38 replies to this topic

#21 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

one of the most stable PSU's I've ever owned was an AeroCool, check that company out, Each time they make a new PSU its more improved then the last one.

#22 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

Yes yes, I love aero cool, modular is the way to go no matter what. Their 600WATT has 3 12v rails and we have always used them in customers "gaming" machines because no customer likes to see a bunch of cords.

#23 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

I`ve acctualy gone and done some research about this and for those who want to buy a 8800 GTX yous going to have to buy a 1 killawatt power supply for it to work. It acctualy says it on the NVIDIA site so unfortunately the one who said a 650 will work it won`t. Just my two cents...

#24 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

I`ve acctualy gone and done some research about this and for those who want to buy a 8800 GTX yous going to have to buy a 1 killawatt power supply for it to work. It acctualy says it on the NVIDIA site so unfortunately the one who said a 650 will work it won`t. Just my two cents...

- That's bullsh*t... Let's see a reference.

#25 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

WoW!

Actually depending on which version of the 8800 you get, you could use a psu ranging from 400 to 450.

Now vvolfenstein, gtfo. kk

Edit: You may be thinking of an sli configuration. Then you would need an 850 watt psu.

Edited by kidcapri, 10 January 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#26 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

A 650 should more than do the trick for a single card. They arent THAT power hungry. SLI, yeah you will need something with some power in it. Remember with PSU's its not the wattage that matters so much, its the amps, espeically the 12v.

I have a DC pump, 4 drives, oc'ed opty, oc'ed 7900GT, all sorts of fans and other crap and my 600 is more than enough. BTW, my whole setup at full load, monitor, speakers everything on my power strip will take 300W. Im really glad I dont pay the power bill.

Edited by The Drizzle, 10 January 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#27 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Yeah actually it says that 450 is required for the card.. not a 1000... but i'll probably be getting around a 600...

And another question lol...

For RAM, is DDR2 800 significantly better then DDR2 667?? is it really worth paying an extra $100+??

#28 SoB

SoB

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

Yeah actually it says that 450 is required for the card.. not a 1000... but i'll probably be getting around a 600...

And another question lol...

For RAM, is DDR2 800 significantly better then DDR2 667?? is it really worth paying an extra $100+??

yes

#29 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:14 AM

yes

- Really? What kind of benefit is he going to see with that extra $100 he put into it? Have any links for benchmarks and what not?

#30 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

DDR2800 is faster than DDR2667. How do I know? Because, if I'm not mistaken, the higher the number, the higher the speed. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 400mhz faster than 333.5mhz? Now I believe in this non stop, action packed world we live in, faster is in fact better. So before you go making another reply to someone else's opinions with "Really? What kind of benefit is he going to see with that extra $100 he put into it? Have any links for benchmarks and what not?" Because what Sob said, is not an opinion. DDR2800 is better than DDR2667. Need some benchmarks to keep you happy? http://www.legitrevi...com/content.php. There, that sight, every article since about 2005 uses DDR 400/DDR2 800. Not 333/667. If your going from DDR400 (or less) and your jumping to a GOOD DDR2 machine then you want to see a nominal increase in performance, not just a slight jump to 667 from 400. If I spend a couple thousand building a system I want to see a f*cking DOUBLE in performance on everything. This guy is getting an 8800GTX and a Conroe. He better pair some damn good RAM with that so he has some f*cking bragging rights. Iceman, I think you need to stop posting like your the only intelligent one in every topic.

Here f*cking Here.

#31 SoB

SoB

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

DDR2800 is faster than DDR2667. How do I know? Because, if I'm not mistaken, the higher the number, the higher the speed. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 400mhz faster than 333.5mhz? Now I believe in this non stop, action packed world we live in, faster is in fact better. So before you go making another reply to someone else's opinions with "Really? What kind of benefit is he going to see with that extra $100 he put into it? Have any links for benchmarks and what not?" Because what Sob said, is not an opinion. DDR2800 is better than DDR2667. Need some benchmarks to keep you happy? http://www.legitrevi...com/content.php. There, that sight, every article since about 2005 uses DDR 400/DDR2 800. Not 333/667. If your going from DDR400 (or less) and your jumping to a GOOD DDR2 machine then you want to see a nominal increase in performance, not just a slight jump to 667 from 400. If I spend a couple thousand building a system I want to see a f*cking DOUBLE in performance on everything. This guy is getting an 8800GTX and a Conroe. He better pair some damn good RAM with that so he has some f*cking bragging rights. Iceman, I think you need to stop posting like your the only intelligent one in every topic.

Here f*cking Here.

lol wasnt gonna waste my time looking for proof but janton did it for me...gg ty

LOL called janton haven for some reason

Edited by SoB, 11 January 2007 - 05:02 PM.

#32 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

There's a difference between people paying for bragging rights, and people paying for performance. Of course it will be faster, I was talking about some numbers here to signify the performance increase he gets by spending the $100.

Is $100 extra going to give him a 1% increase? Is he going to see a game load 1/10th of a second faster? I checked your link and didn't see anything on that page in regards to the memory speeds we're talking about here.

I just do my research before I buy anything, instead of taking 1 mans word that it is "better". All I ask is to prove what you say. Keep in mind, I'm talking about 667 vs 800, not DDR 400 vs DDR2 800.

See what Mike did earlier in this thread? He said what was better, and provided sources for proving why.

Also

Edit: Oh and forgot lol, i was planning on spending around ~1500 on this pc, it will come out to about that...

Im not going to overclock, dont want to spend the extra money on coolers, and risk burning my parts out.. just not my thing....

Edited by Iceman, 11 January 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#33 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

Read some articles dip sh*t. All Legit Reviews use DDR2800 for their test machines, because if you want real performance get real RAM. I just built someone a 700 dollar machine, he got DDR2800 BECAUSE IT IS BETTER. This guy is spending 1500. OH MY f*cking GOD I SAID A COUPLE THOUSAND! Lets use the quote feature to correct every nitty gritty piece of a damn passage that someone types. Every time someone posts an opinion you have to whip lash into action with your quotes and magical internet proof. For your information, it's the internet, not real life. I've tested hardware ranging from Celerons at 300mhz to Conroes at 2.9ghz, so stop acting like your a damn genius just because you found "proof"

EDIT: not this time, but next time yes.

Edited by The Drizzle, 11 January 2007 - 09:42 PM.

#34 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

Every time someone posts an opinion you have to whip lash into action with your quotes and magical internet proof.

- Yeah, forget about quoting what they say, and sending them to multiple places that show what is better and why.

I never said 800 isn't better than 667 (in terms of performance). I did ask for proof that it is worth the upgrade, or that it is better for the OP's computer. Better doesn't mean faster, better means it is a better deal for the price/performance/reliability/etc...

This guy is spending 1500. OH MY f*cking GOD I SAID A COUPLE THOUSAND!

- ok? How about you talk about the OP's needs? lol

What happens when you buy a car... when you select the engine, what makes you pay that extra $2000 for a more expensive engine? Do you just see that it is bigger, or listen to the salesman's BS to get his sale? Or do you actually think about what kind of performance increase you get, and then decide if it is worth the upgrade? Someone with a limited budget should think about what they get before they buy it, and see if it is worth it.

People with lots of money, who can sacrifice lots of money for very little extra performance, getting higher speeds for ram is good.

#35 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:18 PM

Janton Vs Iceman Take it to PM's with your personal flames boys. Dont hijack Novas thread with your useless comments.

And as for nova, DDR800 is faster yes, Better? pretty much yeah, worth it? thats for you to decide.

#36 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

if you put the money in something else like the cpu or the vid card it will be more worth it that if you put it in ddr2800 mem(thats if its $100). But since the difference is nowhere near $100 and both iceman is talking sh*t go for the ddr2800 since ddr2667 us basicaly useless and runs better when downclocked to 500.

Link cheapest ddr2800 mem on newegg.

Link cheapest ddr2500(to make sure) mem on newegg.

#37 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

Is $100 extra going to give him a 1% increase? Is he going to see a game load 1/10th of a second faster?

That's exactly what i wanted to know, im not asking if ddr2 800 is better then ddr2 667, of course it is.. but i wanted to know if the price difference was proportional to the performance difference.. but i guess you all are right that i should just get ddr2 800, which is what i'll do, probably.. and i said 100+ because the ddr2 800 ram is around $60-70 more expensive, plus the motherboards that support ddr2 800 are all like more than $150.. but i did just find a cheaper mobo that supports it.. so its all good...

#38 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

Janton Vs Iceman Take it to PM's with your personal flames boys

- I'm not personally attacking him, and if I did, I'm sorry as that is NOT my intention at all (I just looked back at my posts here, and I don't see me attacking him at all). It is my intention to prove what is the best bang for the buck.

Your definition of better is faster. Is a $4000 piece of ram better? NO, it is a waste of money, it is faster though.

That's exactly what i wanted to know, im not asking if ddr2 800 is better then ddr2 667, of course it is.. but i wanted to know if the price difference was proportional to the performance difference.. but i guess you all are right that i should just get ddr2 800, which is what i'll do, probably.. and i said 100+ because the ddr2 800 ram is around $60-70 more expensive, plus the motherboards that support ddr2 800 are all like more than $150.. but i did just find a cheaper mobo that supports it.. so its all good...

BINGO!!! Now do that same thing for the other hardware you buy, and you will have the BEST computer for $1500.

Here's a good read on memory performance with Conroe and the speeds effecting performance...

http://www.xbitlabs....ry-guide_8.html
Specifics:

Using higher-frequency memory modules makes the system costlier, yet doesn't lead to any significant performance increases. This is true, in part: memory faster than DDR2-533 can only provide a maximum of 5% performance growth in a majority of widespread applications. The problem is in the front-side bus which is only clocked at 266MHz as yet.

But it doesn't mean fast memory is completely useless for owners of Core 2 Duo systems. Although Intel has limited the frequency and bandwidth of the front-side bus, it's in our power to increase them without Intel's help. So, we'll be talking about overclocking now.

Edited by Iceman, 12 January 2007 - 12:55 AM.

#39 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

BTW, my whole setup at full load, monitor, speakers everything on my power strip will take 300W. Im really glad I dont pay the power bill.

Oh god I'm jealous. 320w PSU for my pelt is maxed out (so that's 350w of power from the wall), OCed opty, OCed 1900xtx... let's just say that I also am quite glad that I'm not paying power on my comp... Especially once i get an AC in for chilled water.. Hoping for well over 1KW of power from the box alone (no monitor, speakers etc.) :

That aside, it's DDR2-800 and DDR2-667. Otherwise it's DDR running at 2800MHz and 2667MHz. It pains me when I read it, guys. :D

As for actual speed difference, the PC numbers (IE DDR-400 being PC-3200) are supposed to be the approximate memory bandwidth (changes depending on timings, but should be in the general range of the PC numbers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users