Iceman, 27 December 2006 - 03:53 PM.

#23 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

Looks like you can save around $56 US (minus whatever shipping is) by buying in the US and having someone ship to you.

*cough*tax*cough*.....it does cost more for a reason you know...

#24 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

But how much more? I thought the Canadian taxes and extra charges are applied during shipping...?

#25 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

ummm i dunno about shipping+tax and sh*t but in ontario, the tax is like 14% so if u buy somethingn at a dollarstore its $1.14....
i guess nVIDIA 7900 GS is the way to go... and save money :D

#26 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

my mistake could be in guessing that the cards are made in the us, since we do have the cheapest prices. If they are, you have to pay international taxes to take them to canada. Therefore, thats why they cost more in canadian tigerdirect.

#27 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:03 PM

not really, they are just a generation behind. I have a 6600gt with gddr3 and frequencies of 600/1100......cheap and still gives me 60+ fps in css. But yea dont go for geforce6 generation cards....or w/e you call them, 6 series...blah.....digress

I think he meant numbers lower than 6200 like the 6100 and 6150..

#28 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

i found one at futureshop.ca
its the BFG nVIDIA 7900 GS OC..... what the hell does that OC mean?!?!?!??!?!
http://www.futuresho...amp;catid=10524
and the price is frggin high
friggin +$300.........

Edited by Hoon, 27 December 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#29 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

i found one at futureshop.ca
its the BFG nVIDIA 7900 GS OC..... what the hell does that OC mean?!?!?!??!?!
http://www.futuresho...amp;catid=10524
and the price is frggin high
friggin +$300.........

OC means overclocked like turbocache, don't touch it. Also it's BFG which is junk. Buy TV's from futureshop. Buy computer parts from a computer store...

#30 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

Also it's BFG which is junk.

- Have any references here? BFG seems to be about the best mfc around.

Lifetime warranty, free toll-free tech support, how is this junk?

#31 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

- Have any references here? BFG seems to be about the best mfc around.

Lifetime warranty, free toll-free tech support, how is this junk?

you wanna keep sending them back go ahead. I have sold hundreds of them and I had to stop because I could barely handle the RMA work that came with them. Easily a 10% failure rate in the first year. I switched to ASUS cards and all my troubles were gone. If you wanna prove me wrong I suggest you open your own computer store, sell them exlusively and see how happy you are after a year.

#32 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

Ok, so you base it 100% on personal experience?

Sorry, but people need to look at more than just what happened to 1 person. I could buy 100 WD hard drives, and have all fail. That doesn't mean Seagate is better.

Edited by Iceman, 27 December 2006 - 04:27 PM.

#33 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

OC means overclocked like turbocache, don't touch it. Also it's BFG which is junk. Buy TV's from futureshop. Buy computer parts from a computer store...

Turbocache = steals system memory for video, doesn't it? I thought it had 0 to do with clockspeed..

Sorry, but people need to look at more than just what happened to 1 person. I could buy 100 WD hard drives, and have all fail. That doesn't mean Seagate is better.

No, it means WD sucks. That's what poops is saying. If you think that this situation where you having 100 WD drives all fail somehow doesn't mar WD's image, then you're nuts.

*edit*
Asus recently has been crippling their cards so they perform under similar cards from other companies. :( They used to be faster, too. PNY is one of my favorites because they're basic and last forever. Still have lifetime warranty. I keep seeing them in graphics workstations over and over again and now I know why.

I've had fantastic luck with BFG cards, but I guess I would listen to Poops if he's had horrible trouble with them.

Edited by medel, 27 December 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#34 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

Well that's for you to decide then.

There's a reason why nobody compares ASUS to BFG cards lol.

Please, do a Google search on BFG before you listen to anyone here who says they make crap cards.

There are other reasons you could have a bad wave of cards, which in no way reflects actual performance. Maybe poop should have changed suppliers? Maybe he needs to get betting shipping, there are a lot of reasons that could cause a wave of bad cards.

If you're the only one seeing the issues, chances are something is wrong with what you are doing.

Edited by Iceman, 27 December 2006 - 04:34 PM.

#35 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

Turbocache = steals system memory for video, doesn't it? I thought it had 0 to do with clockspeed..

ha medel i need to write more better. I am saying don't buy either of them. And you are right. The issue I find with the OC cards is mostly heat related. The issue I have with turbocache is it just plain blows, and was a dumbf*ck idea in the firstplace. Your system mem is not made to do that kinda sh*t and turbocache should be renamed BSODcache

#36 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

You people are getting away from the point.

The 7900GS and 7900GT (big) difference is the extra four pipes that the GT has, as well as a smaller close increase. Unless you get the 7900GS by XFX which is 600/1600

I wouldn't recommend the x1800gto, price to performance wise it isn't as good as the cards stated above. If your an ATI fan, stick with the x1650xt, it's clock is decent and the pipelines with there own PPP perform like a cheaper x19xx card. I know for a fact that with a 3800+ 1 Gig of RAM and an x1650xt could run CS:S at max settings and keep a solid 75+ FPS.

Final Word.
Get the x1650xt if your budget is tight
Go with the 7900GS by XFX (600/1600) if money isn't that big of an issue.

#37 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

woaoh.... this is waht happens when i leave the topic for like 2 hrs and come back..
all the fighting and arguing...
first of all...... i would LISTEN Poops... he has his own friggin comp shop so yeah.. don't mess with him
and money is a bit of an issue....
how much does x1650xt run and what about 7900GS by XFX....

ty for all of who replied

Edited by Hoon, 27 December 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#38 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

how much does x1650xt run and what about 7900GS by XFX....

holy modafukin sh*t! did you ignore my post? did you ignore it like many times? get the xfx 7900 gs, its modafukin sexy and peforms well......edit for the link

xfx 7900 gs

Edited by Mandraque, 27 December 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#39 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

That XFX card is better than the BFG because of the warranty terms. You can sell the card to someone else and the warranty carries over. Also, you can OC it and it will still be covered :)

Poop, do you have anything at all that shows BFG makes crap cards?

BFG and XFX have lifetime warranty and toll free support. What does ASUS have?

People, please do a search before you think BFG is crap. If they made crap cards, they would have a warranty like ASUS. They wouldn't be able to return so many cards and still make a profit. Don't take my word for it, so ask around, visit gaming/video card forums, see what other people think about it.

Some references:
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2873
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2835
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2825
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2695
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2636

Edited by Iceman, 27 December 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#40 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

holy modafukin sh*t! did you ignore my post? did you ignore it like many times? get the xfx 7900 gs, its modafukin sexy and peforms well......edit for the link

xfx 7900 gs

+1

Sweet ass card. I have several eVGA cards, and none have died on me yet. I havent had any other experiences with other brands, but I would buy that card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users