14 replies to this topic

#1 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

I am getting a little tired of Windows XP for the sake of oldness but don't want to even touch Vista. Anyone know anything about Ubuntu and game compatability? And also is it possible to skin? I saw earlier the default color's are orange.

Edited by Komit, 14 May 2007 - 06:21 PM.

#2 Ahkmed

Ahkmed

DICK RAMM

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Hmm.. yeah about that, you sig is funny?

#3 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

i use many flavors of linux, ubuntu being my personal pref, but right now I'm running Suse.

Ubuntu is great for general use and even some advanced use. It has great driver compatibility with base installs. As for themes, just look up "beryl" and be amazed, plus you can make your own theme or look on the interweb, cuz there is a ton out there.

As for game compatibility....Cedega or Wine. Cedega works for a lot of games but can be a little tricky and sometimes glitchy. If you do decide to use beryl, make sure you have a login with it disabled if you want to play games.

My suggestion, dual boot with windows and ubuntu for awhile, learn the basics, see if you can get your games running then at that point you can uninstall windows. Getting games to run isn't as simple as windows...

Edited by wondergod, 14 May 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#4 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

My suggestion, dual boot with windows and ubuntu for awhile, learn the basics, see if you can get your games running then at that point you can uninstall windows. Getting games to run isn't as simple as windows...

Eh after talking to Raccoon for a long time on AIM i'm pretty sure im going through with it. Wiping my entire windows and saving all my vids and pics on an alt hard drive. And I already planned Beryl with wine.

#5 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

Been there done that... using windows again...

#6 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

What did you find wrong with it?

#7 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Why can you just Have both??

windows and Linux

so if you dont like Linux you still have windows...

Thats what im doing right now

#8 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Why can you just Have both??

windows and Linux

so if you dont like Linux you still have windows...
Thats what im doing right now

I agree. Windows is the way to go for gaming right now...at least until that DirectX project is done.

Anyway, I'd have both installed because if Windows has a Helen Keller moment, you can use Linux to save your shit, format the drive/partition that Windows is on, and enjoy.

#9 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'd have both installed because if Windows has a Helen Keller moment

Lmao that made me laugh.... :20:

#10 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

Regarding dual running Windows and Linux, if I just plop in the Ubuntu CD at the beginning, does it overwrite anything on windows? I'm curious about dual running Linux and Windows, but I want to be cautious, and to back eveerything up id have to burn everything onto a bunch of DVD's because I can't afford an extra harddrive, so I want to make sure that Linux won't overwrite any data I have on the computer. Specifically Ubuntu.

#11 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

No, Ubuntu doubles as a livecd so you can put it in, boot from the CD and it'll run the OS right off the CD. Keep in mind it running off the CD is much slower than on the hard drive and I had problems with audio playing, but if you like it you can install it with Windows, it comes with a bootloader and everything. Just make sure you have a big enough partition if you use a single hard drive.

EDIT: BTW 900 posts mutha bitchez, I'm gunning for that top 10.

#12 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

I agree. Windows is the way to go for gaming right now...at least until that DirectX project is done.

That's going to be so sexy, that's when im gonna look more into Ubuntu, it's on my other hardrive. I've screwed around with it.

EDIT: BTW 900 posts mutha bitchez, I'm gunning for that top 10.

I think i'm like 1,060 Posts

#13 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

Alright so I ended up not switching to Ubuntu. I had a LAN party that weekend and didn't wanna risk accidently f*cking my system over. But being that I have 2 identical harddrives, is it possible to move the data from my second to my first, Install Ubuntu on it, and run the second drive at start? If so then I would be able to have a lot of f*cking fun.

#14 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

like booting both systems? very possible.

#15 Captiva

Captiva

If You Can Bleed, You Can Die

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Since you want to use your computer for gaming, dual booting would be your best plan. At least until you get command prompt/Wine/Cedega under control. It's better to have Windows first, then adding Linux (I recommend Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn. <3). Windows can b*tch about a foreign OS already being established, and although you can install Windows to run in Wine, it's nicer to partition it.

I'm an admitted noob when it comes to commands and programming. You can ask Shadow, he was attempting to assist me in installing Cedega last night and I was a total failure, but I still get along well with Ubuntu. I even have IE working in Wine. As far as I have heard, Steam is compatible, if not easily run.

Beryl is pretty, but not needed. Ubuntu already has multiple desktops, which you can switch between with icons in the bottom right corner. Older versions had four, but 7.04 only has two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users