18 replies to this topic

#1 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Nintendo's Wii have passed Microsoft's Xbox 360 on a worldwide basis as of August 23rd. (*)

Two years ago, very few analysts would have predicted the Nintendo Wii would be market leader this generation against the established Playstation and Xbox brands. But analysts can be in error: Vgchartz.com data, which is based on sample data from retailers all over the world indicates that the week ending August 23rd Nintendo's Wii (which was released one year after the Xbox 360 in November 2006), currently standing at 10.57 million consoles sold, passed Xbox 360 lifetime sales of 10.51 million units, making Nintendo the new market leader in both the home and handheld videogame console businesses.

As weekly data from vgchartz.com shows(**), the console outsold Microsoft�s Xbox 360 by a margin of 2.3 : 1 worldwide on average each week since its release, selling at an even faster rate than the most successful console ever created, Sony's Playstation 2, despite still being sold out in most major markets.

This is the first time that a company has been market leader in the home console and the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendo�s Super NES and Gameboy dominated worldwide.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be first to announce this major sales cross over as an independent tracker of sales and expect this to be a milestone for the current generation. In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed. This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future.

One factor that has no doubt helped Nintendo's Wii to gain so quickly is the console's broad appeal across all age groups, demographics and countries. Current sales are pretty evenly split between the three major markets � 3.46 million have been sold in Japan, the American market (including Canada and South America) accounts for 4.24million and Other markets (including Europe and Australia and a few niche markets) for 2.87 million units sold, respectively.

Notes:

(*)Vgchartz.com tracks consoles sold to consumers and not to retailers and other outlets. While Microsoft�s Xbox 360 lifetime shipments may be slightly higher than the shipments of Nintendo�s Wii, more Wii consoles made it from retailer to consumers than Xbox 360�s, due to the fact that Wii remains in a state of shortage in most regions around the world and units are sold just shortly after they become available to consumers. This furthermore explains why numbers on the front page of VGchartz.com are always a bit lower than the numbers given by the manufacturers themselves: To Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo every console that made it to retailers is �sold�. In reality these consoles may be lying in retailer warehouses and outlets for weeks until they are sold to consumers.

(**)Vgchartz.com projections are based on sampled retailer data from all over the world. Vgchartz.com collects data from a carefully selected group of retailers and determines projected sales figures for entire regions with knowledge of market size, retailer market shares, retailer bias and so forth - the same methods used by larger and more established sales tracking firms. To learn more about VGchartz� methodology of tracking sales data, contact us ([email protected]) or visit our website to find out more.

#2 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

Wii for the Wiin!!!

#3 Captiva

Captiva

If You Can Bleed, You Can Die

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

Casual games pushing it, of course.
And, you know, the whole 1/3 of 360s guaranteed to be f*cked up.

#4 -=Penguin=-

-=Penguin=-

Jedi Mind Tricks

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

The reason why nintendo has sold many consoles: Drunk people love the Wii

#5 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

The reason why nintendo has sold many consoles: Drunk people love the Wii

This is very true. Wii bowling FTW!!!!

#6 adrian

adrian

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

Can't wait for Metroid. Love that sh*t. :muaha:

#7 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

I'm still looking to buy one and play Zelda.

#8 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

Meh, console gaming is bad regardless of the console. Once you go PC you never go back.

#9 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

Meh, console gaming is bad regardless of the console. Once you go PC you never go back.

You will change your mind once you get to college. Or are old enough to get liquor on a regular basis. I swear to god being f*cking wasted with friends and playing Wii bowling, mario kart, mario party, or smash brothers is the best thing ever.

#10 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Or you could stop being a retard and enjoy both consoles and PC.

Anyways, I've heard alot of people with the Wii get bored of quickly because the novelty factor of the controller wears off on them and that because of this, game sales aren't as high as they should be with the number of systems out there. Any of you guys that own a Wii feel like this or is it just some people talking out of their ass?

#11 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

I've played a lot of Wii and most of the games are pretty shallow. RE4 is really good and Zelda is Zelda, but other than that metroid and Super Mario Galaxy are the only new games im looking forward to... The virtual console is pretty awesome, though. You can't beat being able to play Super Mario 2 without blowing into a 20 yr old game cartridge.

#12 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

Or you could stop being a retard and enjoy both consoles and PC.

Fuck off, I don't like gaming on consoles. Know why?

On the console I can't download my games, not pay a subscription fee, use a keyboard and mouse, mod my games, run other apps in conjunction with the game and control simultaneously (Vent, Winamp, etc...), or upgrade my system for better performance/graphics.

I can however have a gaming community full of whiny 11-year-old twats, a system that overheats, a system that breaks when you play Forza 2, a system that costs a ridiculous amount of money, and a small hard drive filled with proprietary format downloads.

#13 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Most consoles don't differ enough from PC format to be worth buying. Wii is an exception, and those damn addicting Guitar Hero games. Other than that though, consoles are the lose.

#14 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

I used to be like that then i got a Wii. But i still play on my PC more then my Wii

#15 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Chris don't Troll..we all no that you dont like Consoles...so shhhhhhh

#16 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

It's not trolling. I'm simply stating why consoles fail.

This is trolling

#17 Sgt. Bojo

Sgt. Bojo

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

Anyways, I've heard alot of people with the Wii get bored of quickly because the novelty factor of the controller wears off on them and that because of this, game sales aren't as high as they should be with the number of systems out there. Any of you guys that own a Wii feel like this or is it just some people talking out of their ass?

Yeah, I didn't get into any real games after i beat Zelda. And on that note, Metroid in 2 days. :weee: The demo from the shop channel is sweet.

#18 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Once you go PC you never go back.

+1

Edited by Komit, 27 August 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#19 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:55 PM

I agree with Chris on this one. I'm definitely more in favor of a good PC than a Xbox or the like. This is parcially to my deprived childhood though with nothing other than my crappy computer which I hang on to with dear life because my parents never wanted us to get consoles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users