19 replies to this topic

#1 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

For a month now, Comcast service has been really annoying. Once in a while, I would experience speeds slower than dial-up. All costumer services tell me is that it shouldn't be like that. I had an appointment set up today for maintenance, but surprisingly for 2 days my speed has been boosted to 9000kbps. So I canceled the appointment this morning, and guess what? It shut down once again. My modem said that I'm connected to the internet, but I wasn't able to load a single page. I tried to get my appointment again, but they said the earliest possible date would be next Tuesday. You guys with cable services, especially Comcast, have you had problems like this?

#2 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

oh yeah, all the time with charter...sometimes the speeds are so fast I sh*t myself(downloading files at around a 1-2 gigs downloads in like 10minutes or less)
and sometimes it will just slow down, and barely load any pages and I will see substantial packet loss right before the connection times out.
Have had this problem for years, but..its still better then dial up 99% of the time...
I have heard the new FIOS from verizon is the sh*t...I might check that out soon.

#3 Sgt.Buttery

Sgt.Buttery

The Object of Frequent Lulz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

It happened to me as well with Time Warner.

A lot of the time it is the modem or the way your house is connected to the network.

Have a guy come by and check it or call Comcast to do a diagnostic over the phone.

#4 indica

indica

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Comcast used to suck for me but when i moved it has been fine mostly. I don't know what they refer to the different geographic groups of users but I've heard you are sort of on a huge LAN with other users in close proximity to you. Overcrowded networks. It is either that or you have f*cked up hardware and wiring. I had small problem with inconsistent connection speeds and had to b*tch twice to get them to fix it. It was the outdoor wiring. They key to comcast is b*tching to them. b*tch until the problem is solved or b*tch your way to speak with management and make them take action.

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

It happened to me as well with Time Warner.

A lot of the time it is the modem or the way your house is connected to the network.

That's weird, TW here in Ohio is the pwnage, other than the fact that the overall speed is lower than a lot of other places in this country, but yeah.

I never get outages, never get speed drops, and TW recently bumped me from 5mbps to 7 for free.

I also hate Comcast for what they did to TechTV.

Just call them and tell them to fix their shitty service before you drop them for something better. :tup:

#6 Lesbian Dad

Lesbian Dad

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

i don't know what it is about comcast, but they always end up messing something up.

#7 Link2086

Link2086

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:16 PM

Ugh, I know exactly where you're coming from. Comcast used to be great, but ever since we moved, it's been atrocious. The service is subpar, they never bury their cables deep enough (the cable has been cut at least four times in three years), and the connection really isn't that great. It's frustrating at best, but I don't know of anything better.

#8 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:53 AM

Revert to my experience

I feel your pain.

#9 bobdole

bobdole

Lurker

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

I've also got great opposing views to comcast. When their service is good, it's great! When it's bad it's terrible. Just that time of the month I guess.

#10 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

Revert to my experience

I feel your pain.

Haha, after they finally realized that the problem was not within my house, they figured out it was a problem with a node outside. All Comcast customers on my street had little or no connection. Therefore, they had to install an amplifier to increase the signal.

#11 EpicFail:/

EpicFail:/

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I have Comcast now and it's usually pretty good. Previously I had Adelphia though, which was slower than dial-up for cable connections and disconnected literally for days at a time. They will burn in internets hell imo.

#12 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

I have cox cable and I had the same problem you were. My voip would sound like sh*t and my internet would work when it wanted to. They were telling me that I would have to re-wire my house. I told them they were full of sh*t and they needed to come and install an amplifier because that is what it seem like. Anyways they came out and got the amplifier installed and everything was perfect. The next day it started doing the sh*t again. So I called them back. They sent a tech out that day and he checked out the wiring in my house and checked out sh*t on my computer and my phone. Even after I told them the wiring and my computer was fine.

It turns out that some asshole would come out and steal the amplifier out of the junction box in my neighbors yard. Every single time. f*cking assholes. I don't know if they ever found out who was doing it. But I told them if they didn't have the sh*t fixed in a week, I would cancel my services. It has been fine ever since.

#13 Capt.John

Capt.John

Goofanacka

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

My internet is good, but I have a pos router so every 5 mins or so I have a lag spike for 2-5 seconds :tdown:

#14 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

I also hate Comcast for what they did to TechTV.

Those basters took away Screen Savers!! (the old school ATOTS)

#15 mexsniper

mexsniper

Lurker

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Comcast ripped my family off so bad. they charge my uncle 600 dollars for long distance calls to Germany that they never made. Its f****d up how they actually made him pay it. for the record my family is from mexico why the heck would they call germany

#16 The Punisher

The Punisher

Who Knows?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

but its f*cking comcastic.....

jk it blows ass just like most other big isps :tdown:

#17 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

what really pisses me off is that about a week ago i finally get a letter in the mail saying verizon fios (which i checked 20times as school was starting) is now available after i got my comcast sh*t all setup for a month and paid installation fees etc. f*ckin bullsh*t.

#18 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

It's actually been holding pretty well over these past 2 months. I'm sure I just jinxed myself by saying that...

what really pisses me off is that about a week ago i finally get a letter in the mail saying verizon fios (which i checked 20times as school was starting) is now available after i got my comcast sh*t all setup for a month and paid installation fees etc. f*ckin bullsh*t.

How much better is verizon's fios service?

#19 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

All I've heard is how it's great, not much proof to back it up though. But, I do believe that it probably is amazing.

#20 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

i had to get comcast so far it has been great. it has its lag spikes here an there but compared to the local dsl. man it smokes the hell outta it. verizon isnt available here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users