25 replies to this topic

#1 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Well, I'm not gunna make it long, but I'm just glad to say that I'm born in the generation that I am. B/c from what it looks like, we're screwed in the future. It will take over a 1000 years of non-industry to undo what we did in less than 200. Our planet's temp may rise 10 degrees farenheight in the next century. All I gots to say is, damn. Just wait till next hurricane season...

Whats your guys thoughts.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:32 PM

glad I live in the MidWest. If the polar ice caps melt, we'll be the new Florida. :1:

But yeah, have you seen some of the wacky ideas to stop global warming? One of them would cost more then the manhatten project did. It involves, in a series of space missions, to bring up a giant 100,000 square mile curtain consisted of 1 nm wide wires seperated by 2 nm. It would block out like 2% of the suns rays, just enough to counter act the global warming caused by pollution.

Some other involve putting salt in the air to create more clouds and block more of the sun during a day. Another is to create giant AC like units to clean the air.

Edited by Ezekiel, 13 March 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#3 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

I took a class on this topic in college it was very interesting. If the temp rises by 2 degrees we are pretty much screwed, let alone 10. Even the slightest change f*cks up the global weather much more than one would think.

I don't think that we can blame the last hurricane season entirely on global warming though. The way that the ocean currents work, about every 25 years or so we have a period of inactivity for hurricanes followed by another 25 years or so of higher activity. (there really wasn't that many bad hurricanes in the last 10 or so years) Its also the same sh*t that causes the Northeast to have milder winters. Generally speaking: a bad hurricane season means for a milder winter for the Northeast. Of course the weather patterns are unpredictable and this doesn't necessarily mean sh*t. But its interesting.

But yeah, I totally agree. We are screwed.

Then you have the stupid ass tree-hugging f*cks that say that nuclear power is bad and protest against it. The last time I checked it was the cleanest form of energy that we have figured out how to produce so far. :tdown:

Edited by ShLoNkY, 13 March 2006 - 02:57 PM.

#4 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

Yup, I've heard about the 25 year hurricane thing before but global warming also does increase the verosity of such storms.

LOL about the nuclear powerplants, yeah they're totally the best way to make energy. Granted, its only 15 percent I think of what makes up our country, all it does is make a lil toxic waste that we can easily store somewhere and some hot water.

#5 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

yeah Shlonky.. nuclear power is actually the best form of energy available right now. If we would have spent the roughly 119.4 Billion dollars that the Iraq war has cost on renewable energy instead we would have been f*ckin made, wouldn't even need nuclear plants... let alone coal, oil and gas.
We would still have to deal with the global warming effect, which we cannot stop right now even if we did stop using fossile fuels. That thin net thing wouldn't do sh*t.
This is a good time to invest in high altitude land and sunscreen people! :1: But look at where people are actually investing... coastal property... on the gulf no less. How f*cking stupid can you get? It gets hammered more and more frequently by hurricanes, the sea is slowly swallowing it and it will most likely be drilled in a frantic effort from the government to get more oil...
But when they say that the sea level is going to rise by 100 feet it's not going to impact land as much. Just because you don't live more than 100 feet above current sea level doesn't mean you're going to be at the bottom of the ocean. earlier in history, before the ice age, sea level has been much higher than it is today, and there have not been any oceans in many places where there should have according to data. The weather and ocean currents is what you should be worried about. What happens if the Gulf stream dissapears? Virtually all of Europe and the US east coast are gonna get f*cked.
As a final note, the Netherlands are f*cked either way :perk:

#6 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

I think I'm gonna invest in ocean front property on the gulf. Think about it..... a few more hurricanes and people will practicaly be giving away prime ocean front property. Wait a coupla years till there isn't a bad hurricane for a few seasons, sell it, make a f*cking fortune, then laugh your balls off when they get hit bad. :evil: ........I think I'm on to something here....

#7 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Because of global warming and the shift of the ocean currents England is gonna have the climate similar to Florida and Florida's climate will be like England. I was hit by 2 hurricanes last year, house almost caved in, and we did not have power for 2 weeks! We gotta do something about this or I'll be living underwater soon.

#8 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I do agree with Shlonky on many points but i still have serious doubts about global warming as being seriously sustained problem for an exsentive amount of time. When Valcanos erupt they let off more CO2, Methane, Sulfur then the world can produce in 50 years. Also everyone has heard of the ice ages becuase they tend to go along with extinctions but not many people hear about the hot spots in the earth's history because there really has never been a mass extinction except for possible the dinosaurs (but that could be do to an asteroid or many other things that we dont know).

Overall i have noticed warmer weather but i hesitate to say that we are f*cked. There are to many things, especially with evolution, that is not accounted for. What? How does evolution have to do with global warming?

Well yes some species may be wiped out but others will adapt to not only warmer temps but more CO2 in the air. Plants that can convert more CO2 and bare more fruit to seed and polinate are more likely to survive. But that is a small aspect of a very big situation. Who knows what will happen 100 years from now or even the next 10 years. You really dont but it is not something to freak out about.

#9 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

Me and Cleric know this. But if you lived in/near Chicago, you'd never even notice any strange weather, or the wierd seasons. That's Chicago land. Odd weather is a weekly event. :20: Snow in April, 60 degree weather in December... yeah, happens too often.

#10 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Its not something that we have to worry about in our lifetimes. In the past 200 years the average global temperature has increased a little bit over one degree. Doesn't seem like much, but we really need to think ahead a little bit more than we do now. 50 years ago and there was virtually no legislation in place to help control pollution. The Great Lakes and tributaries are so polluted that NONE of the salmon are able to reproduce. They all come from stocking.

I don't exactly cry at night because of this sh*t, but I'm an outdoorsman and Hunting/Fishing and the outdoors is what I live for. Its kinda sad when the DEC says that I shouldn't eat more than 2 servings of wild duck in a month because they have a high mercury content. :tdown:

#11 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

When Valcanos erupt they let off more CO2, Methane, Sulfur then the world can produce in 50 years.

I'd like to see where you found that one out. I know volcanoes produce large amounts of carbon-dioxide and sulfur dioxide etc. but its not enough to change the global climate. Over long periods of time they can like thousands to millions of years, but I cant see one eruption producing more pollution than the world in 50 years. Consider how many millions of barrels of oil we are burning a day. I'm gonna be gone before the major changes take place, but we may see some differences in the near future.

Interesting facts: http://www.indiadail...torial/4771.asp got some crazy sh*t in there!

Edited by Sniprwulf, 13 March 2006 - 07:38 PM.

#12 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

I don't exactly cry at night because of this sh*t, but I'm an outdoorsman and Hunting/Fishing and the outdoors is what I live for. Its kinda sad when the DEC says that I shouldn't eat more than 2 servings of wild duck in a month because they have a high mercury content. :tdown:

Yeah, I know how you feel there. You couldn't eat a fish out of any local body of water around here, not unless you wanted to die.

#13 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

I'd like to see where you found that one out.

Interesting facts: http://www.indiadail...torial/4771.asp got some crazy sh*t in there!

It was in an article in Scientific America about a year ago when global warming was getting to be a really hot debated topic. If i can find it I will scan it and post it here. Might be a little out of date but the point still holds. While burning oil is not a conservative reaction, a fairly large yield is saved for other purpose such as crude products and the process for buring oil (except for open oil fires like in the middle east) have a relatively high atom economy.

In short its bad but not that bad as in comparison to a volcano releasing CO2 or all that other stuff.

Edited by Cleric, 13 March 2006 - 08:41 PM.

#14 iMSeRiOuS

iMSeRiOuS

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

well i better start packing my bags.... i use to live in st.louis missouri lol but now i live in florida... looks like were gonna get f*cked in the ass

#15 anadate

anadate

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

first off has anyone seen that special about what if yellowstone erupted .. pretty screwed junk anyway..

second remember written records only date back so many years (thus records of climate etc.. etc.. ) meaning the odd weather we are having now may just be part of a long long cycle...

third movies have suggested this in the past but ill bring it up again question is this: Do you think mother earth has its on way of healing and coping i mean talking about glacier melting.. was they even there before the ice age... if you haven't seen the Day after tomorrow watch it good movie and it actually makes you think that and the people and the whole helicopter freezing in seconds was pretty freakin cool.. anyway

fourth talking about global warming and Ive been driving down GA 400 for the last week or so from North Forsyth glenridge right before the toll they are putting in so much concrete but so little compared to what is already there..
my view is this.. when you are outside and its hot and you sit down for a few minutes you are going to sit in the shade of a tree building whatever.. point being shade is good! cut trees down no shade more ground surface area is warmed and put a nice heat holding element on it like concrete something to hold that extra warmth in place a little longer and boom you got a very very small effect on a very very small piece of dirt .. multiply that by millions upon millions.. but in an argument amongst myself.. does this really make sense.. or would the lava beneath us not have more of an effect on us.. the ground has to be a really good insulator so if we take this statement as true.. then what are we left with .. Beneath the ground molten lava beyond plates ect.. ect.. Above the ground a rise in temperature 2 degrees.. from what was those .. anyway you get my point.. maybe this warmth is just a cycle the earth has went threw before and will go threw again.. reason being beyond knowing but who knows maybe a couple more degrees boom! a pitbull and lizard will mate and you will have new minature dinasaurs.. this post just went from being a quick statement to extreme ramblings.. sorry..

#16 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

first off has anyone seen that special about what if yellowstone erupted .. pretty screwed junk anyway..

I have and i beliece it is called a cauldara. If that erupts we truly are f*cked, no joke, end of the US and possibly North America.

Edited by Cleric, 13 March 2006 - 11:02 PM.

#17 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

my view is this.. when you are outside and its hot and you sit down for a few minutes you are going to sit in the shade of a tree building whatever.. point being shade is good! cut trees down no shade more ground surface area is warmed and put a nice heat holding element on it like concrete something to hold that extra warmth in place a little longer and boom you got a very very small effect on a very very small piece of dirt .. multiply that by millions upon millions..

umm..no offense but do you know what global warming is??

I hereya cleric, and maybe the article might be true but I'll still have my doubts. Yess, crude oil is used for alot of things. I remember in HS when we learned about the distilling etc with petroleum plastics etc. Still doesn't rebut the fact that everyone uses cars and electricity in this country and around the globe which is all created by fossil fuels, minus the nuclear power. Idk man, it just seems lik if you think about all our cars in America, all the powerplants, and we havent even gone into europe or china. How much is used in one day? Multiply that by 365. Multiply that by 50.

Edited by Sniprwulf, 13 March 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#18 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

A major change of climate will occur and we will be in the middle of it. Yes it is true that the Earth has been through many changes, but what happened to the organisms living on it? They all died. Even when the pangea formed; a small climate change whiped out a crapload of animals.

I saw this show on the discovery channel about future animals and evolution. One thing they said was that the human race will disappear.

#19 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

Yeah cyprus, gotta love that discovery channel. I'll admit it, the channels tight. I wouldn't be suprised to see a major change like yall said about yellowstone, I've read about that too.. how its sitting atop a huge volcano. It's kinda crazy to think about where the Earth was only 20000 years ago, which is sucha short time. Humans weren't evolved. Now we're all worried about what kind of vid card to buy. Earth's over a billion years old, I just think we've made a pretty big impact considering how long we've been here.

keepitcomin :tup:

#20 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

It's kinda crazy to think about where the Earth was only 20000 years ago, which is sucha short time. Humans weren't evolved.

That's 200 000 years, though 'humans' have been around for almost 3 million years just not Homo sapiens. It is still just a small fraction of life in total...
I have no doubt that life will continue after all this sh*t has settled, the question is just this: Will humans be able to colonize outer space before it's too late, or will we be able to mend our planet? I think the only hope today is science. But then there is one of the laws of ecology that says "for every advance in science there is a price for the environment" <-- I don't know how much stock I would put into that though...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users