56 replies to this topic

#21 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

why didnt you just go with raid intead of a raptor? faster and cheaper.....w/e your choice, do you have other hard drives as well?

#22 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

Windows xp allows you to use 4gb of ram. If you have trouble running 4gb of memory, buy some better hardware.

http://www.microsoft...PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

#23 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

Not really kid... 32 bit OS will only detect 3ish GB's worth, what you linked is more towards Itanium2's and whatnot I think

#24 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

goddamn it!

well i am returning my 36 gb hard drive... but now im all f*cking confused as to whether or not to return the other 2 gbs of ram.... i think ill keep them and hope they get utilized eventually...

#25 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

Adding /PAE to the end of your boot.ini file will technically make windows xp a 36 bit os. This will add more addresses for hardware. The reason the memory isn't being seen is because there are only so many addresses for hardware. So when you have all of your expansion slots filled, you aren't left with very many addresses. Meaning that there aren't going to be enough to run the full 4gb of memory. The more sh*t you have in your computer the less memory you will be able to use. Now adding pae to your boot.ini file supposedly only works with intel processors. Your best bet is to buy a motherboard with onboard sound and stick a single top of the line video card in your computer. SLI only causes less memory to be seen, which might not be that big of a problem for some people. Then, with that intel processor, you should be able to us pae and unlock all the memory or get pretty damn close.

What I meant when by getting better hardware was, instead of having two older video cards in sli or crossfire, buy one top of the line video card. Also buy a motherboard with good onboard sound, lan, etc.

#26 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Just run 64 bit, you will definatly use the 4gbs... and with the raptor... just run 2 in raid... they can be a lil noisey though

#27 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

i just read a bunch of negitive reviews on xp pro x64... im gonna keep the ram and wait till pro x64 is fixed and games start using its massive ballsack power. until then my buddy is giving me a copy of xp pro 32 bit. my ram is too sexy to return...

#28 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

Fixed? No offense but I installed it on some random A64 machine last night works fine, detects all 4gigs of Corsair Value Select and even scores 10000 in 3D mark 05 with an old 1900xt that I had lying around & a 4600+ Skt939. Tested BF2, HL2, Rainbow Six Vegas they all worked fine. Windows XP 64 runs off of the Windows 2000 Kernel (one of the most stable) and just doing random things it runs a bit smoother. The "cannot delete this god damned file" error hasn't occured yet, and I'm sure you know most Viruses/malware/spyware/adware is 32bit based, meaning alot less sh*t. I'll test out the Nvidia 64-bit drivers later for you but I knew that the ATI ones were stable (no offense nvidia) so I just used an ATI card. Might actually have a 7950gx2 in my stash to throw in there.

Edited by Janton, 07 May 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#29 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

Last time I checked nvidia drivers were stable. So you should be good there.

#30 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:47 AM

i went with 2 gigs... ill get the rest when i need it... i post ppics of the build, as well asmy 3d mark scores on thurs. (assumung everything works.) this is thr last time i type on ambien................ f*cked up.....

#31 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

so i was able to figure everything out on my damn own! horray for me and my ability to read user guides!

pics

Attached Files

#32 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

Nice !

But what a mess lol.

#33 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

I bet you if you don't wiremanage that shit, it'll catch fire, oh and make sure your ram is in the dual chan slots.

#34 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

I bet you if you don't wiremanage that sh*t, it'll catch fire, oh and make sure your ram is in the dual chan slots.

damn! i thought pushing all the wires to one place was wire management. the case has ties on the top and bottom, but it seems like i cant get all the wires to go there so i stuffed them in my empty 5.5 drive bay... ill prob figure it out at some point... gonna install vent soon, after the drivers...

#35 Xiertic

Xiertic

The Dagger In The Dark

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

You might want to keep the fire department on standby.

#36 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

the airflow is really good so im not that worried that anything will get too hot...

#37 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

After talking about this with you I wasn't totally convinced you'd be able to do it by yourself....haha I guess I was wrong. Nice job. If it wasn't a clear sided case I'd say screw that mess of wires and leave it.

Get those 3dmark scores up here I wanna see how this mother performs.

#38 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

I wish I could have gone all out the time I built my first computer... Post some benchmarks when you have the time (3dmark n sh*t.)

#39 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

Hell yea look in my sig i wanna see you beat that!!!!

#40 Sgt.Buttery

Sgt.Buttery

The Object of Frequent Lulz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Get some cable ties...It's what I did...
Posted Image
:tup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users