• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Communist

Communist

Red Lazarus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Aight. In this thread, write, at whatever length, why the food in your state/country/what have you is the sh*t. Why? I'm hungry, I guess. Feel free to describe it at length, but let's not get into nutritional facts or recipies here.

One major rule: no dissing other people's states or food. This is intended to get stomachs rumbling, not tempers flaring. I'll go first.

I live in Minnesota, and there's more than corn and lutefisk to this state, although we have some damn fine corn. Life is going out on a boat or canoe in some little lake in the middle of nowhere, nice and quiet, and then pulling in your limit on our fine Minnesotan fish. It's not hard, unless you run your line into a bunch of weeds or get attacked by ninja, and do we have a f*ckton of fish. For the novice, there's the little guys like the sunny- small and easy to catch but damn good. Above that, the list never stops. Salmon (not as many, but there's about two freshwater varieties up in Mille Lacs or some lake therabouts), bass, walleyes, northerns, and maybe even a muskie if you're lucky :weee:. Don't bother with carp, though, carp suck. Too oily :tdown:.

If you're lucky enough to get here in late August-early September, check out the State Fair. Our fair is LEGENDARY, and not just for food-on-a-stick. But if it's food you want, there's plenty of that, too. Foot-longs, cheese curds (yuck), bucket-o-fries (water-bucket sized), lemonade, root beer, bucket of cookies, the milk stand (great combo there), and everything on a stick from walleye to alligator to deep-fried-twinkies :cool:. Bad for you but OH SO GOOD.

And if your food level is still unsated, I can refer you to the best restaraunts in the Twin Cities area. Convention Grill at 50th and France has the best classical American cooking you'll ever eat, as well as real milkshakes in old drugstore-style malt glasses. I mean real shakes- they come standard with a spoon. Boca Chica over in St. Paul is an excellent Mexican place with everythign you could want (including a fully stocked bar). Totino's is an Italian resteraunt that I still can't figure out what city it's in, but which gives you huge portions for moderate cost. And I mean huge when I say it. Al's Breakfast over in Dinkytown is only open 'til noon or so, but is a classic part of Mineapolis culture- there's only one counter, the place is tiny, and the food is excellent breakfast fare. And if you still have room for dessert, ask around for the Coldstone Creamery or the Grand Old Creamery- best ice cream in town.

-----

God, sorry. I get long-winded when I discuss the local fare. Your turn.

#2 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hmm Fried catfish with some lemon squeezed on it. f*cking delicious. With some hushpuppies and fries. Thats some tasty sh*t. You can find this sh*t anywhere in GA.

sh*t, I might have a fish fry now.

Another favorite of mine is LOW COUNTRY BOIL. It contains a whatever the f*ck you feel like putting in it. You can cook the items whole or cut into large pieces. I prefer shrimp, corn on the cob, sausage, and potatoes. You can put whatever you want in it. Just put the ingredients in a pot and boil them with some seasonings. While you wait for that, steam up some oysters and start shucking.

Also, there are like 5 mexican restaraunts in Warner Robins, Ga (where I live now). All of them are pretty much the same. f*cking tasty.

I could go on forever, but I don't feel like it.

#3 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

+1 fags

hooray for fat kids!

Edited by wyte mafia, 13 March 2007 - 03:58 PM.

#4 Splunk

Splunk

Guitar God

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

I live in NY so I gotta go with the classic ny style thin crust pizzaaaa best f*ckin food on earth :tup:

#5 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have to admit, NYC has everyone beat. You might have your awesome restaurants and what not, but they have entire districts. You have every market cornered; Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Irish, Italian, Mediterranean, and it goes on and on. Even if it's not in NYC, it's probably less than an hour away via the metro or as easy as crossing a bridge.

As for Florida, all I have to say is "Petty's." It's a restaurant/market that has everything from obscure seafood to any type of game/fowl imaginable. Plus if you're feeling frisky you can get their patented "12 pack in a bottle," which is a single beer with a 38% alcohol content.

#6 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

I guess I'll do Sweden then. (That's where lutfisk comes from, if you didn't know Commie. It's absolutely horrible),

What's good about Swedish cuisine? It's about 1000 years in the making. So where do I start? Ah, yes, winter foods.
Around Christmas there's alot of eating going on in Sweden. The best of all is "julbord" (smorgasbord's lesser known cousin). Usually eaten on Christmas eve (known as Midvinterblot in the viking days), julbord is a stuffing contest. There's almost everything Americans associate with Christmas (everything from ham to gingerbread cookies), along with plenty of fish (Swedish style caviar, minimum 3 varieties of Salmon, smoked eel, and 5 kinds of pickled herring :tup:), spiced breads, hard breads and plain old white bread for the weak. Along with Kale soup for your vegetable intake (actually pretty kick-ass). Traditionally there were also pigs' feet and blood soup, but they have fallen out of favor.

The summer solstice is also celebrated with food (and PLENTY of Vodka). Here it's mostly pickled herring (like 10 varieties), fresh baby potatoes cooked in dill (best way to eat 'taters by far), and smoked eel/salmon are enjoyed as well.
In late August there's a tradition called "kr�ftskiva" in which you stuff yourself with crayfish, and, you guessed it, PLENTY of Vodka.
In November there's "M�rten G�s" when you eat goose in masses.

Those are only the foods of holidays and celebrations. There's plenty of kickass foods in Sweden you can get all year around, don't have time to go in on it, but as far as good meats there's also Moose and Reindeer, which kick ass!

#7 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

I live in Rochester (upstate) NY and I have to say we have some pretty good shit thats local foodz.

THE MUTHERFUCKIN TRASH PLATE

A Trash Plate, garbage plate, rubbish plate or PLATE as we call it is as follows:

First you take one bigass plate and throw a ton of cube potatoes (or fries, homefries etc) on one half and a ton of mac salad on the other.

Next you throw 2 grounds (hamburgers but good ones) on top and throw some chease on there

Toss in a coupla handfulls of diced onions on top....

SMOTHER the bitch in ground beef hot sauce and spray a lil mustard on top.

Serve with one nice hunk of fresh bread and butter.

Many a folk (including myself) then take a bottle of Red Hot and spray that all over it.

They mak sound/look gross but they are THE SHIT. I have lived all over the country and I can say that Upstate (mainly Rochester) is really the only place to obtain said Plate.

Post up if you have had the luxury of gobbling one of these beasts. :tup:

BEHOLD:

Posted Image

I will not mock someone else's food of choice but I can say that anyone that has had the pleasure to consume one of these bitches at 4am after a night of heavy drinking will agree that TRASH PLATE>ALL

#8 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:53 PM

lolz.. trash plate comes with a guaranteed heart attack....

Well, as for me.. i like Burger King (Whoppers!! w00t w00t).... hehehhee

HEY! remember, no making fun of people's apetite...

#9 don_watson

don_watson

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:22 AM

I live in Connecticut and its not usually known for its food, but we kinda like it that way (keeps all the tourists from going to all the best joints).
but if you ever go to CT you have to stop in New Haven, its got food from all over the world. not only that, but its got the best pizza and burgers EVER. In fact, there are a lot of debates about New Haven being the birthplace of both - I'm not sure if its true, but heard it from all sorts of sources includin the food network.
for pizza check out Wooster Street, either Pepe's or Sally's. the lines are like a block long but its worth it. everyone has a favorite and its a huge fight for best-of pizza (heard the mob used to be involved). they're right down the street from each other and when you're real drunk/trashed, its fun to check out both cause so many people are there.. not to mention the foods awesome
for burgers there's this tiny little brick building, I forget where and I forget the name. but they serve them on toasted white bread with tomato and onions and cheese. there's no ketchup. but its the best burger ever. they claim to have invented the hamburger altogether. idk. but there's writing all over the place from decades of folks goin in and orderin the best food ever.
remember folks, its quality over quantity. CT ftw

#10 Communist

Communist

Red Lazarus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

I guess I'll do Sweden then. (That's where lutfisk comes from, if you didn't know Commie. It's absolutely horrible),

(Tasty Foods)

I'm not at all surprised that lutefisk came from Sweden, nor that a lot of our cuisine is simlar to yours- this state is Scandinavia's U.S. outpost (50% Swedesh myself- f*ck Finland :tup:). I also tried lutefisk once, when I was like three. I ate a lot more variety of things then than I did now, though I still have some variety, and even then I have to say that it was like eating a piece of hell itself. How can people eat that?

And I will give NYC the satisfaction of beating my resteraunts with their districts. But no other state has a better State Fair, I will assure you of that.

#11 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

I have no time or care for french Canadians, but I have plenty for poutine.

find something better than hot fries covered in soft cheese curd and drenched down with super strong and thick beef gravy

Posted Image

frickin awesome

KFC makes a version with their kickass chicken gravy. poutine purists may not like it, but screw them

Posted Image

#12 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Oh man so good with a load of bacon, green peppers, onions, and italian sausage.

#13 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

We get Donairs.. Spiced Meat processed then roasted on a Spit, shaved off, re-fried. Also fried is a Pita, then wrap the meat in the pita and put some Donair Sauce with Onions and/or Tomatoes. Get a large one, and a plunger, cause you might need it the next day. Perfect greasy treat while you're drinking, although very messy to eat (that adds to the drunk fun). :tup:

What it looks like when you order it:
Posted Image

Kind of looks like this, although generally wrapped in foil..
Posted Image

And where you go to get them - although there are other places.. this is the first and best IMHO. There are quite a few KOD's around here in various places.
Posted Image

#14 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

there used to be one place where I used to live in jersey who made the best fuckin gyro's ever... god I miss them :(

#15 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

yeah, here in worcester we have a place that is "legendary" , coney island..and the reason for the legend is some years ago...mainly back in the early to mid/late 90's their hotdogs used to be awsome, very delicious..now they just suck but hey.
and my now fav place is right off of rte 20, a buddy of mine owns the hotdog trailer called "BLUTOS HOTDOGS". best damn hotdogs ever.especially the cattlemans BBQ sauce he marinates them in.He should be back come warm weather...yay.

Edited by At The Gates, 14 March 2007 - 10:31 AM.

#16 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

Homemade apple pie!! :weee:
Not like the sh!t you get from the store. The key ingredient is lard.

#17 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

yeah, here in worcester we have a place that is "legendary" , coney island..and the reason for the legend is some years ago...mainly back in the early to mid/late 90's their hotdogs used to be awsome, very delicious..now they just suck but hey.
and my now fav place is right off of rte 20, a buddy of mine owns the hotdog trailer called "BLUTOS HOTDOGS". best damn hotdogs ever.especially the cattlemans BBQ sauce he marinates them in.He should be back come warm weather...yay.

I think you guys know my answer. Basically what Gates said except with chili and cheese on top.

#18 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

We'll around here we like the seafood. Alot. But sometimes you want more, you want river food.

This is where lonecabbage helps out.

This place is the sh*t, not only can you drive up in a truck or on a airboat but they have by far the best gator in Florida.

They also have Frog Legs, Turtle and Catfish to name a few river meals.

Anyway if your down in this area ( brevard county, Fl) look it up.

#19 TheHobo

TheHobo

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

believe it or not Escargot isthe best god dam thing on this earth. bring the flamming... :hate:

#20 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

We'll around here we like the seafood. Alot. But sometimes you want more, you want river food.

This is where lonecabbage helps out.

This place is the sh*t, not only can you drive up in a truck or on a airboat but they have by far the best gator in Florida.

They also have Frog Legs, Turtle and Catfish to name a few river meals.

Anyway if your down in this area ( brevard county, Fl) look it up.

man that looks friggin amazing. next time i'm in florida ima rent an airboat, get blazed on the way and mow down on some good ole florida gator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users