20 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Well, lets see, back in August, my motherboard onboard sound went out. So I thought, "Meh, I wanted to get a good sound blaster anyway." So I bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium edition. Later in the month every PCI slot other then the main one used for graphics stop working and recognizing the sound card. Then I lost my job...

Well I knew the motherboard was going, so I thought lets just hope it makes it to winter break. Then my older laptop's hard drive failed. I got a loan from my parent and got a new laptop (The one I'm on now.). Then 2 weeks after I get the laptop I'm playing CoD4 and BAM! Desktop comp dies, power is still on, fans are running but no restart, or bios. Mother board dies.

Sent it back to ASUS (Fuck them by the way.) And they tell me somehow the CPU pins got bent, so I have to pay $40 for them to fix it and get my board repaired, or they wont fix what was wrong with it in the first place. Well, the email they sent me, failed to attach the credit form to pay for the damned thing. 2 days after I replied, I got the form. Faxed out the form to the number in the first email. I asked for a confirmation of the fax. "No we didn't get it, did you fax it to [Insert completely different number then the original email here.]? Faxed it to that number. Asked for a confirmation. 2 days later, "Yeah we took you money, thank you!"

2 weeks now and I haven't heard shit about my board.

Thankfully Wonder sent me an extra 775 motherboard he has sitting around. (Will still continue to hound ASUS.)

Got that board from him, resetup my computer. Started it up. Started doing some BIOS, then flickering case lights aaaaaaannnnnnnddd off!... PSU died. Supposedly the PSU has a history of killing peoples motherboards with, or before they completely die.

Well, fuck me....

Here I am trying to make do with what little I have, but instead getting fucked and having to shell out for a new PSU.

So I said fuck it pulled out the NewEgg Preferred account and ordered....

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Thankfully it has a $20 rebate starting today. So that'll cut it down to $80. Hopefully Corsair live up to their quality name.

Fun last few months... Fun indeed.

Though I learned a few things...

ASUS sucks dick.

AeroCool makes horrible PSUs that I'll never buy again.

And fuck this economy. :tired:

#2 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

mehhhh f*ck you, stop buying off craigslist :P
Posted Image

#3 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to a friends comp. I built with the exact same PSU. Was really disappointing because Aerocool does modular really well. It's always the pretty power supplies to go first :(

#4 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

Thankfully it has a $20 rebate starting today. So that'll cut it down to $80. Hopefully Corsair live up to their quality name.
AeroCool makes horrible PSUs that I'll never buy again.

Some companies are horrible and some aren't...live and learn. However, Corsair makes the best RAM I've ever used so hopefully they shouldn't have bad PSU's either.

Then again I have a Rosewill (Newegg generic) PSU which hasn't failed in almost two years.

Good luck.

#5 SoulWind

SoulWind

Combine Elite

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

Corsair makes pretty decent power supplies, you should be pretty happy with it. (By "make" I mean "brand," they, like most others, have someone else make it)

I usually recommend that if you want anything decent, don't buy something that hasn't been reviewed and given good marks on http://www.jonnyguru.com/ or http://www.hardocp.com/ (there are a few other sites, but not many. Silent PC Review is decent too, although they usually look at different kinds of supplies)

Most reviews are by a bunch of nubs who review a PSU by watching how much the rails fluctuate when playing games/running benchmarks, which doesn't tell you sh*t. These guys test them with a proper PSU tester and open them up to check the quality of capacitors, etc.

Good luck on getting it all going again

#6 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

Don't worry though zeke, just steal a shotgun from work and you know..................sell it.

I've had good and bad experience with most PSU manufacturers...I mean some probably have a lower percentage of fail, but all fail sooner or later. The way I look at it is the difference in price is good PSU's keep the rails consistent in power, but still will fail. Did you check the fuse in it? A lot of times its just the fuse that blows and can be replaced(some solder it to the fitting).

My last two have been thermaltake PSU's and they both have been rock solid.

Good Luck!

#7 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

Thats a b*tch. Good luck.

#8 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Don't worry though zeke, just steal a shotgun from work and you know..................sell it.

I can see it now...

"Bussman, why are you walking like that?"

"Like this? Oh, yeah, my knee hurts when I bend it so I'm trying my best not t... *blam*."

"What was that?"

"My foot just had a blow out..."

lol.

#9 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Corsair power supplies rape. And yes, I completely agree that ASUS has gone down the f*ckin tubes for their mid-grade boards. Gigabyte and MSI have better support, better layouts, and better bios's from my experience..

#10 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

still asus all the way for me!
msi is to me, like your asus is to you.

Edited by matthew0155, 02 November 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#11 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

Well, it's been almost 24 hours since the last fail. So that means it was bound to happen.

Bad cellphone picture.
Posted Image

I walked out to my car to grab my book for my next class and saw this...

It's a perfectly rounded impact. So either someone stabbed my car with something like a screw driver, or either a pellet or .22 round hit my car. Fucking cock sucking mother fucking bad luck...

If this keeps up, you should keep an eye on the news. There will be a massive killing spree happening... :hate:

#12 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Oh sh*t.

I love you,

#13 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Can I has your raptor b4 you go off the deep end>?

#14 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hehehehehe............. ::puts his pellet gun away::

You know what, I am that much of a dick, I would drive down to you and do something like that to someone's car just to give them a sh*tty day :D

#15 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

Easily fixed with duct tape.
No biggie.

#16 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

Easily fixed with duct tape.
No biggie.

I'll let your ignorance slide as you live in Florida.

Chipped off paint + Chicago Winter = Rust

The car is only 2 years old. It shouldn't have rust... And be shot at while I head to school...

But what can you do....

BUT GAMBLE!!!

Lets start a pool on whether I live/get away with no serious injuries till Friday when I get my new PSU!

Each day will be a category, $50 a spot.

#17 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

I'll let your ignorance slide as you live in Florida.

Chipped off paint + Chicago Winter = Rust

Well as I am the one closest to Zeke you guys can call all his stuff however much you want but I will have loaded all of it up and drove away by the time any of you have even entered the state. But I will leave you a plate of cookies for your effort.

Yeah the whole duck tape thing, it starts off great for maybe the first day or two. Then it peels off and leaves a crap-ass glue mark all of your car and because its tape it won't stick again. You have to rip off all the tape and reapply it every f*cking 2-3 days. Seriously though, there is no solution. I thought about cement once but yeah . . . save money and go get your car fixed.

#18 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

Well as I am the one closest to Zeke you guys can call all his stuff however much you want but I will have loaded all of it up and drove away by the time any of you have even entered the state. But I will leave you a plate of cookies for your effort.

It'll be a race, I don't live very far from zeke too. You better come armed because I will be :D

#19 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

I'm on the next flight to IL. I call his copper piping.

Edited by MainEvent, 04 November 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#20 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

I'm on the next flight to IL. I call his copper piping.

Take particular interest to the one with capped ends in the middle of his empty living room..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users