29 replies to this topic

#1 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

As I said, I just reformatted my computer and I've been reinstalling things and such (5 years of junk down the tubes... yes!) and I was going to install Firefox. I had it before but never really used it.

I know you guys all think it's better than IE but could you list reasons why. Then I'll get it and w/e.

The one problem I've heard about it was that if you leave it up for awhile it makes everything slower, and with my computer, that's really not an option.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

Well personally I've never seen any performance issue with firefox.

But as for reasons. . .

- They invented tabbed browsing.

- Block a shit load more pop ups.

- Lots of nice plugins.

But really, it's a small download, try it out, it's not like it will do anything irreversible to your computer.

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Don't forget that it actually displays code correctly.

But I'll refer you to this topic once you install it. Good themes and shit.

#4 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

well i personally enjoy the pipelining feature, normally when a browser request a page it only makes one request, so you load images and text 1 at a time...with pipelining you can increase the maximum simultaneous connections if the web page allows it. Also as for ram you can limit the amount of ram used by Firefox, and you can reduce it even more when minimized. Also the built in spell check is great for message boards!!

For those users out there who prefer the close tab button to the right instead of on each tab check below...and another cool trick if you accidentally close a tab and want it back hit Ctrl+Shift+T

Pulled off some Firefox tweak site some of this can be done with Fasterfox, but I prefer things manually:

12) Speed up Firefox. If you have a broadband connection (and most of us do), you can use pipelining to speed up your page loads. This allows Firefox to load multiple things on a page at once, instead of one at a time (by default, it�s optimized for dialup connections). Here�s how:

* Type �about:config� into the address bar and hit return. Type �network.http� in the filter field, and change the following settings (double-click on them to change them):
* Set �network.http.pipelining� to �true�
* Set �network.http.proxy.pipelining� to �true�
* Set �network.http.pipelining.maxrequests� to a number like 30. This will allow it to make 30 requests at once.
* Also, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it �nglayout.initialpaint.delay� and set its value to �0″. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

13) Limit RAM usage. If Firefox takes up too much memory on your computer, you can limit the amount of RAM it is allowed to us. Again, go to about:config, filter �browser.cache� and select �browser.cache.disk.capacity�. It�s set to 50000, but you can lower it, depending on how much memory you have. Try 15000 if you have between 512MB and 1GB ram.

14) Reduce RAM usage further for when Firefox is minimized. This setting will move Firefox to your hard drive when you minimize it, taking up much less memory. And there is no noticeable difference in speed when you restore Firefox, so it�s definitely worth a go. Again, go to about:config, right-click anywhere and select New-> Boolean. Name it �config.trim_on_minimize� and set it to TRUE. You have to restart Firefox for these settings to take effect.

15) Move or remove the close tab button. Do you accidentally click on the close button of Firefox�s tabs? You can move them or remove them, again through about:config. Edit the preference for �browser.tabs.closeButtons�. Here are the meanings of each value:

* 0: Display a close button on the active tab only
* 1:(Default) Display close buttons on all tabs
* 2:Don�t display any close buttons
* 3:Display a single close button at the end of the tab bar (Firefox 1.x behavior)

#5 Lone Rapist

Lone Rapist

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

firefox is the sh*t, its so f*cking awsome.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Yup, and your a fag for not using it Dar :)

#7 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

All the cool people use it, if you don't use it you are a fag in my book.

#8 Mr. Sticks

Mr. Sticks

Spam Master General

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

You aren't cool unless you use Firefox. :tup:

#9 -=Penguin=-

-=Penguin=-

Jedi Mind Tricks

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

IE2 FTW!!!

seriously get firefox tho, blocks all pop ups that will give u nasty trojans

#10 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

yea dude... back with my old old computer i used to get viruses up the anus every five seconds but ever since i got firefox i nvr really get any anymore... now with the newer but still old computer i just stay out of those random sites dur :P

#11 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

Yep, I switched to firefox. I'll see how it goes. Not much difference right now, so there's really no point in going to back to IE. What is that thread that you put there Chris though? I don't understand what all those files you put there do.

#12 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

good job nubcakes :D enjoy ur firefox

#13 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

- They invented tabbed browsing.

that was opera, but firefox is still the sh*t.

#14 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Yep, I switched to firefox. I'll see how it goes. Not much difference right now, so there's really no point in going to back to IE. What is that thread that you put there Chris though? I don't understand what all those files you put there do.

Themes and useful extensions.

#15 indica

indica

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

thanks for all that info wondergod! :tup:

#16 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

moved to the software forum you nub dar... lol. Yeah there are also some other helpful hints on firefox in previous posts similar to what wondergod listed.

edit: also do "browser.search.suggest.enabled false"

Edited by Sniprwulf, 15 May 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#17 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

One of the best mods I have for my FireFox is IE Tab. If something needs to be viewed in IE for whatever reason, a simple button click will cause the page to load in IE but still be in Firefox. The only problem is that it will now read any cookies from IE, and not from FireFox.

#18 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

So? What sites need to be opened in IE? 99% of the sites that don't suck ass are Firefox compatible, in fact, my site doesn't work in IE. Firefox is demanded.

#19 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

So? What sites need to be opened in IE? 99% of the sites that don't suck ass are Firefox compatible, in fact, my site doesn't work in IE. Firefox is demanded.

I think the uk playboy site has a msg that says you need IE. That website is pretty nice.

#20 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

Yeah there are also some other helpful hints on firefox in previous posts similar to what wondergod listed.
edit: also do "browser.search.suggest.enabled false"

Yeah I did that after reading that topic Chris posted.

You sure? Cause I went to your site before I switched I know. Maybe I just wasn't getting the full thing or something.

But here update: It's been running a ton slower than IE ever did. I was on yahoo mail and when I was typing it was showing up well after I typed it if you've ever experienced that before. I uninstalled all the addons I had gotten to just to see if that would help and it didn't. Right now I went back to IE unless someone can tell me a way to make this better. My brother still insists that it will make your computer run slower too.

Help would be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users